Inclusion Meeting Minutes 20180929

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20180929

 

Location: MSVU Evaristus Room 102                                                                    

Time of Commencement:10:07am                                                                                            

Time of Adjournment: 11:03am

Duration: 50 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Maggie Biggs, Alyssa Malay, Brianna Fitzgerald, Ciara Harris                          

Present Non-Voting Members: Meagan Soley

Regrets: Margaret Lee, Cath Densmore, Anna Campbell, Angus Kennedy, Mitchell Aguinaga, Ella Stacey, Jasmine Metzler, Emily Webb, Matt Walsh, Renee McLeod, Kaleigh McLeod

No-Shows:

                                                                                                             

To start the meeting, the committee introduced themselves, and then Ciara explained how each position differs on the Inclusion cabinet compared to other NSSSA cabinets. The discussion of each position is as follows:

 

3-Tions: The role of the 3-tion is very important on IC, as there is a lot more detail on IC forms. There is a lot more to be entered into the database, as the forms will have a lot more things like food allergies, whether a delegate is prone to seizures, and other health concerns. If 3-tions have any questions, Abe is their best resource. As the committee currently has only two 3-tions, and since Angus lives in Antigonish (so he can’t access the mailbox) Ciara is currently looking for another 3-tion that lives in Metro. It was also discussed that since Angus won’t be doing a lot of the entering into the database, that he could potentially help the PR’s after forms have been released.

 

Skill Building Chair: On IC, the Skillbuilding Chair must take different disabilities into account when creating the skillbuilding manual. Meagan brought up one example: you wouldn’t do two truths and a lie as a Skillbuilding activity at IC, because that would be very confusing for an autistic delegate. Other factors to keep into account are whether an activity involves fine motor skills, or how easily adapted an activity can be. The SB chair should share activity ideas with the whole committee so we can make sure they are inclusive. The skillbuilding/DA retreat could also potentially have speakers from different disability organizations to help DA’s and skillbuilders  understand their needs.

 

Public Relations: The public relations for Inclusion should be looking for disability-specific pamphlets/other items for the delegate bags. The same goes for the opportunities fair: booths can include organizations like Autism Nova Scotia, the Halifax Nova Scotia Down Syndrome Society, Easter Seals, etc. PR’s should note that the delegate bags and opportunities fair can have the same organizations. PR’s can only start contacting businesses and organizations once we have a conference name.  

 

WENDYs: The main difference between IC Wendys and other Wendys is that at Inclusion, the Wendys should have one or two cheers that they focus on for the whole conference, rather than different ones every time. By focusing on only a few cheers, this gives everyone a chance to learn them, so they can feel included. These cheers should also be included in the delegate manual so they are easier to follow.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: Inclusion conference has usually used fuzzies as the main part of the welcoming activity, but the Welcoming Co-Chairs are encouraged to think of something that could be more accessible. It has always been a concern that some delegates might find tying the fuzzies to be difficult, so if the Welcloming Co-Chairs can come up with a welcoming activity that doesn’t use fine motor skills, that would be wonderful. Other than that, Inclusion conferences usually have other stuff going on during the welcoming activity, such as colouring, facepaint, or games. Meagan suggested that some activities could be held outside the MPR because the noise can be overwhelming for some delegates.

 

Secretary: Since IC only meets once a month, it is important that regrets send an update over email. Since it is the first meeting, updates were not required, but for subsequent meetings they will be very important. All members of the committee must read the minutes and reply with the codeword.

 

Communications: Promotion within the learning centers at schools in essential. We also put an emphasis on schools that have Best Buddies chapters, as buddies are able to attend the conference together. Committee members will be expected to help Jasmine with presentations at school, so we can present to as many schools as possible. Many hands make light work, so committee members should be prepared to do presentations at their own schools as well as others.

 

Head Mental Health First Aid: Anna has already started her mental health first aid it. Currently there are menstrual products, stress balls, coloring books, markers, colored pencils, fidget spinners, tums, bandaids, bubbles and a pinwheel. If anyone has any suggestions for things to add, let Anna know.

 

New Business:

 

Postitions that are still needed: Ciara is currently looking for another PR, a 3-tion who lives in the Metro region, a DA Chair, and a Head First Aid (she is likely going to talk to James Grant or Julia Lawrence about that.)

 

Partner communication: Partners should talk once a week about their position. This can either be in person, or over the phone. Consistent communication is key to the success of your position. If partners have any issues or disagreements, they should go to Ciara for advice. If both partners are unaware or confused about what they should be doing, they should ask Ciara ASAP. It is better to admit you’re confused early on than right before conference.

 

Promotion: Ciara plans on doing conference touring. Although we need to promote to potential DA’s and Skillbuilders, promotion should be focused on getting our delegate numbers up. This means promotion should be done primarily in learning centers and Best Buddies chapters. Promotion should also begin early so people have time to come up with the money to attend conference.

 

T-Shirt issue: T-shirts are very expensive, and with the attendance at IC usually being somewhat unpredictable, they often make us lose a significant amount of money. The committee is encouraged to think of alternatives to T-shirts. We could have some item that doesn’t have the conference name on it, just NSSSA Inclusion, that way if we had some left over, they could be used in subsequent years. Ideas proposed were patches and stickers.

 

Conference Name: Name needs to sound professional, so that it doesn’t hinder the PR’s ability to get donations. However, it should still sound fun/inspiring, and IC has a longstanding tradition of having names with acronyms. All committee members should think of a potential name to be brought up at the next meeting.

Adjournment: Alyssa motioned to adjourn the meeting at 11:03, Brianna seconded the motion.

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20180211

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20170211

 

Location: MSVU Rosaria Room 105

Time of Commencement: 9:17

Time of Adjournment: 10:50

Duration: 1 hour and 33 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Rachael Murphy, Bailey Lenihan, Matt Walsh, Taryn Hanrahan, Kailey Webber, Will Miller, Jill Ryan, Ciara Harris, Becca MacAulay

Present Non-Voting Members: Lorne Abramson

Regrets: Mary Stackaruk, Meagan Soley, Cath Densmore, Rhonda Gibson

No-Shows: Mackenzie Casey, Madison Saulnier, Emily Saulnier

 

Updates:

3-Tions: Mary and Rachael have set up a meeting with Abe next Sunday to go over the database, and any other rules that the 3-tions should know. Advisor forms must be signed by the principal, because the advisor is representing the school. Students must have their form signed by their advisor, but student forms don’t need to be signed by the principal. The school cheque must be made out to the NSSSA. (with all of the students’ money) There is a 2-person rule with cheques: the person who opens the envelope should be different from the person who deposits the cheque. The mailbox should be checked at least twice a week by the 3-tions so that they can deposit cheques as quickly as possible. Once one of the 3-tions has put someone’s info into the database, and one of the Co-Chairs can deposit the cheque and send the deposit slip to Eliza (treasurer).

Public Relations: Jill sent out a mass email, and has 6 confirmed Opportunities Fair booths. She also had 2 people say that they might be able to go to conference, so Jill will email them to follow up. She had two organizations decline due to scheduling issues. She should consider contacting Neptune Theatre as they gave us some quality merchandise for the delegate bags last year. She is also considering contacting the Therapeutic Paws of Canada to get therapy dogs for conference. Jill should contact Brigadoon as well, because they have a lot of good inclusive programs and camps. She will also follow up with Mullen, as Mullen had offered to cover the donations so that Jill could focus on the Opportunities Fair. We could use a punch-card or sticker system to make sure that all of the Opportunities Fair booths get visited. Abe  has also emailed a Theatre Group called Weird Beard, and the executive director replied. They are a black light theatre group, and could come in to do a presentation. Abe will send his contacts to Jill. They are from Sydney, so we don’t know yet if they could travel, but Jill should contact them to find out. Jill should also contact Renee Forrestall at Team Possibles.

WENDY’s: WENDY’s have made the talent show forms, and Becca has made a playlist.  Becca has started to find games for EPIC. They have 3 games for EPIC so far; Becca will share the Google Doc with the instructions to the co-chairs. Becca has tried her best to make the games inclusive, but we will go over them as a group as well to ensure that they can be easily modified. The WENDY’s are also looking for costumes at the moment. They should not be concerned with their 3 costumes always being coordinated, it would be hard to get 3 matching costumes. Their costumes can be eclectic. They are focused on trying to get some sparkly costumes.

Communications: Kailey has contacted some private schools (Bridgeway Academy and Churchill Academy) , and followed-up with all of the other public schools. She has sent out emails with a letter for parents, as well as registration info. She only has a few more Metro schools to follow up with. Kailey is also going to contact her School Reps for Metro as well as the Head School Reps for the other regions. She should contact Jeremy to get in touch with all of the Head School Reps. Kailey should send follow-up emails once there are 2 weeks left until forms are due. Forms are due March 9th. On February 13th, Kailey and Mary will be going to Millwood to do a presentation, and Ciara and Jill can do one at JL. Bailey can also go talk to the Best Buddies chapter at Lockview.

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The Welcoming Co-Chairs have received some yarn for fuzzying, and intend to have a group fuzzying session at the next meeting. Matt  has been working on the delegate manual, and will notify anyone who hasn’t sent in their write-up yet. The Welcoming Co-Chairs should have a list of 4-5  welcoming activities and a supply list for the next meeting. Some possibilities discussed were a photo booth, colouring pages, face paint, and big sheets of paper to draw on. They should enquire at Jack Astor’s or The Chronicle Herald to see if they would be willing to donate some of their paper. Matt has contacted the other regions to see if they have extra fuzzies, and most have not had any.

Skillbuilding Chair: Mackenzie has completed the Skillbuilding Manual and has forwarded it to Taryn, Emily, and Meagan so they can look over the games and explanations. She is in the process of creating an itinerary for the retreat, as well as looking for speakers and alumni who could attend the retreat.

Secretary: Ciara is in charge of creating a Facebook Event to get the word out about inclusion conference. For the spiritwear orders, the deadline to get money in will be by the next meeting. Once she receives the money from everyone, she can replace the order.   I can take cash, but e-transfers are preferrable. A receipt book will be needed if Ciara is taking cash. The deadline will be the next meeting (likely March 4th) Ciara will get the price from Steve this week. Ciara should ask Steve whether the number of sweaters we are purchasing can get us a better deal.

Co-Chairs: The Co-Chairs have discussed partially combining both medical first aid and mental health first aid, as many of our members who are certified in mental health first aid also have their regular first aid certification. There was supposed to be a parent meeting around Feb. 2nd, but it didn’t happen due to scheduling errors.

Head First Aid: Anna has an exam on the day of conference, so she cannot attend. Abe will give Taryn James Grant’s number, and Taryn will call him.

 

New Business: Everyone on IC should share the Facebook Event. “If you aren’t losing followers because of how much you’re promoting, you’re not promoting hard enough.” In future months, the number of meetings may increase as we get closer to the date of conference. Taryn will likely be doing some phone calls so that she can receive positional updates.

 

Adjournment: Jill motioned to adjourn at 10:50 and Matt seconded the motion.

 

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20180120

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20180120

Location: MSVU Rosaria Room 101

Time of Commencement: 9:07am

Time of Adjournment: 10:50am

Duration: 1 hour and 43 minutes

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Rachael Murphy, Emily Saulnier, Taryn Hanrahan, Kailey Webber, Cath Densmore, Will Miller, Jill Ryan, Ciara Harris

Present Non-Voting Members: Meagan Soley, Lorne Abramson

Regrets: Becca MacAulay, Matt Walsh, Mary Stackaruk

No-Shows: Bailey Lenihan, Mackenzie Casey, Madison Saulnier

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: All forms except skillbuilding forms are now up on the website. Skillbuilding forms were originally missing from the website, but they have been received from Rachael. They had preemptively posted the forms because they hadn’t realized that Mary wasn’t in charge of the skillbuilding forms, but now all forms are up. Although Taryn is currently in possession of the mailbox keys, keys need to go to the 3-tions for legal reasons. Although both 3-Tions live far away from the Almon Street mailbox, Emily has offered to drive Rachael to the mailbox once a week, and Mary can check when she is in Halifax for Metro RC meetings. Mailbox is open 24hrs. Any forms that don’t have money with them should be put aside, and the person who sent it should be called to enquire about the money. They can’t be registered without the payment. Cheques should be deposited as quickly as possible.

 

Public Relations: Mullen has emailed Jill and is helping with donations, as well as the PR job as a whole. Jill has decided to take over the opportunities fair, and Mullen will be doing the other donations. She has a database of people, and is recommended to do 2 phone calls a day. Ciara will also give her some contacts that were used last year. She should consider calling organizations such as The Club Inclusion and Team Possibles. It is her goal to call at least 10 people before February.

 

WENDY’s: Will and Cath have been discussing cheers, and Becca has sent their chosen cheers to Matt for the delegate manual. They are also looking at games and costumes, with sparkly costumes in particular. Any games that are chosen will be discussed and tried out to see if they are appropriately inclusive. Once they find games, the WENDY’s should email them to the Co-Chairs, who will check them over, then the committee will try them out at the next meeting. Talent show forms should be made and sent to Matt as well. These should be  completed by January 24th. WENDY’s should also edit Taryn’s Real NSSSA playlist from Spotify and add more fun songs to it, like Cotton Eyed Joe and the chicken dance. The WENDY’s should also think of a prize for EPIC. Ideas for prizes included Ring Pops.

 

Communications: Kailey has finished emailing all of the schools’ principals. Kailey is going to start calling schools during exam week. She has already heard back from a few schools, and Meagan offered to help with some of the schools that are out of our area.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The Welcoming Co-Chairs have been hard at work on the Delegate Manual. Anyone who has not sent a write-up and photo to Matt for the manual must do so ASAP. Reminder that the questions you may answer for the delegate manual are: How did you get involved with the NSSSA, what is your most memorable moment at NSSSA, and would you rather be able play every single instrument ever or speak every language known to mankind.

 

Secretary: It has been decided that the cabinet spiritwear will be royal blue quarter-zip hoodies. Ciara is creating a database with everyone’s sizes, which should be emailed her ASAP if you haven’t shared it with her already. Since there is no price listed on the website, Ciara will contact Steve to find out the price. Reminder that if you are unable to attend a meeting, you must contact both the Secretary and the Co-Chairs with a valid reason at least 24hrs before the meeting. If you are unable to attend, please make sure to email an update to Ciara so they can be included in the minutes.

 

Co-Chairs: Taryn and Emily have been discussing the upcoming Parents’ Nights to advertise Inclusion. However, their main focus had to be getting forms out this week. They are still trying to find a speaker; Brandon Boyd has expressed interest in performing at Inclusion. He could open up the talent show. It could also be a possibility for him to help MC. The Co-Chairs are also considering contacting Frankie MacDonald as a potential speaker.

 

Head First Aid: Anna has sent an email to James Grant, in the hopes to get him to come to conference as a First Aid. He did not respond to the first so she has sent a second one. She will let us know once she gets a response.

 

New Business: Inclusion Committee discussed potential T-Shirt colours. The favourite colours were Azalea (lavender) and Hot Pink. Committee members should bring in a sketch for a t-shirt design. The next meeting will be February 10th. It will be held in Rosaria Room 404, from 9am to 11am.

 

Adjournment: Jill motioned to adjourn at 10:50am and Ciara seconded the motion.

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20171217

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20171217

 

Location: MSVU Evaristus Hall Room 304

Time of Commencement: 10:17am

Time of Adjournment: 11:05am

Duration: 48 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Taryn Hanrahan, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Bailey Lenihan, Matt Walsh, Rachael Murphy, Mary Stackaruk

Regrets: Will Miller, Cath Densmore, Rhonda Gibson, Meagan Soley

No-Shows: Emily Saulnier, Mackenzie Casey, Madison Saulnier

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The advisor form has been checked over, and is correct, except that it should say that conference is  free, rather than $75. A mistake was found with the DA form, as the wording is directed toward the parents, and they would prefer it to be directed to the DA. They should correlate with the delegate forms, which are directed towards the delegates. The questions on the DA form should be looked over before they are released. Other than that, forms were complete, and will be checked over with Taryn before being sent to Dereck Thilbault. All forms should be in PDF format.

 

Public Relations: Jill has completed and/or edited the sponsor letter, corporate package and donation package, which are ready to be sent out. She has also completed a mass email template. She will go out and distribute donation letters, and begin contacting businesses for the Opportunities Fair and sponsorships this month. Becca has extra pens and pencils for the delegate bags from last year’s Metro conference. Jill has a list of 25-30 places she will contact to inquire about participation in the Opportunities Fair. Taryn and Ciara will help her with this as they were PR’s last year. PR’s are advised to have a phone script when contacting businesses, and to remember that December is the season of giving, so it is the best time to get donations.

 

WENDYs: The Wendys have been discussing cheers that they will focus on during conference. It is important to choose a few cheers to do repeatedly throughout conference so that it is easier for delegates to learn them. Wendys should send the cheers they choose to the Welcoming Co-Chairs so that they can be put into the delegate manual. A cheer they had been tentatively thinking about doing was Aunt Uma, as it is a very fun cheer. However, this cheer has many moving parts and may not be inclusive to all delegates, so the Wendys should think about ways they could adapt it. Wendys are advised to start to write a script for Epic, and get costumes to wear throughout costumes. They should also try to make a list of games and materials needed for each activity, so we can test them out at one of our next meetings.

 

 

Communications: Kailey has been mass emailing Nova Scotia’s schools about conference. Metro is complete, and CBV is also almost done. If she doesn’t hear from schools within a week, she will call them. Once forms are out, she will email the schools the forms. She only has 3 schools left for CBV, and then must email the rest of the regions. She doesn’t have long-distance calling, so she could consider using classroom phones at her school. She has created a database of all of the schools she has to contact so that she can check them off once they are completed. She is advised to utilize the blind carbon copy function to save time when emailing.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: Matt has been making as many fuzzies as he can. He has contacts Sou-West and has asked for the leftover fuzzies, as well as the Metro Co-Premiers. The Welcoming Co-Chairs have been working on the welcoming manual template, and they should think of questions to ask for the “Meet your Cabinet” portion of the delegate manual. Some examples of the type of question used in the past are “If you could have a superpower, what power would you have?” and “If you were a smell, what smell would you be?” The Welcoming Co-Chairs should also get all Cabinet members to send pictures of themselves for the manual. Taryn is in possession of the golf and the fishing activities from last year’s conference. The Welcoming Co-Chairs will make a supply list of any other things they need for the welcoming activity and games. Jill will forward them the presidential message that Zac wants in the manual.

 

Secretary: The cabinet had voted on quarter-zips for the cabinet’s spiritwear, however Ciara is unable to find them on the First Choice Sportswear website. Ciara will call Steve to see if they are available. A reminder that it is important that you send an email to Ciara, Taryn and Emily if you are going to be absent from a meeting. If you miss a meeting, you should send an update to Ciara so that it can be included in the minutes. It is also very important that all cabinet members reply to the minutes from each meeting with the codeword and any corrections they would like to make.

 

Co-Chairs: Since our last meeting, the keynote Emily and Taryn had contacted hasn’t replied. Amy Oickle has suggested a keynote that they can consider. DA/Skillbuilder Retreat has been booked for April 8th. All of cabinet is expected to be at the this retreat. Taryn has already been receiving emails from teachers with questions about conference. On the note of emails, if Taryn hasn’t responded to your email, send it again, and call her if it is something urgent. She will be doing a check-in sometime in January.

 

New Business: Cabinet is starting to think about a logo for conference. Potential logo ideas that were discussed were stars or diamonds. Cabinet members should all draw a logo idea and bring it in to the next meeting. All cabinet members who are currently enrolled in high school will be responsible for going and talking to their own learning center about conference. After talking to them, you should send Kailey a point of contact from your school’s learning center so that she can keep in touch with them. Kailey is advised to put her principal’s email into the facebook group, so each cabinet member has accurate, professional sounding information while talking to their school about IC. Cabinet members should also be promoting to their schools’ students’ council. Any cabinet members at schools with a Best Buddies chapter should be promoting to them as well. It has been noted that even if your school doesn’t have a Best Buddies chapter, delegates and DA’s should still have the option of choosing to attend conference as a pair.

 

Adjournment: Jill  motioned to adjourn at 11:05 and Mary seconded the motion.

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20171120

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20171120

 

Location: MSVU Rosaria Room 105

Time of Commencement: 10:46am

Time of Adjournment: 11:36am

Duration: 50 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Mary Stackaruk, Matt Walsh, Cath Densmore, Becca MacAulay, Emily Saulnier, Madison Saulnier, Kailey Webber, Ciara Harris, Taryn Hanrahan, Jill Ryan, Rachael Murphy, Rhonda Gibson

Present Non-Voting Members: Meagan Soley

Regrets: Will Miller

No-Shows: Bailey Lenihan, MacKenzie Casey

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-tions have nearly completed the skillbuilding forms; they are still in need of the finalized start and end times of the conference to put on the sheet. Meagan will contact Jill from MSVU to get the dates and times confirmed. Once these times have been finalized, they should send the form to Taryn and Emily to be checked over. Price of this year’s conference has been set at $75. The 3-tions have also completed the Delegate assistant forms and Advisor forms. Taryn is reminded to get the mailbox keys from Abe and bring them to the next meeting, so the 3-tions can have access to the mailbox. Taryn will also give them a due date and no refund date for the forms. The tentative due date on the forms is March 9th, as any later would make it incredibly hard for the 3-tions to complete the database.

 

DA Chair: Madison and Mackenzie have been in contact and are advised to begin planning the DA/Skillbuilder retreat. The retreat is scheduled to be on April 7th or 8th. Retreat will be slightly longer this year, as we want it to be more structured. This will ensure that the delegate assistants and skillbuilders feel completely prepared for conference. It is also advised that there be a speaker at retreat, similar to how Connor McKiggan spoke at last year’s retreat.

 

Public Relations: Jill has finalized a timeline for herself, outlining what she needs to complete and who she needs to contact before conference. For the Opportunities fair, she is encouraged to get in contact with the Bengal Lancers Inclusion program, as she is involved with them, as well as Neptune Theatre, who gave us generous donations last year. The PR’s are also advised to talk to Metro’s PR’s to obtain anything they have leftover from Breakthrough 2017. Rhonda and Jill should keep in contact so that they can contact as many businesses as possible, and should remember that December is the best month to get donations.

 

 

WENDY’s:  The WENDY’s have created the storyline behind this year’s Epic. The story is as follows: The Wendy’s have been collecting glitter (or “spirit”) from all over Nova Scotia. Cath has lost her sparkle (spirit) so each skillbuilding group has to try and get it back to her. They will collect gems from each Epic station, with each gem representing one of the different regions of the NSSSA. The WENDY’s are asked to decide on a few specific cheers to use consistently throughout conference, as having a specific set of cheers used will help the delegates to remember them. These cheers will be going into the delegate manual.

 

Communications: Kailey has made a provincial database containing all of the high schools in Nova Scotia and their principal’s email. She has also completed a draft of the email she will be sending to all of the schools; it just needs approval from the Co-Chairs. Kailey is also planning on promoting to schools with Best Buddies chapters in particular. She is the School Board’s rep for the HRM council meetings, and will ask the co-presidents of each school whether they have a Best Buddies program. She will also hand out forms at the next HRM Council meeting.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The Welcoming Co-Chairs are planning on having a similar welcoming activity to last year’s conference, including things like a photo booth, face paint, and minigames like bowling. They also intend to get bubbles and therapy dogs for the welcoming activity. They are advised to book the therapy dogs well in advance, as they are often in high demand. It is also recommended that they ask for any leftover fuzzies or donations from Metro.

 

Secretary: Ciara created a Facebook poll on the Inclusion Facebook page to determine what the committee wanted for their spiritwear. Quarter-Zip sweaters won the vote, and there will be another poll to determine colour. Ciara will get in contact with Steve to order the sweaters when ready.

 

Co-Chairs: Taryn and Emily have decided that forms will be released on December 1st. Cleve the Therapy Clown from the IWK is unable to speak at conference. Terry Angus, a puppeteer,  has been called and emailed, and Taryn is waiting on a reply from him. Taryn also promoted the Inclusion conference at Metro’s regional conference, Breakthrough 2017.

 

Head First Aid: Anna is looking for possible candidates for her first aid team. She has been in contact with a few friends, and requires contact information for James Grant, the paramedic who usually attends conference as a first aid.

 

Regional Advisor: Meagan has been keeping the Co-Chairs on track, and keeping in contact with the Mount. If anyone needs any help with their position at any point, they can email Meagan; she is more than willing to help.

 

New Business: The Mount has been booked for conference; the Co-Chairs met with Jill from the Mount, and decided that the conference would be on April 14th. It has also been decided that the conference will be held entirely in Rosaria, as having the conference in one building makes it easier to navigate and more accessible. Dereck Thibault, our webmaster, has a contact at a company called AMI.ca. They are a company dedicated to making media accessible, and could be interesting to have at conference. The Co-Chairs should get a contact from Dereck to see if they are interesting in participating in our conference. We are also looking for more people available to act as a First Aid at conference; James Grant has been a first aid in the past, and Meagan could double as a first aid if needed. The next meeting will be sometime before December 17th, and the Co-Chairs will be doing check-ins before the meeting. It is really important that all committee members are working hard in December, as forms are coming out and conference is drawing nearer.

 

Adjournment: Jill motioned to adjourn at 11:36 and Becca seconded the motion.

 

 

 

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20171120

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20171120

 

Location: MSVU Rosaria Room 105

Time of Commencement: 10:46am

Time of Adjournment: 11:36am

Duration: 50 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Mary Stackaruk, Matt Walsh, Cath Densmore, Becca MacAulay, Emily Saulnier, Madison Saulnier, Kailey Webber, Ciara Harris, Taryn Hanrahan, Jill Ryan, Rachael Murphy, Rhonda Gibson

Present Non-Voting Members: Meagan Soley

Regrets: Will Miller

No-Shows: Bailey Lenihan, MacKenzie Casey

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-tions have nearly completed the skillbuilding forms; they are still in need of the finalized start and end times of the conference to put on the sheet. Meagan will contact Jill from MSVU to get the dates and times confirmed. Once these times have been finalized, they should send the form to Taryn and Emily to be checked over. Price of this year’s conference has been set at $75. The 3-tions have also completed the Delegate assistant forms and Advisor forms. Taryn is reminded to get the mailbox keys from Abe and bring them to the next meeting, so the 3-tions can have access to the mailbox. Taryn will also give them a due date and no refund date for the forms. The tentative due date on the forms is March 9th, as any later would make it incredibly hard for the 3-tions to complete the database.

 

DA Chair: Madison and Mackenzie have been in contact and are advised to begin planning the DA/Skillbuilder retreat. The retreat is scheduled to be on April 7th or 8th. Retreat will be slightly longer this year, as we want it to be more structured. This will ensure that the delegate assistants and skillbuilders feel completely prepared for conference. It is also advised that there be a speaker at retreat, similar to how Connor McKiggan spoke at last year’s retreat.

 

Public Relations: Jill has finalized a timeline for herself, outlining what she needs to complete and who she needs to contact before conference. For the Opportunities fair, she is encouraged to get in contact with the Bengal Lancers Inclusion program, as she is involved with them, as well as Neptune Theatre, who gave us generous donations last year. The PR’s are also advised to talk to Metro’s PR’s to obtain anything they have leftover from Breakthrough 2017. Rhonda and Jill should keep in contact so that they can contact as many businesses as possible, and should remember that December is the best month to get donations.

 

 

WENDY’s:  The WENDY’s have created the storyline behind this year’s Epic. The story is as follows: The Wendy’s have been collecting glitter (or “spirit”) from all over Nova Scotia. Cath has lost her sparkle (spirit) so each skillbuilding group has to try and get it back to her. They will collect gems from each Epic station, with each gem representing one of the different regions of the NSSSA. The WENDY’s are asked to decide on a few specific cheers to use consistently throughout conference, as having a specific set of cheers used will help the delegates to remember them. These cheers will be going into the delegate manual.

 

Communications: Kailey has made a provincial database containing all of the high schools in Nova Scotia and their principal’s email. She has also completed a draft of the email she will be sending to all of the schools; it just needs approval from the Co-Chairs. Kailey is also planning on promoting to schools with Best Buddies chapters in particular. She is the School Board’s rep for the HRM council meetings, and will ask the co-presidents of each school whether they have a Best Buddies program. She will also hand out forms at the next HRM Council meeting.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The Welcoming Co-Chairs are planning on having a similar welcoming activity to last year’s conference, including things like a photo booth, face paint, and minigames like bowling. They also intend to get bubbles and therapy dogs for the welcoming activity. They are advised to book the therapy dogs well in advance, as they are often in high demand. It is also recommended that they ask for any leftover fuzzies or donations from Metro.

 

Secretary: Ciara created a Facebook poll on the Inclusion Facebook page to determine what the committee wanted for their spiritwear. Quarter-Zip sweaters won the vote, and there will be another poll to determine colour. Ciara will get in contact with Steve to order the sweaters when ready.

 

Co-Chairs: Taryn and Emily have decided that forms will be released on December 1st. Cleve the Therapy Clown from the IWK is unable to speak at conference. Terry Angus, a puppeteer,  has been called and emailed, and Taryn is waiting on a reply from him. Taryn also promoted the Inclusion conference at Metro’s regional conference, Breakthrough 2017.

 

Head First Aid: Anna is looking for possible candidates for her first aid team. She has been in contact with a few friends, and requires contact information for James Grant, the paramedic who usually attends conference as a first aid.

 

Regional Advisor: Meagan has been keeping the Co-Chairs on track, and keeping in contact with the Mount. If anyone needs any help with their position at any point, they can email Meagan; she is more than willing to help.

 

New Business: The Mount has been booked for conference; the Co-Chairs met with Jill from the Mount, and decided that the conference would be on April 14th. It has also been decided that the conference will be held entirely in Rosaria, as having the conference in one building makes it easier to navigate and more accessible. Dereck Thibault, our webmaster, has a contact at a company called AMI.ca. They are a company dedicated to making media accessible, and could be interesting to have at conference. The Co-Chairs should get a contact from Dereck to see if they are interesting in participating in our conference. We are also looking for more people available to act as a First Aid at conference; James Grant has been a first aid in the past, and Meagan could double as a first aid if needed. The next meeting will be sometime before December 17th, and the Co-Chairs will be doing check-ins before the meeting. It is really important that all committee members are working hard in December, as forms are coming out and conference is drawing nearer.

 

Adjournment: Jill motioned to adjourn at 11:36 and Becca seconded the motion.

 

 

 

Inclusion Meeting Minutes from 20170923

NSSSA Minutes From:

Inclusion Committee Meeting

20170923

 

Location: MSVU Rosaria room 404

Time of Commencement: 10:26

Time of Adjournment: 11:15

Duration: 49 minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Taryn Hanrahan, Matt Walsh, Rachael Murphy, Ciara Harris, Will Miller

 

Present Non-Voting Members: Meagan Soley

 

Regrets: Jillian Ryan, Mackenzie Casey, Mary Stackaruck, Kailey Webber, Emily Saulnier

 

No-Shows: Becca MacAulay, Cath Densmore, Maddie Tennant, Madison Saulnier, Bailey Lenihan

 

Updates:

 

Co-Chairs: Dalhousie has offered to hold the conference, although we have our contract with MSVU. Taryn attended a meeting at Dalhousie to see if holding our conference at Dalhousie would be a better option. The space that was available at Dalhousie was not accessible, as the flooring was sloped and there were no wheelchair ramps. Dalhousie was willing to discuss compromises, however MSVU is looking like the better option to hold Inclusion because they are more accessible. Possible dates for conference if it were held at MSVU include the 14th of April, with the skillbuilding retreat on the 7th of April, or conference on the 7th of April, with the skillbuilding retreat on March 24th.

 

New Business:

 

Emily and Taryn have been discussing with two potential speakers. They have been talking with Cleve Sawyer, the therapy clown from the IWK. He is hoping to get time off from the IWK to work with us, so he has not been confirmed yet. At Abe’s suggestion, Taryn and Emily are going to contact Terry, a man who works with puppets, who has cerebral palsy. His presentation is about how his puppets help with his disability, and he would be a more interactive speaker.

 

Potential conference names were discussed. Ideas included G.L.I.T.T.E.R. (Gaining Leadership, Initiative, and Teambuilding Through Engaging Relationships) and S.H.I.N.E. (Students Having Inclusive New Experiences). The vote was unanimous for SHINE. Ideas for logos include a star with the conference name and a diamond with the conference name.

 

The idea was mentioned to have a parents’ night to inform parents about Inclusion Conference. In past years, parents have only received information from the forms or internet; it is hoped that implementing these parent nights would make parents feel more secure in sending their children to Inclusion. Since forms will be coming in in February, these parents’ nights could be done in January.

 

Reminder that if you are to miss a meeting, you must let Ciara, Taryn, and Emily know at least 24 hours in advance via email with a good reason. Attendance issues will be dealt with by the co-chairs.

 

Taryn had suggested that we heavily advertise to schools with Best Buddies chapters. It could be promoted that delegates could have the choice to attend conference with their buddy as their delegate assistant. It is hoped that this would draw more people to attend conference, as those delegates would be guaranteed to be paired up with someone they know and are comfortable with.

 

All partners are advised to meet before next meeting, in person if possible, to get acquainted and start working. It is important that each committee member goes over their turnover package, and follows the timeline provided. This ensures that we can keep on track.

 

Timelines: For the remainder of the meeting, Taryn gave present committee members timelines of what they should be doing from now until the next meeting.

 

Secretary: The secretary is in charge of the minutes and committee wear. Taryn is to send the database of emails to Ciara so that she can send the minutes to each committee member. It was also suggested that she put a poll on the Inclusion Committee Facebook group to determine colours for spirit wear, and what type of spirit wear we want. Determining this through Facebook will save time at future meetings.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: They should start collecting yarn as soon as possible. They are advised to put posters up around community centers and churches, and posting on buy and sell groups in search of yarn. They should also think about what other things could be at the welcoming activity, such therapy dogs, a photo booth, carnival games, face painting, or a colouring table.

 

3-tions: Rachael should get in contact with Mary to start setting up a database, and making the forms. Once dates are confirmed it is important that forms are made quickly. They are reminded that you don’t put someone into the registration database unless their form came with money.

 

Wendys: They have been discussing cheers and are advised to look at the talent show forms. They should begin to plan EPIC. A proposed theme for EPIC was a diamond heist, to go along with the name of the conference.

 

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs: Mackenzie and Madison are advised to look at past years manuals and start prepping the 2018 skillbuilding manual. Games and activities should be easily modified and inclusive. No activities should involve fine motor skills, and none should be overly difficult. They should talk to other people to get input from multiple sources, so they can figure out whether things will be inclusive for all delegates. There is the possibility of running the activities at a future meeting in order to have all of the committee’s opinion on whether or not the activity is inclusive.

 

Adjournment: Will motioned to adjourn at 11:15 and Matt seconded the motion.

 

Inclusion Committee Minutes – June 06 2017

NSSSA Minutes from:

Provincial Inclusion Committee Meeting

20170606

Location of Meeting: StFX University, Rosaria Building, Room 404.

Time of Commencement: 18:15
Time of Adjournment: 20:07
Duration: One hour and fifty two minutes.

Attendance:

Present voting members: Micci Davy, Christina Nickerson, Courtney Barkhouse, Joy Hannam, Colbee Porter, Adrienne Munroe, Ciara Harris, Taryn Hanrahan.

Present Non-voting members: Megan Soley, Molly Anderson, Robyn Metcalfe, Cath Densmore.

Regrets: Abbie Cull, Bronwyn Heighton, Matt Walsh, Maddie Tennant, Emily Saulnier, Alexandra Hannam, James Grant, Ellen Legge, Connor Mckiggin, Maggie Macneil, Meagan Kettley, Jillian Ryan, Emma Miller

Updates:

Molly Anderson: This is a debrief of the conference, of the year, and the committee. Since this is a debrief of conference a reminder of the 8 key concepts as well. This provides insight and advice for future years, with constructive feedback.

Apples and Onions:

Christina; Apple: Getting ready for conference and bonding as a committee. Onion: Circumstances of work to rule.

Micci; Apple: No major issues at conference, it was well prepared.
Onion: Wished the plan for promo was a bit stronger and with a bigger push given more time.

Adrienne; Apple: Working with her partner and the committee. Onion: More stuff and info in the delegate manual found sooner.

Courtney; Apple: Seeing all the delegates coming in and the conference coming together. Onion: Not starting soon enough in promo.

Robyn; Apple: Being on time, and working hard together as a committee despite work to rule. Onion: No onion, all apples.

Megan Soley; Apple: Kept alumni positions like the ones held by Matt and Cath.
Onion: Did not get to do advisor things with the advisors, no like mini- info sessions etc due to the circumstances.

Ciara; Apple: Everyone was engaged and involved.
Onion: When some of the engagement sessions had a mix up in calls .

Cath; Apple: Loving her partners and how good they were to work with . Onion: None.

Colbee; Apple: Seeing the welcoming activity play out, and become real seeing smiles . Onion: Getting yarn for fuzzies.

Joy; Apple: Seeing how everyone worked cohesively in terms of the conference, delegates, committee and more.
Onion: No onion.

Maddie; Apple: Seeing all the excited delegates. Onion: The closing ceremonies.

Bronwyn; Apple: Talent show .
Onion: All the extra time, awkward dancing moments at the last minute.

Matt: Providing insight in terms of the disability community Onion: Onions have layers, like ogres do.

Conference things that what went well

Christina: Putting the opportunities fair first and enabling for the opportunity for people to explore booths during the welcoming activity.

Courtney: Colouring pages

Micci: Conference was laid back and no one was really stressed out, wasn’t a stressed go, go, go environment.

Megan: Happy that is happened.

Christina: Good and motivated committee members despite circumstances and well developed skill building groups in terms of numbers.

Ciara: Started really early on the work for the position of public relations

Matt: Everything thing went well as a WENDY.

Christina and Micci: Adding the DA option for the other forms on the different conference and regions, got a congratulatory message from a principal. Having a DA option made the opportunity to go to regional conference more known and enabled delegates who wanted assistance a way thrive in an environment with students from their school.

Ellen: Registering people in the morning went well for the 3-tions
.
Megan: Multiple speakers kept people engaged, and the speakers all had something different and meaningful to say.

Taryn: Music after the speakers like the chicken dance, etc, went well for improvising things unexpectedly.

Megan: Incorporate more alumni in various roles in the conference though things like being a logistics member.

Christina: Epic went well also.

Suggestion: Provide back-pocket activities.

Conference things that did not go as well

Courtney: Did not have the Lockview Advisor for the conference, scrambled to find one, one way to solve this was to have a back-up advisor until one from the school came.

Ciara: Scheduling with the head set as there was an overlap with skill building chair using it, solved by creating new signs and communication quest with other PR.

Megan: Atmosphere as observed groups of people, from same school, or cabinet/committee, and when doing like a signature dance the delegates could’t follow as it was not taught to them, was unintentionally less inclusive. People clumped together more than just getting the Delegates to interact with each other. Would of been good to bring in speakers etc, at the SB retreat, to have people come in with like “whats it like to live with ______ disability”.

Micci: Mandatory to have Provincial cabinet members required to go the IC conference as Inclusion Conference ideally should not be a forced/reluctant thing.

Ellen: Payment for IC conference like missing cheques / missing forms, and payment handed in late, something to work on for next year to have a proper cutoff date.

Megan/Micci: Want people to have the opportunity to give everyone the chance to go. Taryn: Wished to have more people at the conference ROOTS, 2017.

Christina: Location of the conference was not the original vision but worked out in the end, the location was mainly dependant on the situation with the work to rule.

Micci: Opportunities fair and people not knowing what it was initially, would of been good at the retreat for people to be briefed on what was available during the welcoming activities, like the photo booth etc.

Taryn: Solution to that could be to have a stamp/sticker that could work like a post card/map idea, maybe could work for inclusion, have like prompt questionnaire, bingo etc.

Megan: Games in the EPIC were with a lot of of fine motor skills, but some may of struggled with it so having more adaptations available.

Adrianne: How click-y it can get at the conference, recommendation for next year to make things less click-y is to incorporate it with the skill builders in the retreat, and how the conference is about the delegates and creating bonds with them and each other.

Improvements:Encourage group socialization etc, so that delegates may not feel no so left out, and do things like actively showing the moves to dances that other groups made up. Encourage the delegate assistants and delegates to be part of the talent show together. Hand pick the logistics and incorporate the alumni to be part of the conference, instead of say having first time Inclusion conference members. Past delegates to show/tell of what they wanted to see in a delegate assistant partner at like a skill building retreat.

Micci and Christina: Conference specific things like not knowing that that how to’s session were not going to happen. In contrast liked how the engagement session was engaging, like the one on

MHFA at the retreat and helps how to show that if one listens and hears what people are saying and what they mean they are engaging rather than say underestimating one’s ability.

Taryn: Chicken dance was inclusive, and music is good for everyone. Playlist of music for next conference.

Suggestion: Redefine the skill building retreat, to fine tune so that the SB and DA’s know what to do and important info to pass on. DA and SB have more experience and knowledge about the inclusion conference so that they can seriously teach/ be taught skills that they can use at the conference.

Interactive experience and options like therapeutic dogs available to Delegates, or even the therapeutic clown, “Cleve” who works in at the IWK and creates a interactive, positive, and engaging atmosphere.

Committee specific things that could be improved

Taryn: PR’s got delegate bags, etc and difficult find things to put in the bags, upon reflection maybe not assume as much

Christina: Couple few months where all the committee was silent with the work to rule, hard to keep everyone ready and set to go, but this was due tot the uncertainly which contributed to the unconnected feeling.

Micci: Meetings and having the majority of members be able to go to the meetings, and lost of communications in that regard to not seeing some of the members.

Suggestion by Megan: Committees could have a committee retreat/committee bonding experience to bring them together, in the January months. Things like the retreat in August with other people on the regional cabinet had to be split up.

Communication (Courtney): Struggling of when to have things sent out and have more a definitive outline for things to do in advance.

Conference touring: May suggest to have people go like the co-chairs to represent the conference more, apply that same idea to learning centres because phone calls and email can get lost in translation. This allows for parents to gain info and if they are unsure of the organization it enables people to know more and put names to faces. Although since work to rule people were more hesitant in being a part of extra-circulars.

Ciara: Could have had a couple more meetings. Taryn: More one on one time with the delegates

Megan in regards to the retreat: Put people in a mind set of games and actives available at the Inclusion conference and ways to modifying etc and being in a more inclusive mindset.

Improvement: Getting turnover packages for the new committee, to allow new members to learn and grow. Have more position based on calls, and a check up on the individuals

Date for Turnover Package:

Time lines, communication within schools and committee, and keeping people in the Inclusion mindset.

Things went well on the committee:

PR: Split the work load, equal out for the partner work, each have a specific roles

Courtney :Questions were answered right away, in regards to combinations and the things were done in December

First aid: Was done well, last year the first aid was unsuccessful and had a little hiccup, James Grant came through, and in the past years the team was not as experienced and were people who had basic first aid. To improve: should have someone in specialized training of two genders for more personal things and finding a diverse team, medical jobs, paramedic, nurse, CCA, etc.

In general: Criminal records check, and having people of the age to get checks for the comfort of the parent and of the overall experience. Have more of the alumni in inclusion specific positions like logistics. Continue to expand the inclusion mindset, and revamp the first aid kit with wipes.

Delegate Assistants: Delegate assistant requirement on the regional forms worked well, but finding DA’s was a little bit of a challenge. Prior to conference, there could be a DA universal manual that is good for the people to use for regional co-premiers there could be a list of organizations like best buddies, Special Olympics that can help with that and become DA’s. Ie liaison with the DA chair that can coordinate with each region, and pair with people who need a DA.

PC mandatory: Provincial Cabinet to attend the inclusion conference, it become a matter of payment and loss of profit. Since PC members are not paying to go to the conference, and there could be people who feel uncomfortable, and could be feeling forced to come and in previous years people had to be turned away that were not on PC even though some PC members didn’t want/need to be there.

Retreat and conference: The CC-co-chairs at the inclusion conference were there but were meeting about the conference committee things rather than being fully immersed in the inclusion conference experience.

PROMO: Have more face to face contact, have people go to best buddies activities and be part of the high school and advertise to ‘you and your buddy can come to conference’ type deal. Talk to learning centre and Best Buddies, and explain the role in leadership and inclusion, provide comfort to the delegates and to hesitant parents. Be more aggressive with the IC Promo.

Reflection: Advice to give to next person in holding you positions, personal skill gained

from your positions

Taryn: PR
Advice: Try face to face contact, and responding will become more likely. Skill: Phoning people.
Ciara: PR

Advice: Learn how to be persistent Skill: Learned how to problem solve fast

Courtney: Communications
Advice: Get all the emails done early, have all info written out do it can be sent right away with out question, learn how to handle when someone says no
Skill: Speaking on the phone and building tolerance etc.

Colbee: Welcoming Co-chair
Advice: Have back up plans and time goes by quick
Skill: Learned how to be more assertive in everyday life
Adrienne: Welcoming Co-chair
Advice: Start early, and be proactive
Skill: Learned time management and how to balance different commitments

Joy: Secretary
Advice: Learn how to annotate Skill: Became a fast typer

Micci:IC Co-Chair
Advice: Create a timeline of things like venue, food etc, and what else needs to be done.
Skill: Developed total inclusivity, and how thing cans be accessible for more opportunities on cabinets and other conferences
Christina: IC Co-Chair
Advice: Not just ‘you’ anymore, like positional based, but also helping everyone out and being able to oversee how things will happen. Do things as soon as one can, and communicate and keep contact with other co-chair. Also learned about the money. Fun and worth it in the end. Skill: Gained time management, and getting things done when they needed to be done and having a back up plan, and ‘working with your situation and making the best out of what you are given.’

Robyn: Chaps:
Advice: Start early, and enable alumni to volunteer for various positions.

Cath: Had fun

Maddie: PR Promo
Skill: Learned how to have a professional phone conversation

Ciara motioned to adjourn the meeting 20:07 Taryn Hanrahan seconded said motion

Inclusion Committee Minutes – April 09 2017

NSSSA Minutes from:

Provincial Inclusion Committee Meeting

20170409

Location of Meeting: Mount Saint Vincent University, Evaristus, Room 102

Time of Commencement: 1600
Time of Adjournment: 16:23
Duration: 23 minutes

Attendance:

Present voting members: Joy Hannam, Alexandra Hannam, Ciara Harris, Courtney Barkhouse, Christina Nickerson, Matt Walsh, Micci Davy, Maddie Tennant, Taryn Hanrahan.

Present non-voting members: Meagan Soley.

Regrets: Emma Miller, James Grant, Robyn Metcalfe, Ellen Legge, Jillian Ryan, Bronwyn Heighton, Connor Mckiggin, Maggie Macneil, Abbie Cull, Meagan Kettley, Adrienne Munroe, Colbee Porter, Emily Saulnier, Cath Densmore.

Updates:
Communications: Sent out emails about the conference and what to expect with the upcoming conference.

WENDYS: EPIC is all done it is a Canadian Safari, with animals in cages (committee members) and there will be a code to solve unlock the animals that the group will need to work together to find. There will be list of supplies made, and there will be various activities such as charades, stack the cups, and more.

PR: Called places for donations, and then sent out email, got Neptune and Superstore as a definite yes. CBC potentially, will walk in to businesses to get supplies, pens etc for PR bags. Sent confirmation email of the Society of Deaf and Hard of Hearing. For opportunities fair emailed Halifax Dance, and Halifax NS Down Syndrome Society to come in and be guests for that they are a tentative yes. Emailed jack.org, from MSVU, and Best Buddies MSVU to come in potentially as well, emailed the therapy dog people from Halifax Therapeutic Paws. Special Olympics, Autism Nova Scotia and Eastern Seals is a go. Jack.org at Sir John A may be willing to come in to do a session/opportunity.

Secretary: Ordered the the conference T- Shirts, 145 in the colour forest green, will have extra so can be given out at opportunities fair to everyone who helps out, keynotes and more.

PR of Promotions: Whole databases done for the PR, RBC has offered to give supplies for the conference. Talked with CBC and called to make connection for the upcoming conference.

SB Chair: SB retreat has happened on April 9 2017, and edited the manual to have slight fixes.

Advisor: Not a lot of advisors that are coming, most who are, are teachers and parents and may not have all the resources that they could feel they could take away from the experience. Advisors from other groups can get their advisor from different school to share with other schools who are having trouble finding an advisor.

Co chairs: Itinerary is made and will be sent out, spoke to Connor to be a keynote speaker for the conference. Maybe get a couple more speakers as well. Asked of the committee to go get more delegate numbers, and to talk in person and get more people to come to the conference, the deadline is extended to compensate for this. Rosaria is being used as the main building for the activities. Thus far there is 4 groups with two skill builders each being used.

Not sure if the committee will have access the night before conference, will see about getting a place prior to conference, if there is no access until the morning of conference. Time to be there on conference day will be an hour before the skill builders and delegate assistants arrive.

Retreat went really well, missing a lot of delegate assistants. Overall everything went well, need to figure out who are missing and match the delegate and delegate assistants that are not yet paired. Will make a positional itinerary for the group, and some members maybe delegate assistant so skill builders. In total there is 70 people who are in the database thus far.

Joy Hannam motioned to adjourn the meeting at 16:23 and Alexandra Hannam seconded said motion.

Next meeting: Date for next meeting remains undecided, but will be at Mount Saint Vincent.

Inclusion Committee Meeting Minutes – February 19 2017

NSSSA Minutes from:

Provincial Inclusion Committee Meeting

20170219

Location of Meeting: Mount Saint Vincent University, Rosaria, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 11:02
Time of Adjournment: 12:14
Duration: One hour and 12 minutes.

Attendance

Present voting members: Joy Hannam, Jillian Ryan, Ellen Legge, Alexandra Hannam, Ciara Harris, Bronwyn Heighton, Emily Saulnier, Christina Nickerson, Micci Davy, Maddie Tennant, Taryn Hanrahan.

Present non-voting members: Meagan Soley, Maggie Macneil, Cath Densmore.

Regrets: Emma Miller, James Grant, Connor Mckiggin, Robyn Metcalfe, Meagan Kettley, Matt Walsh, Adrienne Munroe.

No shows: Courtney Barkhouse, Abbie Cull, Colbee Porter.

Updates:

WENDYs: Started plan for the games to do in the EPIC activity. Their ideas for epic include having each committee member as a different Canadian animal, and locked in a cage, and the skill builders and their groups will complete tasks to get numbers and those numbers will be the combination to unlock the animals (committee members).

3-tions: Forms are finished except for location, database ready and set up.

Secretary: Continuing to write minutes.

Public Relations: Called numerous people and superstores, Neptune can provide things for the delegate bags, etc. Contact non-for-profit for stress balls etc. Contacted Dalhousie, Saint Mary’s for thing that they could do, contribute to conference. The opportunities fair, Special Olympics, Autism Nova Scotia, Best Buddies, Eastern seals is all a yes, Brigidoon village gave their name, Deaf and Hard of hearing as well. In the future will ask and involve the chapters from jack.org, best buddies, at the university that the conference will be held at.

Public Relations of Promotions: Contacted a lot of places, waiting for interview dates, no appointments made yet, awaiting time, venues, and cost to be finalized. Metro News could come to the conference and interview participants, correct procedures will be taken for that, radio stations have also been contacted. Businesses would like a poster, this will be made and sent off to the businesses.

Welcoming Co-Chairs: Have the manual finished and good to print off, and welcoming activities list has been made.

Communications: No update.
Skill building Chair: Did the manual, need to finish the last session.

Delegate Assistant Chair: Manual is done and ready to be sent.

Alumni: Finalizing things like the logistics and chaperones.

Co-Chairs: The conference location of Auburn Drive High School has been changed as there was not a lot of communication due to work to rule, and correspondence with principal, also having a different venue may provide a more safer and accessible place for participation. Potentially the Mount which will include a first aid room, committee room, and two session rooms are available for this time.

New Business:

Date of conference: The date for conference is April 23rd on a Sunday, which is a plausible for future course of action.

Work to rule: See if Tuesday if teachers will be legislated back to work, will allow to have advisors be community members, and principals will be able to sign off to allow students to attend. Plan to send emails to the teachers and EPAs, and parents to see who would be able to be advisors for the conference. It will be tight in the sense that parents, and head school reps, etc will spread the message out. It will be a smaller conference, and may have an NSSSA alumni as a keynote speaker. Cannot do finalization, and conference dates until the confirmed situation is over. Worst comes to worst small fundraising and small things can be done in replace of conference.

Taryn Hanrahan motioned to adjourn the meeting at 12:14 and Jillian Ryan seconded said motion.

Next meeting: Date for next meeting remains undecided, but will be at Mount Saint Vincent.