Strait Meeting Minutes-October 2, 2016

NSSSA Minutes From:                                                                                                                                                       

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20161002

Location: 1 Triton Brook Court, Antigonish.                                                                                                                              

Time of Commencement: 6:13pm                                                                                              

Time of Adjournment: 7:42pm                                                                                                                                                                    

Duration: 1 hour, 29 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Zac Foran, Paddy Wallace, Avery MacDonald, Monica Lumsden, Sara Murrin, Emma MacDougall, Cameron Muise, Kegan Palmer, George LeBlanc, Donald Jewkes, Kara MacDougall, Alex LeBlanc, Maria MacDonald, Logan Fox, Sam Silver, Mackenzie Casey.                                                                          

Present Non-Voting Members: Peter Woo, Dawn Thompson, Gordon Burns.                                                                             

Regrets: Travis Grace.

No-Shows: Jonas Lawrence, Tiffany MacLennan, Meagan Kettley, Julia Lawrence.    

Late: Wilfred Bowie.

                                                                                                                    

Updates:

 

3-Tions:

  • Began receiving RC’s forms and entering them into the database.
  • Will begin to register delegates once the forms are delivered to Kara.
  • Added all of RCs forms that we have received to the database.
  • Sent out a call out email to RC for those who didn’t give in their forms.
  • Decided to split up the forms during tonight’s meeting and to give Alex his forms on Monday.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs:

  • Session 1 for regional conference is almost complete.
  • In the process of fine-tuning sessions for S.M.I.L.E.
  • For skillbuilding applications, will do the same as last year where the skillbuilding applications are attached to delegate forms.

 

Public Relations:

  • Started going around to businesses and spoke to about 5 a day.
  • Going to follow up with some businesses later this week.

 

Public Relations Promotions:

  • Received an email back from 101.5 the hawk. Will talk on the phone about promotions Monday evening.
  • Made graphics for possible social media wall at S.M.I.L.E.
  • Added grade 9’s from SAERC to the SMILE Facebook page.
  • Could not find a 98.9 XFM contact.

 

WENDY’s:

  • Finished the EPIC outline.
  • Practiced and memorized cheers.
  • Collected some costumes for S.M.I.L.E.

 

Head School Reps:

  • All forms have been collected, and sent in.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Have made more fuzzies.
  • Started working on a packing list for grade nine event.

 

Secretary:

  • Sent minutes out to RC.
  • Posted minutes to website.
  • Placed Regional Cabinet apparel order. Will be ready for pickup before October 15th.

 

Co-Premiers:

  • By the end of the week we will have confirmed everything and signed all papers will Janice Gough.
  • Have not been signed an event coordinator for regionals yet.
  • Are now looking to get Tareq, a Syrian refugee as a keynote speaker. The son of the owner of Peace by Chocolate in Antigonish.

 

Head Chaperones:

  • Peter Woo will be a logistic at grade 9 event.

 

Head Logistics:

  • Chose Peter Woo and Tiffany as logistics.

Regional Advisor

  • Held a staff dinner, made 100% profit which will go to those who worked at the dinner (toward provincials).

 

New Business:

New ratio for advisors to delegates is 1 to 10.

Skillbuilding retreat for regionals will be on November 13th.

Before next meeting:

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs

-Manuals must be printed.

-Supplies for each group should be bought or found.

-Pick the skillbuilding pairs for grade 9 event.

WENDY’s

-Epic supplies bought or found. Decided on doctor costumes for RC (to go with the theme of epic).

-Epic must be completely planned.

 

Make sure to ask Paddy or Zac if you have any questions/comments/concerns regarding grade 9 event.

October 7th skillbuilding retreat will take place at StFX at 5 o’clock. Email will be sent with further details.

From there, RC will go to Julia Lawrence’s house, on Hawthorne Street. Directions will be sent out later. We will eat dinner, cooked by RC alumni, then have our RC meeting at her house. Paddy and Zac will also being doing personal-check ins this day.

So far, about 60 people going to grade 9 event. Not including ecole beau port, and richmond academy.

 

Motions:

 

New Positional Tasks:

For each new positional task, refer to the timeline.

Metro Meeting Minutes – September 25, 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

Metro RC Meeting

20160925

 

Location of Meeting: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 404

Time of Commencement: 19:06

Time of Adjournment: 20:41

Duration: One hour and thirty-five minutes

Attendance:

Present voting members: Joy Hannam, Saisha Rankaduwa, Samantha Delaney, Tyson Bears, Vibha Rakshita, Kaleigh McLeod, Brooke Kattenbusch, Gabrielle Torrealba, Celia Briand, Carly Dunn, Fortesa Sahiti, Becca MacAulay, Ciara Harris, Julia Mcintosh, Taryn Hanrahan, Armaan Dhillon, Nicholas Wells, Jillian Ryan

Present non-voting members: Jeremy Scallion

Regrets: Abbie Cull, Julia Lawrence

 

Updates

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The Welcoming Co-Chairs are in the process of obtaining a green screen to be used in the production of Foundations 2016’s welcoming video.

 

SkillBuilding Co-Chair: The questions to be used on the metro regional conference skillbuilding application have been created. Each potential skillbuilder must respond to theoretical situations, that they may encounter as a skillbuilder, on their application.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations are now ready to contact sponsors, contact is prepared to commence on September 26th, 2016. The public relation’s potential sponsor list has been divided among the Public Relation members of the metro cabinet. The metro cabinet is planning to contact the sponsors during the months leading up to conference. The Public Relations members have been frequently communicating and reviewing their turnover package for the year.

 

3-Tions: The 3-Tions require a mailing address to put on the registration forms for regional conference. A database of the metro cabinet members has been created. Some missing information will be filled in before regional conference registration opens.

 

PR Promo: The Public Relations of Promotion has continued updating Meet Metro Cabinet on twitter daily. Foundations 2016 has been announced online as this year’s metro regional conference name. The regional conference date has been announced as well on the metro twitter account. A draft of the delegate manual has been created along with the regional cabinet questions to be included within it.

 

Head School Rep: The Head School Reps have completed a few high school presentations about the NSSSA. They are contacting schools in two sets. One email will be sent out as a reminder to all the schools that have been involved with NSSSA before. Another will be sent out to schools that have never been involved with the NSSSA as a way of introducing the organization to their school. The head school reps have been visiting different schools in the metro region to do presentations and run a NSSSA table at club fairs.

 

Head Logistic: A sign has been designed for the metro regional conference Foundations 2016.

 

Wendy’s: The Wendy’s are continuing to collect costumes to be used at the metro regional conference. Previous Wendy’s are being contacted about how they went about running epic as a murder mystery. Two different epic ideas have now been created, one will be used for the metro regional conference epic (this one will be themed based upon a murder mystery) and the second will be used for the metro grade nine conference (theme has yet to be announced). The story line behind the murder mystery is being created using a plot generating website. The murder mystery plot was read aloud to the members of metro cabinet.

 

Co-Premiers: In the past week many people have been contacted in regards to speaking at the metro regional conference Foundations 2016, the Co-Premiers are awaiting quotes from each speaker. The metro regional conference venue has given confirmation to host Foundations 2016 on the proposed dates of November 12th – 13th. The regional conference venue has been booked prior to the booking of Foundations 2016 on the 12th – 13th for another group. This will result in some limitations to what buildings will be available for use at the metro regional conference. This will also impact meal times and accommodations.

 

New Business:

Conference Name: The metro regional cabinet must decide if Foundations 2016 will be made into an acronym or given a slogan.

 

A possible acronym for F.O.U.N.D.A.T.I.O.N.S 2016 could be,

Finding Opportunities, United Never Doubting Adolescents, Through Initiatives of New Success

A few proposed slogan ideas are:

Foundations 2106, Building platforms for success.

Foundations 2016, Building the support for success.

Foundations 2016, The Ground work for success.

Foundations 2016, Platforms for success.

The majority of the metro cabinet voted in favor of using a slogan with Foundations 2016 opposed to an acronym for such a long word. Foundations 2016, Platforms for success, won the vote to be the metro regional conference official slogan.

 

Important Dates: The Metro Regional Cabinet’s Head School Rep Retreat will be taking place at Auburn Drive High School on October 4th from 6:30pm until 9pm, cabinet members will be expected to arrive no later then 6pm. The metro regional conference Skill Building Retreat will be held on November 5th with a potential venue change to the École du Sommet. Registration for Foundations 2016 will open on October 1st. There will be a pajama meeting of the metro regional cabinet on October 2nd.

 

Spirit Wear: The point has been brought to the attention of the metro regional cabinet members that blue conference shirts have been selected for many of the recent NSSSA regional and provincial conferences. Despite this point, a vote among the Metro Cabinet resulted in 15 votes in favor of royal blue conference shirts for foundations 2016.

A new color must be selected for the Metro Cabinet’s “Metro What?” shirts to allow the members of cabinet to be more distinguishable from the royal blue conference shirts. Proposed colors for the “Metro What?” shirts are Pink, Red, and Green. A vote resulted in six individuals in favor of pink shirts, four individuals in favor of red shirts and seven individuals in favor of green shirts. Irish green shirts with white writing won the vote and will be the official color of the 2016 “Metro What?” shirts.

A new color must be selected for the Metro Regional Cabinet sweaters, as the previously selected burgundy is no longer available as an option. A vote took place between the colors Tweed (Dark Grey) and Black. The vote resulted in 13 people in favor of Tweed and 4 in favor of Black. Tweed won the vote and will be the official color of the 2016 metro regional cabinet’s ¼ zip sweaters.

 

Gabrielle Torrealba motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:41 and Taryn Hanrahan seconded said motion.

Metro Meeting Minutes – September 18, 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

Metro RC Meeting

20160918

 

Location of Meeting: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:06

Time of Adjournment: 19:51

Duration: 45 minutes

Attendance

Present voting members: Nicholas Wells, Taryn Hanranm, Abbie Cull, Samantha Delaney, Vibha Rakshita, Fortesa Sahiti, Joy Hannam, Ciara Harris, Brooke Kattenbusch, Gabrielle Torrealba, Kaleigh McLeod, Julia Mcintosh, Tyson Bears, Carly Dunn, Armaan Dhillon, Saisha Rankaduwa, Becca MacAulay, Celia Briand, Jillian Ryan

Present non-voting members: Jeremy Scallion, Julia Lawrence

 

Updates

Regional advisor: The regional advisor has contacted the NSSSA contracted clothing supplier in regards to cabinet spirit wear orders and color availability for this upcoming year.

 

Head logistics: The Logistics created their meet metro cabinet twitter introductions and sent their photos into the Metro PR of Promotions.

 

Wendy’s: The Wendy’s have selected a theme for regional conference Epic. The theme will be a murder mystery. The conference talent show form has been created. The Wendy’s ask if any members of metro cabinet have any costumes that would be available for use through out the conference, to message the Wendy’s to let them know what is available.

 

SkillBuilding Co-Chairs: The beginning of the skillbuilding manual for regional conference is in its first draft stage. This week the SkillBuilding Co-Chairs will be contacting Chocolate Lake Recreation Center to book the venue and they will be creating a menu for this year’s skill building retreat.

 

3-Tion: This year’s conference registration form is currently created in a PDF format. The 3-tions will convert this document format into Microsoft Word by the next metro cabinet meeting retreat.

 

Head School Reps: Virtually all school reps within metro have been selected and divided between the three Head School Reps. Auburn Drive High School has been booked as the venue for the metro head school rep retreat that will be happening on October 4th. A google sheets database has been created with the names of all school reps and advisors in the metro region.

 

Public Relations: A contact list has been created that will be filled in throughout this year with potential businesses to contact. Donation letters are being created based upon ones that have been used in previous years. All Public Relation responsibilities have been delegated among the Public Relations. The potential sponsor list has been growing. Before the next meeting the Public Relations will continue to edit donation letters.

 

Public Relations Promotion: Bios and pictures for #MeetMetroCabient have been received from nearly all metro cabinet members and are in the process of being tweeted daily.

 

Co-Premiers: The official conference date is pending awaiting approval venue confirmation. A to-do list has been created for each position on cabinet, these to-do lists will be accessible using the app Basecamp 2. Each member of metro cabinet is expected to download the application Basecamp 2.

 

New Business:

Name Conference: After much deliberation, we have narrowed down our potential conference name to one of two choices: STRIVE or FOUNDATIONS. FOUNDATIONS won the vote and will be Metro regions 2016 regional conference name. In place of creating an acronym for FOUNDATIONS 2016 the metro cabinet is considering coming up with a conference slogan, this slogan will involve foundations in some way. Pending pricing the cabinet’s “metro what” shirts may include a white blank block on the back to be filled in by each individual cabinet member, followed by “is the foundation to my success”. Our current idea for the grade nine conference name this year is ACHIEVE.

 

Miscellaneous: The timeline for regional conference registration currently is to open as soon as we have confirmation on the conference venue. Cheers involving gender roles will no longer be chanted at conference, because there is more then just male and female on the gender spectrum.

 

Spirit wear: The metro cabinet must still select what color their regional conference t-shirts will be for this year. Some proposed colors to think about before the next meeting are grey, white, black, and peach. The metro cabinet has decided to hold off on finalizing the conference shirts color until their design has been decided upon. The members of metro cabinet are to bring their money for cabinet spirit wear to the next meeting.

 

Brooke Kattenbusch motioned to adjourn the meeting at 19:51 and Samantha Delaney seconded said motion.

Metro Meeting Minutes – September 11, 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

Metro RC Meeting

20160911

 

 

Location of Meeting: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:10

Time of Adjournment: 20:30

Duration: Eighty minutes.

Attendance:

Present voting members: Joy Hannam, Saisha Rankaduwa, Samantha Delaney, Tyson Bears, Vibha Rakshita. Abbie Cull, Kaleigh McLeod, Brooke Kattenbusch, Gabrielle Torrealba, Celia Briand, Carly Dunn, Fortesa Sahiti, Becca MacAulay, Ciara Harris, Julia Mcintosh, Taryn Hanrahan, Armaan Dhillon

Present non-voting members: Qendresa Sahiti

Regrets: Julia Lawrence, Nicholas Wells, Jillian Ryan

 

Updates

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers’ timeline has been created since the metro cabinet’s last meeting and will be sent out to the members of the cabinet following the meeting.

 

Head School Representatives: The head school reps have created their own timeline for the year of what they want to get done and when. The three head school reps have divided the high schools of metro into three sections. Each rep will be responsible for contacting the reps at each school of their assigned section.

 

Public Relations of Promotion: The PR Promo has figured out what they will be adding to the delegate manuals for this upcoming year. Twitter will continue to be used for promotion throughout the year. The members of cabinet may be introduced using twitter to tweet short write ups about each metro cabinet member and include a photo of the said member.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations members have begun discussing what will be placed in this year’s delegate bags and are preparing to reach out to sponsors.

 

3-Tions: The 3-Tions have figured out the excel database that they will be using for this year. Their laptops have been put in order for the year. They must organize how they will be receiving the key from Abe.

 

Wendy: The Wendys have been communicating frequently, in order to stay coordinated with each other.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The Skill building Co-Chairs have created a timeline for all their deadlines leading up to the regional conference. A theme has been proposed for each skill building session. The games played in skill building sessions are going to fit into each of the different sessions themes.

 

Secretary: The Secretary received response emails from nearly all the metro cabinet on the emailed minutes from our previous meeting. The Secretary will be contacting cabinet members that did not receive this email to confirm contact information.

 

Advisor: The metro cabinet Advisor called into the meeting to introduce herself and position to the present members of metro cabinet.

 

New Business:

Applying The Eight Key Concepts: The metro cabinet reviewed the Nova Scotia Secondary School Students Association eight key concepts. The members of the cabinet discussed how the eight key concepts apply to cabinet’s weekly meetings.

The NSSSA Eight Key Concepts

1.Speak for I

2.No killer statements

3.Leveling out

4.Business never personal

5.Positive internal focus

6.Right to pass

7.No Unfinished Business

8.Speaker in charge

 

Introductions: The cabinet members introduced themselves and a favorite pastime.

 

Conference Names: The members of cabinet came up with ideas for possible conference names and acronyms for this year’s metro regional conference. The proposed ideas are as follows: M.O.V.E., S.T.R.I.V.E., R.E.V.I.V.A.L., S.H.O.C.K., R.O.L.E., M.O.R.E., E.X.T.R.A., I.M.A.G.I.N.E.

 

Critical Path: The timeline leading up to the regional conference for each cabinet position has been created. Due dates listed on the critical path are a suggestion but also the cut off time. A task may be completed early but ideally not any later then the listed date. The regional cabinet reviewed their critical path of everything that must be done and when leading up to the metro regional conference. Prior to the next meeting of the metro regional cabinet each position must complete certain tasks. The 3-Tions must review the database. As soon as the 3-Tions have completed the regional conference registration forms they are to bring them into the next meeting of the metro cabinet to be filled out by the members of cabinet. The Head School Reps must plan the head school rep retreat, book a venue, and find a school rep for each high school in the metro region. The Public Relations must compose a sponsor list of potential contacts for when the time comes to begin reaching out to sponsors, plan conference engagement sessions and begin thinking of people that could come to the conference to lead engagement sessions. The Public Relations of Promotion must continue promoting on twitter and is encouraged to reach out to other forms of advertisement such as the newspaper and radio. The Skill Building Co-Chairs must have the questions for skill building applications prepared, review the past three years of skill building manuals to ensure skill building sessions are not repeated, make a menu, and choose a venue for the skill building retreat. The Welcoming Co-Chairs must collect yarn donations and start making fuzzies. The Wendy’s must figure out how they plan to run epic, create a talent show application form, and practice their cheers. The Secretary must edit and send out the minutes of this meeting. All members of cabinet must continue to think of conference names for this year’s regional conference.

 

Important Dates: The proposed date of the head school rep retreat is October 4th.         

The proposed date of the skill building retreat is November 5th, this date will be placed on the skill building applications so that applicants will have enough notice to book themselves off work. The metro cabinet co-premiers will both be away from September 27th to October 2nd at the Canadian Student Leadership Conference, they will be hard to contact between these dates. Ideally the metro cabinet will open regional conference registration on September 26th 2016. It has been decided that on Sunday the 30th of October the cabinet will have a Halloween themed meeting that will include festive costumes.

 

Scholarships: The metro cabinet hopes to fund raise enough money in scholarships to allow any individual who wishes to attend conference to do so without financial strain stopping them. Some suggested fundraising ideas include the ford test drive fundraiser (for each person you get to come to the dealership and test drive a car on a certain day, ford gives you $20.00), a BBQ, a wine and cheese styled night for parents, and a silent auction of donated art. The members of cabinet will also be considering to have the funds raised matched by larger companies.

 

Spirit Wear: The members of cabinet order two pieces of spirit wear every year. This year the Metro Cabinet has voted in favor of T-Shirts that say “Metro What?”; in the proposed color of baby blue if said color is available to the cabinet as an option. For the second piece of clothing the metro cabinet has voted in favor of ¼ zip sweaters, in the proposed color of burgundy.

 

Gabrielle Torrealba motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:30 and Tyson Bears seconded said motion.

Metro Meeting Minutes – August 28, 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

Metro RC Meeting

20160828

 

Location of Meeting: St. Francis Xavier University

Time of Commencement: 8:41

Time of Adjournment: 9:32

Duration: Fifty-one minutes.

Attendance:

Present voting members: Abbie Cull, Armaan Dhillon, Becca MacAulay, Brooke Kattenbusch, Carly Dunn, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Fortesa Sahiti, Gabrielle Torrealba, Jillian Ryan, Joy Hannam, Julia Mcintosh, Kaleigh McLeod, Saisha Rankaduwa, Samantha Delaney, Tyson Bears, Vibha Rakshita.

Present non-voting members: Jeremy Scallion

Regrets: Julia Lawrence, Qendresa Sahiti, Taryn Hanrahan.

 

Updates

SkillBuilding Co-Chairs: The basic layout of this year’s skillbuilding manual has been designed; a few pages for each section have already been produced as drafts.

 

Introductions took place among the members of cabinet to commence the meeting; each member stated their name, current school, position on the metro cabinet and another piece of information about themselves.

 

New Business:

Contact: Gmail is to be used by metro cabinet as a means of communication throughout the year. Documents will be shared using Google drive among the Metro Cabinet members. Each member of cabinet is recommended to add their cabinet positions into their gmail signatures. Phone calls and emails are needed for 3-tions and Public relations to properly execute their required tasks of their positions. Keep in mind that phone calls are always an ideal and straight forward means of communication and a verbal agreement where one must be aware and keep track of what they are saying. Members of cabinet should be aware that emails are a favorable means of communication due to the ability one has to keep records of the contact they have made with others.

 

Meeting attendance: Attendance to metro regional cabinet meetings is mandatory for all members of metro cabinet. If a member is unable to attend a meeting they must let the secretary and their co-premiers know at least twenty-four hours prior to the meeting that they are unable to attend. If marked as a no show to more than three meetings in a row said member’s commitment to the cabinet will be revaluated.

 

Social Media: Accounts of NSSSA cabinet and committee members are expected to maintain a professional standard of what they choose to share online. This may include filtering through old posts and being aware of what is posted in the past, present and future.

 

Work with a partner: Many of the positions on the metro cabinet entail work with a partner to accomplish a common goal. For this to be successful said partners must practice frequent communication with each other. There should be a certain level of friendship between partners on the metro cabinet. If, however your partner is showing a lack of commitment to the position they hold on cabinet and their duties as a partner, inform the co-premiers directly of this issue. The co-premiers are always there at the aid of all cabinet members when any conflicts may arise.

 

Conference Names: The metro cabinet has begun the process of picking out possible conference names for this upcoming year. The members of cabinet are hoping to continue potentially using an acronym for the conference name; as this is a tradition as well as an icebreaker topic of discussion for the delegates allowing them to talk about what the conference name really means. Some suggested acronyms discussed at this meeting were A.C.T. (Approaching Challenges Together) and O.U.T. (Offer Understanding Teamwork), L.I.T. (Leadership in Teamwork) and U.P. (Utilising Potential) and A.C.U.T.E. (Approaching Challenges Until the End). Potential names for our regional and grade nine conferences are to be discussed to a further extent at the next meeting of the metro cabinet.

 

Grade Nine Conference: The only reason for having the grade nine conference before the regional conference would be if the regional conference allowed grade nine attendees. The metro cabinet has suggested that there would not be enough time allowed for in the year to have the grade nine conference first and still register all the grade nines for the upcoming regional conference. Members of the metro cabinet have brought up that the new grade nines may be lacking in developed leadership skills that would allow them to fully gain everything that they could from a regional conference, unless they first experienced leadership training in the grade nine conference layout. The movement of the grade nine conference to an earlier period in the year may also result in a decrease in the number of grade nine attendees at the NSSSA provincial conference due to a larger time gap in between conferences that their grade level is capable of attending.

 

Younger students involved with the NSSSA: The metro cabinet has come to conclude that we are opposed to opening NSSSA conferences to attendees below a grade nine level. The younger students would not be able to fully appreciate and gain from what the conference should offer them, the same as it would when they reach a higher grade level.

 

Regional Conference: The current proposed date of the metro regional conference is November 12th, 2016 at Mount St. Vincent University. The students attending the university will be away for the long weekend allowing lots of space for the conference to take place. The downside to this proposed date is that it may result in lower numbers of delegate attendees due to families going away for the long weekend.

 

Metro cabinet: Metro regional cabinet meetings will be Sunday nights at 19:00 potentially at Mount St Vincent University beginning on September 11th, 2016.

 

Brooke Kattenbusch motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:32 and Tyson Bears seconded said motion.

Strait Meeting Minutes-September 25, 2016

NSSSA Minutes From:                                                                                                                                                          

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20160925

 

Location: 32 Colin Boyd Lane.                                                                                                                             

Time of Commencement: 6:08pm                                                                                               

Time of Adjournment: 7:36pm                                                                                                                                                                  

Duration: 1 hour, 28 minutes.

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Paddy Wallace, Zac Foran, Avery MacDonald, George LeBlanc, Logan Fox, Sara Murrin, Monica Lumsden, Alex LeBlanc, Will Bowie, Maria MacDonald, Donald Jewkes, Kara MacDougall, Sam Silver, Travis Grace, Cameron Muise, Emma MacDougall.                                                                          

Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson.                                                                              

Regrets: Peter Woo, Tiffany MacLennan, Julia Lawrence, Gordon Burns, Jonas Lawrence, Megan Kettley, Mackenzie Casey, Kegan Palmer.

No-Shows:

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions:

  • Began to receive registration forms for Grade 9 event.
  • Started to put RCs information in database.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs:

  • In the midst of creating session 1 for regionals.

 

Public Relations:

  • Finished what we could on the delegate manual.
  • Contacted Awesome Antigonish for their October grant.
  • Made a spreadsheet of grade 9 how tos.
  • Fixed up the talent show form that Travis sent.
  • Corporate package is complete.

 

WENDY’s:

  • Practiced cheers from the Cheer Bible.
  • Have cheers set for grade 9 event.

 

Head School Reps:

  • All the school reps have the forms and are planning to have all the presentations completed by Friday September 23rd.
  • Sent an email to all of the principals in the Strait Region regarding forms and the registration process for Grade 9 Event.
  • Went to Richmond and Ecole Beau-Port on Tuesday September 20th, for presentations. There were 6 students that showed up at Richmond and they were all very interested and took extra forms for their friends. There were 10 students at Ecole Beau-Port, and they were all interested as well.
  • Held a presentation for the grade 9s at guysborough academy, which was also successful.
  • All school reps held presentations at their school, which means the only school without a grade 9 presentation was Inverness.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Collected more yarn.
  • Made more fuzzies.
  • Received some puzzles from Alex (left over from last year), for the grade nine event welcoming activity.

Public Relations Promo:

  • Made official smile Facebook page.
  • Promoted smile Facebook page to other social medias.
  • Shared and spread smile official forms.
  • Emailed Kyler Bell to talk about promotions with StFX.

Secretary:

  • Contacted a representative at Ross Screen Print. Did not hear back from them for a while. Called and spoke with a different representative who said the one I had made contact with would be away until Monday September 26th.
  • Sent out minutes to RC.

 

Co-Premiers:

  • Went to StFX and had a meeting with Susan Grant. Our contract with StFX is pretty much complete. Have to make a decision on the meal option for Regional conference-either at meal hall or bloomfield.
  • We will be assigned an event coordinator soon.
  • Susan said we can put out the Regionals forms as soon as we want, and can also start promoting them as soon as we want. This means we can and will get rid of hard/soft deadline.
  • Went to SAERC for a tour of the school with the principal.
  • Were in contact Stephanie Purcell, Zac Crouse’s manager.
  • Had the school presentation at Dr. J for grade 9s, and passed out forms for grade 9 event.

 

Head Logistics:

  • Considered people as Logistics for Regional conference.

 

Head Chaperones:

  • Waiting to receive forms for S.M.I.L.E,
  • Promoting to friends to chaperone at Regional conference.
  • Ready for Regionals forms to come out.

 

New Business:

We will have a skill building retreat (for grade 9 event), personal check-ins and RC meeting on October 7th, time and location TBD. It is extremely important to attend this meeting. We will have a debrief of the grade 9 event the day after grade 9 event (October 16th). Location has not been decided yet, however it will probably take place at Maria MacDonald’s house. This is the day that we could potentially film the RC video. It will be a bonding type of day to relax after grade 9 event.

We may do a survey for the grade 9s after grade 9 event to ask them about their general likes and dislikes about the event. This will be a great way to get feedback then to make any changes for regionals.

Discussion brought up by the PR’s about how tos: who is presenting each how to, what supplies are needed, and any questions/comments/concerns RC has about how tos.

Discussion about epic activities: suggestions were made.

 

New Positional Tasks:

For each new positional task, refer to the timeline.

Conference Committee Meeting Minutes – September 17, 2016

NSSSA Minutes From:

Conference Committee Meeting

09172016

Location: Mount Saint Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 404

Time of Commencement:11:06

Time of Adjournment:12:22

Duration of Meeting: 1 hour 16 minutes

Attendance and Regrets:

Present Voting Members- Kassandra Kelbratowski, Aidan MacFarlane, Cameron Muise, Alex Leblanc, Isaac Hurshman, Donald Jewkes, Sara Murrin, Rebecca MacKeen, Sam Silver, Fortesa Sahiti, Abbey McClung, Alexandra Hannam

Present Non-Voting- Chris Gordon, Peter Woo, Liam Haliburton, Katelyn Libbus

Regrets- Nicholas Wells, Mullen Boutler, Tiffany MacLennan, Jenna MacEachern, Jenna Viscount, Tineke Weld

No Shows-

New Business:

Changes/Improvements: Working on finding ways to give delegates more free time at conference; possibly before or after meals. Was an issue for delegates at the last conference.

Dance: Exceeding Expectations dance was in a big space, and was echoey. The DJ did not play good music; played strange remixes, and would not take requests. The DJ booth was in a corner, it was very hot, and was hard to hear the music. Looking into an alternate to dance, maybe late-nighter connected to dance, but different space must be found. At the dance two years ago (Taking Charge 2015), the space was more confined and it was a Much Music video dance with video screens and activities. Projectors could be put up, have some activities with a host, will be looked into at a later date.

Scholarships: STFX gives money for scholarships, the committee may look into further fundraising at a later date.

Basecamp: Basecamp is a website/app where committee members can set and manage to-do lists. Each position will have their own set of to-do tasks to complete for conference. If committee members cannot complete a to-do in the allotted time frame, a comment can be added to the thread to ensure that the committee is aware, and the to-do has not been forgotten. Notifications are sent to everyone on the committee when a task is completed. This encourages and provides extra motivation to complete tasks. The app is called Basecamp2 for iPhone.

Spiritwear: Spiritwear options for committee were debated. Committee voted to purchase crewneck sweaters as main spiritwear, and voted to decide a secondary article of spiritwear at a later date. Clothing will be ordered early so that it may be worn prior to Provincial Conference. There will be a Facebook poll at a later time to decide on colours.

Tasks for the Month:

Welcoming Co-Chairs- Brainstorm ideas for Welcoming Activity.

WENDYS- Make the first draft of the talent show form. Start to collect costumes. Will be sharing epic with Skill-building Co-Chairs.

3-tions- Get to know each other.

Public Relations- Gather ideas of potential sponsors, look into last year’s list of sponsors. Try to find sponsors involved with other events.

Skill building Co-Chairs- Begin brainstorming what each session will focus on. Come up with topics for each session, at least 1 new activity in per session. Look through old Skillbuilding manuals for reference. Will be sharing epic with the WENDYS.

Secretary- Send out completed minutes.

Head Logistics- Begin coming up with logistical plans.

All- Meet with your partner to create timelines of tasks to be completed throughout the year. Send to Co-Chairs within the week so that the timelines can be added to Basecamp.

Alexandra Hannam motions to adjourn. Donald Jewkes seconds, motion carried, meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: October 23rd at Saint Francis Xavier University at 11:00am

Strait Meeting Minutes-September 18, 2016

NSSSA Minutes From:

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20160918

 

Location: 1 Triton Brook Court, Antigonish

Time of Commencement: 6:06pm                                                                                                

Time of Adjournment:7:58pm                                                                                                                                                                    

Duration: 1 hour, 52 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Zac Foran, Paddy Wallace, Avery MacDonald, Monica Lumsden, Alex LeBlanc, Wilfred Bowie, Sara Murrin, Emma MacDougall, Cameron Muise, Kara MacDougall, Donald Jewkes, Mackenzie Casey, Logan Fox, George LeBlanc, Maria MacDonald, Sam Silver.                                                                                

Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson.                                                                              

Regrets: Peter Woo, Tiffany MacLennan, Jonas Lawrence, Gordon Burns, Meagan Kettley, Kegan Palmer, Julia Lawrence.

Late: Travis Grace- arrived at 7:37pm

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions:

  • Sent the delegate and advisor SMILE forms Abe and he finalized them.
  • Drafted confirmation emails for SMILE and LIFT UP.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs:

  • Finished grade 9 skillbuilding manual.
  • Lists of all sessions for regionals.
  • Have backpocket games.

 

Public Relations:

  • Edited the updated corporate package and donation letter.
  • Sent out emails and messages for grade nine how-tos.
  • Confirmed How-to NSSSA.
  • Confirmed several RC members for How-tos.

 

Public Relations Promo:

  • Started to promote smile on our social medias.
  • Worked alongside the webmaster to learn how to properly engage on social media.
  • Sent out official emails to 101.5 the Hawk and 98.9 XFM.

 

WENDY’s:

  • Finished and sent the PR’s the talent show forms.
  • Memorized more cheers from the cheer bible.

 

Head School Reps:

  • Booked a presentation at Ecole Beau-Port for Tuesday September 20th. The principal hasn’t emailed back with a time yet. We are hoping to get a response by tomorrow so we can ask Richmond’s principal if the Head School Reps can go to Richmond Academy the same day, as the two schools are only 20 minutes apart.
  • Logan and Maria were trained over the phone on Tuesday evening with the Head School Representative Coordinator, Mitchell Archibald.
  • Logan and Maria held the School Rep Retreat Saturday, September 17th for the School Reps in Strait region. There were 3 students besides Logan and Maria who attended; Ethan Fraser from Cape Breton Highlands Academy, Daphne O’Clair from Pomquet, and Mackenzie Casey from Canso Academy. They said it was very beneficial for them and they felt a lot more comfortable with their position when they left.
  • Ethan from CBHA said he is comfortable to present to the grade nines at his school about Grade 9 Event, and Daphne said the same about her school.
  • There is only one school that either hasn’t replied, or doesn’t have a School Rep to do the presentation for grade nine event, and that is Inverness.
  • Other than Inverness, all schools will have an NSSSA Presentation given to their grade nine students within the next two weeks.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Collected more yarn and made some more fuzzies.
  • Going to ask Alex LeBlanc about getting some of his supplies (puzzles) left over from grade nine conference 2015.

 

Secretary:

  • Sent out minutes to RC.
  • Didn’t get a chance to go into Ross Screen Print- will go early next week.

 

Co-Premiers:

  • Contacted Principal Janice Gough (By phone) contract is being created with town of Port Hawkesbury Recreation. Hopefully going Wednesday,
  • Contact from Stephanie Purcell (Zac Crose’s manager) phone call discussion Monday.
  • Contact From Susan Grant for a meeting on Monday at 3 to discuss our conference more before assigned an event coordinator.
  • Created a full itinerary for Regional Conference.
  • Called Janice Gough on Tuesday. We will have same setup as last year for grade 9 event at SAERC. She booked the rooms for us, although the auditorium is already booked so we will use gym.
  • Sent out the grade 9 advisor/delegate forms to webmaster.
  • Will release grade 9 forms on Monday the 19th-collected on the 29th.
  • Decided that Paddy will deal with finances, Zac will deal with emails.
  • Going to charge $25 for grade 9 event.
  • Asked Molly about Awesome. Antigonish-isn’t a reason why we can’t apply. Although we still need to confirm this with stfx.
  • Regional forms-will talk to event coordinator at St.FX to put a cap on forms in the contract. This will push delegates to get their forms in faster.
  • Going to have personal check-in at skillbuilding retreat for RC on October 9th- or a different date on google hangouts. RC members can discuss any questions or concerns they have about their position or their experience on Cabinet that they don’t want to talk about at our weekly meetings.

 

Head Chaperones:

  • Hope to have chaperone forms in and submitted by three weeks before Regional Conference.

 

Regional Advisor

  • Sent photos to the PRs of the list of community groups and services which are listed at the back of the Antigonish Quarterly.

 

Head Logistics:

  • Considered people for logistic positions at regional conference.

 

New Business:

  • Colours analogy-going to stray away from red and blue analogy to explain the limits of physical contact that delegates can have with each other. Far better off to just be direct with them.
  • Will not have a co-ed sleeping room. Parents will not send their kids to conference if they know that girls and boys will both be sleeping in the same room.
  • Not many complaints about the sleeping arrangements that we already have in place-parents just assume that it is split by gender. Sleeping arrangements will not change. Although it was discussed to have a room for those who feel uncomfortable with their sleeping arrangements at conference.

 

Meet Your RC Video

  • No specific theme.
  • We want to make the video fun and lighthearted, but at the same time, inform. delegates about what we do on cabinet.
  • Table scene from Too many cooks-adult swim.
  • Sitcom idea-family dynamic.
  • Intro theme from Friends or Full House.

 

New Positional Tasks:

For each new positional tasks, refer to the timeline.

 

Sou’West Meeting Minutes – September 25, 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

 

Sou’West RC Meeting

 

20160925

Time of Commencement: 1:16 p.m.

Time of Adjournment: 3:02 p.m.

Duration: 1hr 46mins

 

Attendance & Regrets:

 

Present Voting Members: Amy Oickle, Amanda Addington, Hannah Goucher, Abe Chidiac, Amber Jelfs, Meredith Baine, Maria Cano, Kate Whynot, Rebecca Cambell, Tatum Arcon, Makayla Whalley

Present Non-Voting Members: Ian Kent, Eve Keilidh Sabine, Peter Woo

Regrets: Bailey Mosher, Megan Slaunier, Andrew Davis, Kaitlyn Wentzell, Thomas Owen, Carly Kinsman

No-Shows:

 

Positional Updates:

 

Skillbuilding Co-Chair:

-Both were very busy so weren’t able to get together and collaborate on ideas since the last meeting.

-Looking into games.

-Wants Jr Manual for examples (Eve has one and will pass it on).

-Need AWESOME skillbuilders- evaluations are very helpful.

 

Public Relations:

-Have donation letter. Need to change a few things (not 400 delegates)

-Dividing donation letters. So we cover the whole region.

-Received itinerary example for delegate manual.

-Talk to local businesses in Shelburne for ‘swag’, money, any kind of contribution or donation.

Follow up with businesses that were past sponsors.

-Radio letter complete. Needs to be sent to Amy and Tatum ASAP.

-This week Meredith is going to tweet and post about forms to spread the word.

 

 

Welcoming Co-Chair:

-Both have been really busy.

-Making fuzzies, knows where to get more yarn if needed.

-Idea for Pokémon cards as welcoming game? “Gotta catch ’em all”

-Proposed minute to win it challenges while fuzzying

-Would like to have a large visible itinerary at Jr Conference so everyone can see it.

 

Head School Rep:

-Received contact info for all Sr and Jr High Schools in Sou’West!

-Gained contact with Vice Principals, Principals, Guidance Counselors, Sent information to all 28 Jr high schools. Heard back from 5 schools (positively, so far).

– Needs to contact Matt Morash @ Forest Heights ASAP.

 

Food Co-Chair:

-Neither were present

-Meeting with Amy on Wednesday about grocery list and meeting updates.

-Ask Liam Haliburton for apples – connections.

-Goal to have all things be biodegradable!

 

3-tion:

-All forms are done and are ready to be passed out at all schools as soon as possible, they will be up on the website later this week.

-All forms MUST go to Kate & Maria.

-Skillbuilder Forms, delegate forms, money/cheques send to KATE and MARIA.

 

Secretary:

-Created a poll on the Facebook group for cabinet Spirit Wear.

-Design has been finalized and orders will soon be made.

 

WENDYS:

-Andrew MIA?

-NO talent show for Jr Conference, but yes for regional conference.

-Chose theme for EPIC: “Mission STS-51-L” Named after an actual Space Shuttle.

-Print off rocket ship and groups have to find the pieces. Games not decided but will talk more this week.

-No cheers that call out students. Jr’s may be too shy, don’t want to make them feel uncomfortable.

New Business:

 

-Regional conference will be February 11th-12th 2017 at Digby School.

-Jr Conference is November 12th 2016 from 1PM – 7PM at Shelburne School.

-All cabinet members must fill out the conference form for the next meeting. The info MUST be in the database!

-Pass out as many forms as possible around your own school – we want to bring up the attendance numbers.

-Who do we want for motivational speakers? Stella Bowles? LaHave project? Jacob Lingley? Must be decided as a cabinet ASAP.

-Have workshop options for those who don’t enjoy ‘just listening’.

-Bubble Soccer from Forest Heights: free? Possibly for EPIC?

-Take the time to invest in nice conference t-shirts, something worth wearing and comfortable.

 

 

Inclusion Committee Meeting Minutes – September 18 2016

NSSSA Minutes from:

Inclusion Committee meeting

20160918

Location of Meeting: Mount Saint Vincent University, Rosaria, Room 105
Time of Commencement: 10:23
Time of Adjournment: 12:29
Duration: 2 hours and 6 minutes
Attendance:
Present voting members: Joy Hannam, Colbee Porter, Taryn Hanrahan, Bronwyn Heighton, Jillian Ryan, Ellen Legge, Courtney Barkhouse, Alexandra Hannam, Abbie Cull, Christina Nickerson, Micci Davy.
Present non-voting members: Connor Mckiggin, Cath Densmore, Maggie Mcneil.
Regrets: Emma Miller, Ciara Harris, Meagan Soley Meagan Kettley, Adrienne Munroe, Matt Walsh, Emily Saulnier, Maddie Tennant, Robyn Metcalfe.
No shows:
Updates:

WENDYs: Have read though the cheers, and has a copy of the cheer bible, some cheers maybe out dated so will be revised. The WENDYs also have the idea of doing a Canadian Safari for Epic and have an enclosure of Canadian Animals (Committee members being the animals) and have the animals get out and then the delegates need to get them back. Discussed about doing the Juicy Wiggle dance but having it being modified for the people with different abilities.  3-tions: No update.
Secretary: Made template for the minutes, and organized the attendance.
Public Relations: Received notes about position of PR from training retreat in August.
Public Relations of Promotions: Made the Twitter “Meet the committee” series.
Welcoming Co-Chairs: Got some donations for yarn and also wrote up a donation letter to request donations. A total of 75 fuzzies were made so far. Emails are being written up and will be ready soon.
Communications: Talked with head school rep coordinator on PC, and connected with the other head schools reps within the NSSSA.
Skillbuilding Chair: No update.
Delegate Assistant Chair: No update.
Co-Chairs: Full committee now, since finding the last 3-tion member Abbie Cull. Had a call with finance team, and looked at high schools for venues, because high schools are most inclusive and helpful, and the aim is to use one floor for easy accessibility. Looking at high schools like Citadel, Lockview, Auburn, and more, but looking particularly at Citadel, since it is in the central part of Halifax, and most accessible for people and the conference is one day long. Looking to contact people today (September 18) for a venue and to secure a date.

New Business:
Tentative dates: Depending on availability, since the committee wants to ensure the attendance of all the committee members. In the next two weeks dates will be solidified.
March 4
March 25
April 1st
Positional Updates: Must be sent to the secretary and the co chairs, emails will be sent to ask for updates week or so before the meeting date.
New ideas: Any ideas for past inclusion conferences to change or improve upon, went around and shared ideas. Committee took 5 minutes to think about the changes they would like to be made for future inclusion conferences:
– Epic, have different challenges, and levels for the different abilities. Hard copies, and posters to put up into the learning centres must be sent out to schools.
– Make videos and such to promote the conference, though posters, social media and more, communications and public relations promo work together to make this happen
– Contact Special Olympics, to get more students involved in the conference.
– Epic less condensed, and better logistics, remove some of the race aspect and make it so that there is less walking, as some delegates can get overwhelmed, also let the time aspect of epic feel less rushed and pressed.
– Make Epic a point system, skill building group stay together and skillbuilders lead epic, similar to Exceeding Expectations last year, so then the delegates and the delegate assistants don’t have to go station to station.
Opportunities fair: Focus on the opportunities fair more this year, with a minimum of 10 tables, and template that the PRs made, and have opportunities that pertain to the conference and delegates. This can be going on as parents are dropping off their child, so that the parents can be engaged with the opportunities being offered, and can see what may interest their child. This will happen as the delegates are coming in and during morning registration. The opportunities hope to have relevance to the Inclusion conference so that the opportunities will be able to actively engage the delegates, rather than just the delegate assistants. PR has a list of opportunities to contact. Tables with universities, like SMU or Dal can be used to talk about the transition that students with special needs have and also to get involved in their university, and give information to the parents as well.

Organizations and How to’s: Idea is that the opportunities/organization, will be able to stay and see the conference for the morning and provide how to’s later in the day. The goal is to develop relationships with organizations that are similar to the inclusion committee, and what it stands for and enable them to connect and work all together. This will also allow people to see conference, then run their how to sessions rather than doing a session and then leaving.

Spirit wear: Posted on the Facebook page to vote on the type of spirit wear, design and the fit. Winning the poll is the cardigans, with the conference shirt under them and can be used as formal attire, and an example cardigan was shown. Price and colours are not yet determined. Different colour shirts will be used to distinguish the committee, dependent on the availability of the colours.

Inclusion committee as Delegate Assistants: “Does the delegate require a delegate assistant” and/or something along those lines will be written on all the conference registration forms, including regional and provincial conferences. Inclusion committee members will be the primary delegate assistants, since the committee this year has members on different regional cabinets as well, people can be contacted from the various regions to be a delegate assistant at the conferences. The co-chairs will offer the opportunity to the committee, if someone is on a Regional cabinet then the opportunity can be given to someone else. This will allow for conferences to be more inclusive, and allow for at the promotion and allowing of a more inclusive environment in the NSSSA conferences.

Name of conference:
ROOTS- Realistically Overcoming Obstacles To Succeed

Food at Conference: Most high schools have an agreement with a catering company so for the conference the food can be made, an ideas is a sandwich bar, to allow for a variety of food for the people. Lunch and supper is what needs to be dealt with, may look for finding options and donations to keep the conference sustainable. PR must give minimum 2 month in advance to get the food donations, from places like Sobey’s, and Tim Hortons. Certain dietary concerns will be talked about more in depth once the forms are done.
New Positional Tasks
Secretary: Respond to the minutes, and read and correct them members have 24 hours, and when responding to the email include the code word. Contact for information on spirit wear.
Communications: Contact head school rep coordinator and discuss emails, slides etc to send to schools about the inclusion conference at the other regional conferences.
WENDYs: Now with conference name start thinking of how to do epic in said theme, and plan what can be done during down time at conference like helping to take photos. Short dance that WENDYs teach to the delegates and delegate assistants will be about 30 minute long, WENDYs can decide to do this or not.
3-tion: Ask Abe for the template of registration, and put the keys received in a safe spot.
Skillbuilding chair: Have 4 sessions, and organize types of activities to do in the group, focus on the intro session to begin with, and sessions are typically an hour long.
Welcoming co chairs: Start on email template and make more the fuzzies.
PR: Have all documents, corporate package, and donation money, prepared for once the date is selected.

Abbie Cull motioned to adjourn the meeting at 12:29 and Taryn Hanrahan seconded said motion.

Next meeting: Tentativly October 23 2016, most likely at Mount Saint Vincent.