Metro Meeting Minutes – January 14, 2018

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20180114

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 104

Time of Commencement: 19:00

Time of Adjournment: 20:36

Duration: One hour and thirty-six minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Annabelle Linders, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Kat Pindera

Present Non-Voting Members: Qendresa Sahiti, Christina Torrealba

Regrets: Claire Kleinknecht, Ciara Harris, Anna Gaudet

No-Shows: N/A

 

New Event:

 

Logistics: The logistics of the event will be a one-day-long event with challenges between teams of delegates lead by skill builders. An idea was to have small challenges or games within each group in the morning or for the first part of the day with challenges between each team in the later part of the day. Each challenge or group of challenges will be followed by a debrief session within each skill building group in order to get the educational/leadership aspect involved. Teams will be randomized. On the registration forms, there will be a small description of the day as to differentiate the event from a typical conference. Annabelle had an idea that every group member would get a clue or piece of a puzzle at the beginning of the event and during a game they would have to put them all together to be able to complete the challenge but not be told that they had to put them together, just figure it out on their own, as a form of teamwork.

 

Central Theme and Name: The name of the event will be “Connect 2018” with central themes being connecting through diversity, teamwork, communication, and unity.

 

Venue: This event will be ideally held at a high school to keep costs low. The primary school to be looked at is Citadel High as it has a large cafeteria to work with and is central to where most delegates would be located. Secondary schools to be looked at are Cole Harbour High, Auburn, and Lockview. Janitorial costs for a day are approximately $250 in the HRM.

 

Food: The event will be held in such a way that delegates can eat breakfast before they arrive, pack their own lunch, and leave before dinner to cut down costs. Snacks are to be available at some point during the day and Public Relations are tasked with acquiring food donations for snacks.

 

Dates/Times: This event is to be held on March 3, with forms going out next week. Students will hand in forms by February 7, all forms are to be mailed in by February 11, and the database should be completed by February 25. On March 3, cabinet members are to arrive at the venue at 7:00am, skill builders at 8:30am, delegates at 9:00am, and the event should begin at 9:30am and finish at 5:30pm.

 

Advisors and Skill Builders: Teacher advisors are to attend as of right now, however with the 1:12 ratio, and this being a smaller event, not as many would be required to attend as there were at the regional conference. Cody and Hannah will ask other regions how they handle teacher advisors at their one-day junior conferences. Skill builders will be chosen from the skill builders who attended the regional conference Breakthrough 2017.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Annabelle motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:36, and Kat seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, January 21, 2018. Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 104.

Metro Meeting Minutes – December 10, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171210

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 104

Time of Commencement: 19:04

Time of Adjournment: 19:52

Duration: Forty-eight minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac,

Regrets: Mary Stackaruk, Hannah Johnson

No-Shows: N/A

 

New Business:

 

Cabinet Bonding: On December 17, 2017, cabinet members will be having a movie night at Hannah H’s house at 6:00pm. There will also be a dessert potluck, with all cabinet members bringing desserts of their choice, as well as the recipe for their dessert. There will be a Secret Santa between cabinet, except the gifts being wholesome letters between members. Another suggestion for a cabinet outing was a skate at the Oval.

 

Prep Rally: It was decided that there will be a Prep Rally before Provincial Conference in order to practice the Metro Region dance performed at the talent show and to prep for Provincial Conference.

 

Day Long Conference: A suggestion put forward was to host a day-long conference in the Spring; potentially from 9:00am – 9:00pm or 12:00pm – 5:00pm or 9:00pm. An idea was to have each skill building group be competing against each other through different challenges relating to the sessions throughout the day and have a formal dinner at the end of the conference day to recognize the winning team (in a similar fashion as Gala at the end of the year). If there were to be a formal dinner at the end, there would likely be limited spots available (around 100 open spots). Claire put forward the idea that members of the winning team could receive a discount on one NSSSA spirit wear item at Provincial Conference. Registration could potentially be online. Hannah H and Cody will speak to the Trio about these ideas.

 

Miscellaneous: Everyone did the Inclusion Education Survey online.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Claire motioned to adjourn the meeting at 19:52 and Alex seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting date and time is to be determined.

Metro Meeting Minutes – November 19, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171119

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:07

Time of Adjournment: 22:05

Duration: Two hours and fifty-eight minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Julia Lawrence, Tammy Selman, Taline Selman, Qendresa Sahiti, Christina Torrealba, Kassandra Kelbratowski

Regrets: Claire Kleinknecht

No-Shows: N/A

 

Conference Debrief:

 

Eight Key Concepts: To begin the conference debriefs, cabinet reviewed the eight key concepts and members were reminded to keep them in mind at every meeting, but especially this one. The eight key concepts of the NSSSA are as follows: Speaker in Charge, Right to Pass, Levelling Out, Speak for I, No Unfinished Business, Business Never Personal, No Killer Statements, Positive Internal Focus

 

Conference Overall: Overall, conference went extremely well with exceptional positive feedback from both delegates and advisors who attended. It came across as though there were a majority of young and new delegates who seemed to have been positively impacted, as well as had an amazing time.

 

FRAME: Throughout the debrief, cabinet followed the guidelines of FRAME (Focus, Reflect, Assess, Make Meaning, and Explore) to review the two-day conference on November 11 and 12 following the short debrief directly at the end of the second day. It was decided that different cabinet members were to facilitate each topic up for discussion and review throughout the meeting. The topics covered were: Engagement Sessions, Walkie-Talkies, Accountability, Communication, Scheduling, Database, Preparation/Training, Open Spectrum Room, and Advisors.

 

Engagement Sessions: While discussing the engagement sessions at conference, an overarching problem was communication as each cabinet member or delegate would receive misinformation or half information.

 

Focus: During registration at conference, the rooms written on the delegates’ hands in red was to be the first engagement session that they would attend, and the room written in green or blue would be the second engagement session to attend; however, there was a miscommunication on which was to be attended first. The WENDYs made announcements on the fact but were clearly not heard or listened to by many. Some cabinet members expressed the opinion that the decision to cut the second engagement session was not necessarily the best idea during conference and there could have been cuts to other activities. Along with this, some engagement sessions’ hosts did not get to interact with many or any delegates at all. Some sessions were over packed because of miscommunication between delegates and cabinet, as well as the fact that some delegates would find out which sessions their friends would be going to and decide to join that one as well. The logistics team were confused on where each session was held and who was leading those sessions and therefore could not accurately direct delegates to the rooms. Last minute registers were stressful and confusing for the 3-tions and the details of the engagement sessions should have been more clearly communicated. At one point, guests leading engagement sessions were in the lobby area of Rosaria with no one from cabinet to help them or lead them to their rooms. Many skill building rooms, which were where the engagement sessions were held, were left untidy before the engagement sessions. As well, during the scheduling and timing conflict, not all hosts of sessions knew about the situation going on and were left in the dark for a period of time.

 

Reflect: The reason why the keynote speaker ran late was that she began late due to miscommunication between cabinet and logistics and during the switch between skill building sessions and lunch, there was a large time gap. The engagement sessions ran late because the activities ahead were running late. The second engagement session was chosen not to occur because many hosts could not and were not expected to stay later in the day, as well, meal times could not be pushed back. Logistics were running behind on the line-of-sight because many skill builders were told to complete their sessions before moving on to the next activity and the logistics team had to go room-to-room to tell groups to stop their sessions. When someone asked Quinn when engagement sessions were to begin, the feedback that he had been receiving from hosts led to a quick decision to be made regarding the state of the engagement sessions. 3-tions received all of the hosts’ information but did not know where to but the information; there was miscommunication between the 3-tions and the Public Relations as Kat personally thought that the 3-tions knew what information they required from the engagement sessions hosts and what to put into the database. An apology letter was sent to all engagement session’s hosts after the situation. Because the engagement sessions were spread along two buildings and two floors with only one Public Relation having a headset, there was lost communication there as well.

 

Assess: On the registration form, there could be the engagement sessions listed and delegates/skill builders could sign up for sessions before conference day. Another solution is for each delegate to sign up for their top three engagement sessions that they are interested in, the cabinet makes each group for the sessions based on those preferences, and the list of delegates would be read out at the end of the keynote speaker for the sessions. As well, each engagement session host could receive a card with their name, building, room number, and approximately how many delegates would be attending their session. To make finding sessions easier, signs could be made for each of the rooms. Communication should occur with the speaker about how much time they have to speak and take questions to make sure they would not go over time (especially if activities are running behind schedule). Engagement sessions could also occur in the auditorium.

 

Make Meaning: All of these points may be brought up at Conference Committee and Inclusion Committee to ensure the same mistakes do not occur. Communication was the largest issue and cabinet members need to be on the same page for the engagement sessions. Each position should have a schedule for throughout conference on what needs to be done. A message board could be put up in a cabinet room for things that need to be completed to helped out with for those who do not have a job to do. Short cabinet meetings could occur during skill building sessions (and other times where most of cabinet does not have a job to do) to fill one another in on different problems to address them at the moment.

 

Explore: During the engagement sessions and before, resources (such as headsets) need to be allocated the Public Relations until the sessions are complete. All positions that did not have anything to do should have been helping the Public Relations; during all of conference, cabinet should be coming together to help each other out. Talent show prep or another activity could have been cut in half to have an opportunity open for engagement session hosts to return to conference to have their session. More lines on the headsets should be open as the lines were not utilized enough during conference; there could be different lines for specific positions. There could be a walkie-talkie schedule along with a position schedule during conference. A suggestion was to replace engagement sessions with an opportunity fair; however, it depends on what the conference would get out of it as sometimes it is not engaging. Another suggestion was to cut down on the number of engagement sessions and have active sessions on one floor and informative on another to make it easy to locate the different sessions.

 

Walkie-Talkies: Not everyone on cabinet has a headset, therefore sometimes there was easy and direct communication between cabinet members, but other times people were left in the dark. A suggestion was to get a Walkie-Talkie app (ex. Zello) that all cabinet members would have on their phones to increase communication between cabinet members and everyone would be able to be directly contacted if needed.

 

Accountability: While discussing accountability, communication was an overarching problem. Taking accountability was an issue during conference when problems arose.

 

Focus: Accountability is about whose job is whose. Some cabinet members were unclear as to what their role was, whether it was from the turnovers they received or from the training retreat. An example given was from a 3-tion as she felt that she was “left in the dark” regarding her position and that it is difficult to know what you are doing wrong when you never knew what to do. While the Co-Premiers had very little experience on a cabinet and the Co-Advisors had a lot of experience, there may have been a situation where the Co-Advisors were used as a “crutch.” Leading up to conference, it was felt by some cabinet members that there was a lot of input from the Co-Advisors and then during conference there was not a lot of communication with the Co-Advisors. A situation occurred where the logistics were directing delegates and skill builders to their skill building rooms while others were directing people to the auditorium; if an activity is on the itinerary, that is where logistics will be telling people to go and cabinet should communicate more clearly is something in the schedule changes.

 

Reflect: While the phrase “I did not know” is allowed for the first little bit of being on cabinet, it should not be occurring as much as time goes on; cabinet members should be taking the initiative, learn as much as they can, and utilize their available resources (turnovers, alumni, other cabinet members, etc). While each year there is a brand new cabinet, the biggest issue is not knowing what each person is doing and not asking for help or speaking up about it. The more that you ask for help, the more you can get out of each position, and the more you can put into each event or conference that is put on. An issue that many cabinet members found was that they did not know what they did not know; it is hard to as a question about something that you did not know was going to happen or was your responsibility.

 

Assess: A suggestion to make to the Provincial Cabinet was that those running for Co-Premier of a cabinet are required too have previous cabinet or committee experience; there was a different dynamic between Co-Advisors and Co-Premiers with the lack of experience. Some positions found that within their turnover packages, there was information regarding their entire position except for what takes place on conference day. 3-tions should be in two different buildings at all times. As the registration forms had many errors and parts to fix, Abe and the Presidential Trio (who made the final forms) should have taken accountability instead of the 3-tions.

 

Make Meaning and Explore: The logistics should be given a list of which delegates need to leave conference early, who would be picking them up, and at what time. The Public Relations did not know that they had to go through the Presidential Trio in order to contact universities. The Co-Advisors and Co-Premiers may need another alumni position between cabinet as whole and Abe.

 

Communication:

 

Focus: It was felt for some cabinet members that there should have been more cabinet bonding sessions so that partners are on the same page and that there should have been more levelling out with communication between partners. Phones should be on (ringer as loud as possible) and the Walkie-Talkie app should be utilized. Throughout conference, headsets should be given to those who need them the most at the moment. While communicating with cabinet members, everyone should be listening to what each person has to say as every person’s points should be respected and are valid. Without a headset, it is difficult to communicate and cabinet members may feel out of the loop, therefore, cellphones should be used more throughout conference.

 

Reflect: There should be more communication with advisors and principals because there was a situation where an advisor did not show up and the principal had to be called. While mail outs were not supposed to be sent out, there was a lack of a point of contact with schools. The Head School Reps had a difficult time contacting schools and did not contact all principals, as well as should have had a database to send to the 3-tions.

 

Assess: There should have been more open communication between cabinet, each school rep, advisors, and principals, as well as between the Head School Reps, the 3-tions and Co-Advisors and with Junior High Schools. Deadlines should also be more clearly communicated with schools. A suggestion was to make a mail out package and then send out an email to each school stating that they were sent out. There should not be an option to send a cheque directly to the NSSSA (to make sure there is only one cheque for each school and there are no lost payments). An idea was to make contact sheets with both alumni contact information and cabinet contact information.

 

Make Meaning: Some alumni felt disrespected as they gave out pointers to cabinet members that were either not listened to or flat out disrespected. Points that were brought up were sometimes half dealt with but not entirely dealt with. Each school council should choose their own NSSSA rep.

 

Explore: A suggestion was to request for Abe to come to more meetings or help out the Public Relations more, as well as have the Presidential Trio to have more involvement and communication with the Public Relations or have a Public Relations Coordinator (similar to the Head School Rep Coordinator). The Co-Premiers can bring up that the Trio may need more communication within each cabinet. Quinn will speak directly with the VPE about the deficits that the Public Relations have brought up and how to move forward. Cabinet members are advised to contact alumni if they need help. It may be beneficial to have skill building and delegate forms due on the same day. In turnovers, cabinet members can write in to set more check-ins, deadlines, and where to get information for when cabinet members cannot get answers to questions. On conference day, personal positional schedules would aid in less confusion and more direction from Co-Advisors and Co-Premiers would be beneficial.

 

Scheduling: In order to make the itinerary, it was suggested that all of cabinet should have sat down together and made the itinerary as a cabinet. This is because most positions have a major event that occurs during conference and they need to have their input into the itinerary for scheduling. With this, many errors could have been prevented within the itinerary. As well, transition times must be taken into account while making the itinerary, and a rule of thumb to remember is to have at least 10 minutes of transition time between each activity. Another suggestion was to request to have dinner later in the itinerary.

 

Database: A meeting will be set specifically with the 3-tions, the Co-Premiers, and Co-Advisors to discuss the database in-depth. Major points regarding the database are that the 3-tions require each school’s principal’s cell phone number, logistics and chaperones should be given a list of delegates that are leaving conference early and at the specified time, as well logistics and chaperones should be given access to the database to print off attendance sheets. Also, cabinet members are requested not to give 3-tions forms directly and to just let the school send them in, as it is difficult to enter delegates from a school into the database with only half of the forms and/or no cheque from the school. Pictures of forms sent in via email are not ideal either, as the payment would not be in at the same instance. Another point to remember is that one 3-tion must stay in Rosaria at all times during conference. If a school tends to send in forms late, often Abe will reach out if asked to inquire about forms.

 

Preparation/Training: A suggestion for next year is to hold a turnover meeting with this year’s cabinet and the incoming cabinet for the next year. If possible, alumni should come to more meetings, as well as help out more throughout the year with their past experience in various positions on cabinet. As well, past members of cabinet could begin a “mentorship” program within each position to help out the new incoming cabinet member throughout the year. In regards to turnover packages, sections that should be included in each one are “On Conference Day,” relaying the basic outline of what the position should be doing during conference, and “Night Before,” explaining (in general) what should be done before or on the night before conference.

 

Open Spectrum Room: In general, having the open spectrum room is a good idea. However, parents tend to care about separate “gender” specified rooms, some people may have religious beliefs and care, and some people may have specific past experiences and care about staying in specific spectrum rooms. However, there are people that will take advantage of the system put in place for sleeping, and there were people who took advantage during conference. During one instance, two masculine spectrum specified delegates requested to sleep in the feminine spectrum room because their friends were sleeping there, and this situation put the Head Chaperones, Jules, and Quinn in an uncomfortable situation in which they had to make a quick decision and risk putting delegates in a disadvantageous and uncomfortable situation. During another instance, a group of both feminine and masculine specified spectrums slept in the open spectrum room together due to the fact that they’re friends; not because any of them felt uncomfortable sleeping with a large group, nor because they did not feel comfortable sleeping in either of the other rooms. Due to this situation, delegates sleeping in the open spectrum room for their own personal reasons may have felt uneasy. A solution to the situation would be to have two sleeping areas, a masculine spectrum room, and a feminine spectrum room, and tell delegates at the opening ceremonies to speak to a cabinet member directly if they have an issue with either of those rooms, and they could be placed in the open spectrum room. Another solution is to have boxes for delegates to check off on the registration forms ahead of time in order to analyze the situation before conference time. A problem with that solution is that a guardian may not know which gender that the delegate identifies with, but the NSSSA must abide by the gender that the guardian has signed off for in that case; however, the situations must be taken case-by-case. Another solution suggested were to have the largest room be the open spectrum room with two smaller masculine and feminine spectrum rooms for those uncomfortable sleeping in the largest room for any reason. However, this sleeping situation could lose schools or delegates as guardians or schools may be uncomfortable with that sleeping situation. As the organization grows, new filters for sleeping will be facilitated and the decisions people make in regards to sleeping areas will be easier to make.

 

Advisors: Speaking to different advisors, Mary learned that advisors would like to know what delegates are doing at conference. A suggestion was to hold an advisors retreat, similar to a skill building retreat, before conference.

 

Remembrance Day Ceremony: The statement for Indigenous Land Recognition was not read and the original version of “In Flander’s Fields” read in French was not the correct French translation. There was an issue with calling the ceremony a “celebration” as we were not celebrating the war, and there was an email regarding the Remembrance Day Ceremony/Commemoration that was not acknowledged.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Becca motioned to adjourn the meeting at 22:05 and Annabelle seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: TBD

 

 

 

Metro Meeting Minutes – November 5, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171105

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:33

Time of Adjournment: 21:33

Duration: Two hours

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Anna Campbell, Julia Lawrence, Quinn MacIsaac

Regrets: Cody Campbell

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: Anna and Hannah J have been entering forms into the database and checking the mailbox. Cunard Junior High School and Sackville High School still need to be entered, and Lockview is nearly complete. The confirmation email to delegates will be sent out on Tuesday, as well as an email sent out to Principals informing or reminding the Principal which students will be attending conference. Refunds are to go through the treasurer, who will write a refunded cheque to the school of the individual, which will then refund a cheque to that individual.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The retreat went extremely well, and an email was sent out to the skill builders following the retreat. The Skill Building Co-Chairs will be sending out the packing list, EPIC roles, and a mini skill builder packing list to all skill builders before conference. Claire and Mary are advised not to worry about latex allergies for activities, as there have not been any recorded, and it is fairly uncommon to have severe allergies to latex. Skill builders will be asked to bring candy, full value contract item, enough markers for the group, two permanent markers, and scissors. If any cabinet members are able to bring any of the following items, they are asked to do so the night before conference: small plastic balls, skittles, sheets of paper, balloons, dry beans, and blindfolds.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations have completed their first Twitter contest, and have planned out when they will be giving out prizes and hosting contests during conference. Before the talent show, during free time, there will be a photo scavenger hunt with a prize at the end optional for delegates. Another how-to was confirmed with Junior Achievement, and Annabelle made contact with Dairy Queen about donating a cake for EPIC and will go in to meet with them tomorrow. The Snapchat filter is ready for conference. The prospective Twitter Wall for conference is $40 and it was decided not to use it during conference. An alternative is to pull up the Twitter page on the big screen and ask delegates to tweet at the Metro NSSSA Twitter account. A video about the 3D’s was just completed to post as part of the countdown to conference and if possible, cabinet members are asked to bring in yoga mats for a how-to at conference.

 

WENDY’s: EPIC is nearly complete and just needs to be typed up, and the new theme for EPIC was decided to be “Who Killed Vine?”. The theme for the talent show will be the “N-TV Awards,” and Fortesa and Alex will dress up as hosts for an award show as opposed to changing in between talents. A suggestion was to record Quinn’s laugh to use as part of a soundboard if Fortesa and Alex make a joke onstage. Throughout all of conference, the WENDY’s will be switching between (matching) costumes.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps had a video call with Jeremy and Amy and debriefed their position thus far and went through what they could put in their turnover package for the next year.

 

Welcoming Chair: Ciara has made 350 fuzzies for conference and wrote up the first draft of the packing list email but did not get a reply on what elements to change or add. In regards to the packing list, delegates can bring prescription medication as well as medications such as Advil or Tylenol, as they cannot be given out at conference. Ciara will be sent the database for the welcoming email and was given the advice to send the email to herself, and blind-carbon-copy all of the delegates that she is sending the email to. The welcoming video is to be recorded on Friday night.

 

Secretary: All of the minutes were sent out and have been since posted on the website. The shirts have been confirmed for conference and will be given out based on sizes; ideally, all delegate forms would be in the database and shirts would be ordered based on that, but because the Metro Region is so large, it would be too difficult to do that.

 

Co-Premiers: Hannah H has been in discussion with Celia regarding the conference shirts and has confirmed them to have been ordered and will be in by conference time. Headsets and printing of manuals have been set out, scholarships will be chosen tomorrow night, and a reminder email will be sent to the keynote speaker for conference.

 

Head Mental Health First Aid: Anna has been making the Mental Health First Aid Kit, which consists of a fidget spinner, Band-Aids, and hard candy. Suggested add-ons were headphones, a colouring book, something scented, stress balls, bubbles, tea, and Anna will add her mental health first aid book. Anna has not received any applicants to be a mental health first aid and is advised to contact NSSSA alumni.

 

Conference:

 

Walkie-Talkies: The advisors, Co-Premiers, Skill Building Co-Chairs, and 3-tions all get walkie-talkies, as do the Head First Aid/Mental Health First Aid (one), the Head Chaperones (one), the Public Relations (one), and the Chaperone/Logistics team.

 

Tasks to be Completed: Miscellaneous tasks were set out for various cabinet members to complete as soon as they could. Hannah J is to make a contact list of all cabinet members and print out 4 copies, print out copies of the itinerary to post around the Mount, and collaborate with Anna G to make the lists of students for each advisor to receive in their advisor package at conference. Anna C is to call the Mount and find out where the AED’s are stationed around MSVU and make a complete list of alumni coming to send to Jules and Quinn. The PRs are to send Jules, Quinn, Cody, and Hannah the list of people hosting how-tos, make sign up sheets and posters for the how-tos, and compile a list of everything donated and being used for prizes at conference. Hannah H and Cody are to have a hard copy of all of the keynote speaker’s contact information ready to go and make a list of what needs to be cleaned up (as well as who is cleaning what) throughout conference. Mary and Claire are to compile a list of skill builders to send to Jules, Quinn, Cody, and Hannah, and whoever is making the skill building groups is to put Kailey and Becca in separate meal times (ex. Group 1 and Group 15). John Harris will be coming to conference for tech.

 

Tasks to be Completed (by Position):

 

Everyone: All of cabinet will be making the welcoming video, the room signs, collect the manuals that were printed, and check to make sure the tech is working well.

 

Co-Premiers: Hannah H and Cody need to email the keynote speaker, contact Brooke or Gabrielle from last year to check in with the logistics of snack breaks, write out and sign thank you cards, and inquire the Mount about getting signs for foods containing lactose.

 

Head School Reps: Kailey and Becca need to email all of the advisors, handwrite in students names in each advisor package, and figure out meal times for the advisors to add into the advisor package.

 

Public Relations: Kat, Annabelle, and Robie have to collect the delegate manuals, sign thank you cards and chocolate for the keynote speaker and the people hosting engagement sessions. The PRs must figure out room numbers, organize the engagement sessions sign up sheets, put up signs next to the doors for the sessions, and put together a list of all of the sessions. They need to bring in the material and props for the photobooth as well as all of the donations to be used as prizes and to put into the delegate bags.

 

3-Tions: Hannah J and Anna G have to send out the confirmation email, keep putting forms into the database, and call schools that do not have forms in to check if they will receive any forms from those schools.

 

Secretary: Celia needs to get the cheque for the conference t-shirts, pick up the conference t-shirts, and organize them by size and skill building group.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: Mary and Claire need to set up the skill building rooms, make signs, get supplies, make blindfolds, and organize supplies for each skill building group.

 

Head Mental Health First Aid: Anna C has to set up the First Aid room. She suggested that Mental Health First Aids wear a cloth around their arms to differentiate between First Aids and Mental Health First Aids.

 

Welcoming Chair: Ciara needs to send out the welcoming email and packing list to all delegates.

 

WENDY’s: Fortesa and Alex need to print out awards and make trophies for the talent show and get supplies for EPIC. Cabinet members are asked to bring in their paper towel rolls and saltshakers (containing salt) from home.

 

Day/Night Before Conference: Cabinet members are asked to arrive at the Mount the day before conference to arrive as early as possible and complete work that can be done before Quinn and Jules arrive at 4:30pm. At the very latest, cabinet members should arrive at 7:00pm, when there will be a potluck for dinner. Items that are being brought for the potluck are chips and dip, drinks, cups and plates, hummus and pita/vegetables, utensils and napkins, quinoa salad, meatballs, garlic bread, mashed potatoes, Cantonese chow mein, rice, cake, chicken nuggets, Caesar salad, and chilli. The order of events is as follows: delegate bags will be put together, set up of the MPR, posters will be put up, set up of skill building rooms, and then positional tasks that need to be completed.

 

Morning of Conference: All cabinet members are to arrive at MSVU for 7:00am to make sure that every aspect is set up and tech is good to go. Skill builders that arrive at 8:30am get to be set up with their tables.

 

Itinerary: Delegates are to arrive at conference at 9:00am. Following registration and fuzzying are the opening ceremonies at 10:00am consisting of introductions and the welcome of everyone to conference. The Remembrance Day celebrations begin at 11:00am, which consist of the moment of silence, a song, and a reading of In Flander’s Fields in both English and French. Following that is a lunch-skill building session split (which then switches), the keynote speaker, engagement sessions, followed by a skill building session-dinner split. Once everyone has eaten, EPIC occurs, followed by talent show prep/free time, and the talent show. Once the talent show is complete, the late-night activity (a game of Kahoot with NSSSA Trivia) occurs, and then the night is complete. The morning after, cabinet is to wake up at 7:00am with delegates waking up at 7:30am. Then, the morning activity occurs before everyone heads to breakfast. The last skill building session occurs after breakfast, which then moves onto the closing ceremonies, completing conference. NSSSA spirit wear will not be sold at conference.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Ciara motioned to adjourn the meeting at 21:33 and Annabelle seconded the motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting will occur after the Metro Regional Conference: Breakthrough 2017 concludes on November 12, 2017. Location and time are TBD.

Metro Meeting Minutes – October 29, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171029

 

Location: Millwood High School, Cafeteria

Time of Commencement: 16:20

Time of Adjournment: 17:27

Duration: One hour and seven minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Celia Briand, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Jules Lawrence, Qendresa Sahiti, Anna Campbell

Regrets: Ciara Harris, Hannah Hewlin

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-tions have been entering forms into the database, with 75 complete, and have been organizing all of the cheques. The confirmation email for delegates should be sent out within the next couple of days for the ones already entered into the database and the rest should be sent out periodically (ex. every two days).

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The Skill Building Retreat is complete. There is a list of supplies for skill building sessions, but the amount of each item is not definite as it depends entirely on how many delegates will be attending conference. A “wish list” will be made and sent out to cabinet for skill building session supplies. Everything in the skill building manual has been finalized with the Co-Premier letter and the 8 Key Concepts now in it. A suggestion for the manual is to have the debrief questions relating to real-life situations and to look at past manuals for inspiration. Skill builders who forgot to bring their parents signatures to the retreat will bring them to conference. Posters for each skill building room will be made the night before conference.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations had a conference call with Mullen and completely finished the delegate manual. There will be a Snapchat filter for conference and Kat is looking into having a Twitter Wall with filters and blocking features for unwanted tweets. The Twitter Wall could be free for thirty minutes, or the pro version may be around ten dollars or more with an unlimited usage feature. There are also a lot of contest prizes to win during conference. A cheque will be arriving at Hannah H’s house from NSCC soon. The gift for the keynote speaker has not been put together but will be soon; examples of things to put in the gift are cards from cabinet or just the Co-Premiers, gift cards, flowers, and pens. There will be a conference wifi and, if needed, log-ins for the computers. There will be cards to give to those hosting how-tos, and the how-tos will be placed strategically. There are 12 how-to sessions confirmed so far; 3 active and 9 informative. Sam Delaney will lead an optional guided meditation yoga session for advisors during conference. The Sahiti’s father may be able to host a self-defense how-to and Becca’s father makes balloon animals and may be able to do a how-to as well. An idea for the photo booth at conference is to have a “fake” Instagram template for people to take pictures in. The how-to’s hosts will meet in the lobby of the Seton Building with the PRs and 3-tions.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s did research for EPIC and will be emailing out all of the information for EPIC to everyone. Cabinet members are advised to save paper towel rolls for an activity during EPIC.

 

Head School Reps: The forms for conference were due the past Monday (October 23) and therefore the Head School Reps have not had a lot to complete. They are having a call with Jeremy on Thursday and are in the process of making him a list of schools and school reps.

 

Welcoming Chair: The Welcoming Chair has completed a first draft of the packing list and welcoming email, and will send it to the Co-Premiers shortly to be looked over. Once given the go-ahead to send out the email, the Welcoming Chair will need the database in order to send out the emails to all of the skill builders and delegates. Ciara would like to be briefed on the etiquette of sending mass emails before sending out the welcoming email and packing list.

 

Secretary: The minutes have not been posted on the website as of yet due to the fact that not all of cabinet has replied to them. The Secretary sent out and confirmed the order for the conference t-shirts.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers finalized the budget and the itinerary, have made contact with Bell Media, and attended the Provincial Cabinet meeting.

 

Head First Aid: Qendresa has not received any forms for First Aids at conference. As part of the first aid kit, there will now be splints, ice packs, and juice boxes.

 

Head Mental Health First Aid: Anna wanted to make sure that cabinet is taking care of themselves and has plans to make a Mental Health First Aid Kit so if any cabinet members have any suggestions of what to put in the kit, they are advised to email Anna.

 

New Business:

 

Night Before Conference: The time to arrive at MSVU the night before conference is typically set at 5:00pm, but cabinet members are encouraged to come as soon as they can. Cabinet will be making posters, setting up the advisors station, setting up the first aid room, making the delegate bags, the 3-tions will be working with Abe, and any other pre-conference preparation that must be done. Due to the hours that cabinet will be at MSVU, there will be a cabinet potluck and a post on Facebook will go up for cabinet members to post what they are bringing. Generally, pre-conference preparation will be aimed to be completed by 9:30pm but may run later. Cabinet is to arrive at MSVU by 7:00am on the morning of conference.

 

Tie-Dye: Cabinet will tie-dye their “Metro What” shirts at the Sahiti’s house before the cabinet meeting on November 5. Cabinet members may arrive at any time after 5:30pm and are requested to bring their own plastic bag to put their tie-dyed shirts in.

 

Delegate Bags: Within the delegate bags there will be pens, brochures, the conference t-shirts, fuzzies, and the delegate manual. Halloween candy will be on sale so Annabelle suggested that large packs could be purchased to add candy to the delegate bags. Sam Delaney said that she could potentially get some items from the different campaigns that work with the UKC for the delegate bags as well.

 

Miscellaneous:

 

The welcoming activity will be hosted in the MPR where it has been hosted in the previous years (excluding Foundations 2016).

 

Cabinet will sleep in their own room together during conference.

 

There will be a rundown of speaking in front of the auditorium for cabinet as well as the Head First Aid and the Head Mental Health First Aid.

 

Jules and Quinn will leave their numbers replying to the minutes and encourage cabinet to contact them with problems that they may encounter in the days leading up to conference, whether they be logistical problems or having to do with mental health.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Claire motioned to adjourn the meeting at 17:27 and Alex seconded the motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting will occur on November 5, 2017, at MSVU in the Rosaria Building in room 105.

Metro Meeting Minutes- October 22, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171022

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:12

Time of Adjournment: 20:53

Duration: One hour and forty-one minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Qendresa Sahiti, Christina Torrealba, Tammy Selman, Taline Selman

Regrets: Cody Campbell, Julia Lawrence

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-Tions have been answering a lot of emails, mainly from junior high school principals. The school information package and advisor email have been sent out, and a database has been made with some cabinet members already in it. The 3-Tions just received the mailbox keys to retrieve registration forms and have already begun to make a list of topics to write up in the turnover package at the end of the year. Hannah J realized that there was no section for a parent signature so it was decided to send out a form to delegates in the welcoming email for the parents to sign off on and bring to conference. Skill builders may bring their parent signatures to the skill building retreat. If a delegate comes to conference without a parent signature, their parent would have to be contacted.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: There are only eight pairs of skill builders at current and there need to be at least fifteen pairs of skill builders for conference, so cabinet members are asked to let potential skill builders know of the need for more. The Skill Building Co-Chairs are in need of the 8 Key Concepts and the Co-Premier letter from the delegate manual for the skill building manual. The email to the senior skill builders attending the Skill Building Retreat has been sent out. The Skill Builder Retreat will occur on October 29, 2017, at Millwood High School, and all members of cabinet are expected to attend from 12:30pm until 4:30 pm. The 3-Tions are requested to do registration during the first fifteen minutes of the retreat, and the cabinet meeting will occur after the retreat at Millwood High School.

 

Public Relations: About five universities are donating sweaters to use as contest prizes at conference. The Public Relations still need the MSVU ad for the back of the delegate manual, the itinerary, and the cabinet picture. The third draft of the delegate manual has been completed, and an ad has been sold to be put in the manual. There is a possibility of having a sign language how-to, but to do so, there would need to be an interpreter during the session.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s have been preparing for EPIC and have spoken to more people about costumes. During the late-nighter at conference, it was proposed to do an alternate activity as opposed to the Mostest and karaoke. One alternative suggested was playing Just Dance, connecting either a Wii or a Kinect game console to the projector in the auditorium. Another suggestion was a large game of Kahoot where the winner would win a sweater. The late-nighter is set to run after the talent show from 10:45pm – 11:30pm, but will likely finish up at 12:00am with bed runs occurring throughout the night.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps have emailed the school information package to principals, advisors, and school reps, and have been replying to emails. Most schools appear to be prepared with advisors and Peter Woo and Jeremy Scallion have volunteered to come to conference as advisors for delegates who don’t have one.

 

Welcoming Chair: 339 fuzzies have been completed and the Welcoming Chair should be updated on the number of delegates coming to conference to know how many fuzzies should be made. The itinerary must be emailed to the Welcoming Chair for the welcoming email and packing list, as well as what will be occurring for Remembrance Day at conference. Ciara’s brother will be attending conference to aid with the tech.

 

Secretary: The Secretary posted the minutes on the website and is to call Steve as soon as possible to finalize clothing orders.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have been speaking with the keynote speaker and the scholarships for conference are going to be posted on the website soon. Cody may have been in contact with the Legion this week, a presentation was done at Astral Drive Junior High School, and the itinerary for conference is complete.

 

Head Logistics/Chaperones: Both the Head Logistics and Head Chaperons have been in contact with Cody and if there are to be around 300 delegates, there needs to be 15 logistics and 15 chaperones each. It is slightly confusing as to who is applying for the position of logistics and who is applying for the position of chaperone. In order to be a chaperone or logistics, the applicant must be able to stay overnight at conference and over eighteen years old. The Head Logistics and Head Chaperones’ phone numbers are on the application, along with their emails, in order to have both points of contact available for people to contact if they have questions.

 

Head First Aid: The Head First Aid has not received any forms yet, but will network and ask senior skill builders. First Aids at conference do not have to be NSSSA alumni but do have to have received first aid training.

 

New Business:

 

Caffeine: While enforcing the 3D’s at conference, cabinet members are encouraged to “practice what you preach,” but also learn about and open up the discussion on what they are practicing. A large topic that was discussed was coffee and other drinks with caffeine in them. While there are pros to moderate doses of coffee, such as protection against some diseases, improvement of pain medication, and it is sometimes prescribed for tiredness, there are also cons, such as the fact that coffee is a diuretic and may lead to dehydration, and more coffee can lead to a dependence and tolerance increase, which can then result in withdrawal symptoms. While coffee is available at conference, it is encouraged for everyone to consume it on their own discretion while thinking of the science-based aspects of the effects of caffeine on the body. Some people may experience withdrawal symptoms if they do not drink enough of it, and those that do should not be criminalized for needing to drink it. However, alcohol and energy drinks are not allowed at conference whatsoever, while soda and tea are available but to be consumed by each person’s own discretion.

 

Smoking: At provincial conference last year, there would be delegates who would ask the chaperones to go on “smoke breaks” because they felt like they could trust them. Due to the possible withdrawals, it was better to have the smoking occur in a controlled environment rather than having a delegate disappear to do it on their own. Chaperones, logistics, and advisors would deal with these situations as they come. It is a difficult situation to deal with because no one should be stigmatized for an addiction, but an opening should not occur where people could enable others to begin smoking. A suggestion was to outline withdrawal symptoms, while not explicitly stating smoking or anything of the like, within the first aid speech at the beginning of conference in order for delegates to know who to contact if feeling the symptoms. Vapes carry nicotine as well and vaping must be addressed at the beginning of conference. At the provincial level, how to handle the “grey area” situations should be consistent and Quinn will bring the subject up with the ones higher up in the organization.

 

Cabinet Culture: Cabinet members are reminded that meetings are safe spaces and that everyone should feel like they can come forward and speak about what they feel. No one should ever feel as though they are being attacked or snapped at while receiving potential criticism on an idea, and cabinet members should not shy away from bringing up controversial ideas. Because so many people on cabinet seem to be talkative and outgoing, it was proposed that meetings would work better if there were a break about 10 or 15 minutes long mid-meeting to eat snacks and catch up with one another before getting back to work. In this way, there is a way to try to find the balance between having fun and bonding together and getting work completed. Weekly snacks will be brought in by position or whoever volunteers to for that meeting. If any cabinet member is feeling overwhelmed or stressed, they should not be afraid to talk to Hannah H or Cody about anything. Cabinet members should also not be worried about asking for help within their position as there is a multitude of people who can provide insight to the possible issue, such as any alumni, the Co-Premiers, the Co-Advisors, or returning cabinet members. Quinn mentioned that cabinet members are to never hesitate to pull Jules or Quinn into a situation where the cabinet member is not being treated respectfully by an outside contact.

 

Miscellaneous:

 

The welcoming video does not have a storyboard created yet, but may not need one as the welcoming video could be shot montage-style similar to last year.

 

Nick Roberts confirmed that he would perform The Last Post at conference for Remembrance Day.

 

If someone knows a WENDY who remembers all of the tunes to all of the cheers from the cheer bible, they are requested to get said former WENDY in contact with Fortesa.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Fortesa motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:53 and Kailey seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting will occur after the Skill Builder Retreat at Millwood High School, beginning around 4:30pm.

Metro Meeting Minutes- October 15, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171015

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:08

Time of Adjournment: 20:16

Duration: One hour and eight minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Julia Lawrence, Tammy Selman, Christina Torrealba, Qendresa Sahiti

Regrets: Hannah Johnson, Kat Pindera, Mary Stackaruk

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-tions have started the database for conference and have it ready to enter in. All members of cabinet are requested to fill out a registration form and give to one of the 3-tions to enter their information into the database. Anna has made a school package discussing topics for schools filled with important information to be sent out. Kat and Anna have visited one junior high for a presentation and are planning on attending two more within the coming week. Anna has contacted the Timberlea Prospect Council regarding members potentially attending conference and has posted onto Facebook groups and put up signs promoting conference.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The skill building manual has been completed and the Skill Building Co-Chairs are now taking in skill builder registration forms. An email going out to the senior skill builders will be sent within the week about the skill building retreat. Senior skill builders will be asked to arrive at the retreat approximately thirty minutes early to the retreat. Last year there were forty-nine skill builders for conference, but there is to be a few more for the upcoming conference.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations have received another contest prize from the Discovery Centre and have to contact MSVU about a sweater donation as a prize. All businesses from the database have been contacted and Kat and Annabelle will be contacting businesses in Bayers Lake. Robie has been contacting NSCC and is to send the NSSSA informative video to Annabelle. Mount Allison University has sent a cheque to Hannah H. The second draft for the delegate manual is completed and some things are still required for it to be completed, such as the cover in JPEG form and the MSVU advertisement as the back page. The Public Relations have sent out times for engagement sessions and have begun tweeting. Any cabinet members who have not sent in a picture with their partner to either Annabelle, Robie, or Kat, is asked to do so as soon as possible. Fortesa met a girl from Junior Achievement who helps run it, and who used to be a Co-Premier for the NSSSA, that would be interested in doing a how-to and will give the Public Relations her email.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s have been figuring out games for EPIC and want to do a run-through to make sure that it would not be too short and not too long. Cabinet members are asked to bring in any and all costumes that they own for the WENDY’s to wear at conference.

 

Head School Reps: All school reps have been emailed about advisors and nearly every school has an advisor. The ratio for Auburn Drive High School is complicated, but they are working it out. The Head School Reps have all of the advisors’ emails for the advisor package and information to be sent out and have asked for a rough estimate of delegates from each school’s advisors. Nearly all high school presentations are complete.

 

Welcoming Chair: Through the fuzzy-making get together and Ciara’s own fuzzy-making, a little bit over 250 fuzzies have been made. The Welcoming Chair has been drafting both the packing list and the welcoming email. The song that is going to be used for the welcoming video will be “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor. The filming of the welcoming video may occur at the next meeting.

 

Secretary: The minutes from the last meeting were sent out and posted on the website. The cabinet spirit wear orders have come in and will get picked up by either Celia or Hannah J for the next meeting.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have confirmed Jessie Bowers to speak at conference and have finished the conference itinerary. There has been an attempt at contacting the Legion and there will hopefully be communication with them this week. Ciara suggested showing a Remembrance Day video rather than having a Legionnaire at conference, as they will be busy on Remembrance Day. There will be poem readings, and the Last Post and the Pittance of Time played at conference. The Co-Premiers have gotten last year’s budget and are updating their budget for the upcoming year. The Co-Premiers will be attending the upcoming Provincial Cabinet meeting on October 21 and have reminded all of the cabinet members about the StFX recruitment opportunity (also on October 21).

 

Head Logistics/Chaperones: There have been forms sent in for the Head Logistics or Head Chaperones to look over while the preferred position had not been specified. Age does not matter in order to be a Chaperone, as long as the alumni are over eighteen years old.

 

Head First Aid: There have not been any forms sent in yet. Julia has the First Aid Kit to give to Qendresa.

 

New Business:

 

Junior Highs: It appears as though most school reps would not be able to get to their feeder schools to do presentations, so cabinet members are asked to go to their own junior high schools to do a presentation using the template Becca sent out via email. Each cabinet member who goes to a junior high school must let either Becca or Kailey know in order to keep track of presentations. Forms for junior high schools may be given to the principal or secretary of said school or be posted up on a bulletin board (if allowed). Junior high forms must go to the school’s principal to get a signature (rather than an advisor signature). All delegates attending conference from junior high schools need an advisor, therefore the advisor may be a teacher from that junior high school or the delegate may be posted underneath an advisor that the NSSSA will give them from another school. The advisor must get the signature of the principal of the junior high, and there will be contact between said advisor, the delegate, the principal, and the NSSSA. Ideally, an advisor from each specific junior high school will attend conference with the grade 9 delegates.

 

Advisors: Finding advisors may be difficult due to the past year, so if that is the case, it is important to make contact with the Co-Premiers or the Cabinet Advisors. Advisors do stay overnight at conference, and there is disparity between whether advisors enjoy the free time at conference or not. An idea suggested for advisors during conference is to have an activity optional for the advisors during conference.

 

StFX Recruitment Day: All cabinet and committee members were invited to a prestigious recruitment event at St. Francis Xavier University on October 21, 2017, beginning at 3:00pm. It is recommended that if it is possible, all cabinet members should attend.

 

School Information Package: Anna made a school information package to send to schools regarding important information that they will need in order to send students to conference. It covers topics such as important dates and information, information for advisors, how to mail registration forms, payments and receipts, and refunds. An email was sent out to all cabinet members with the package attached.

 

Scholarships: Scholarships will be posted on the website and will either be sent in through email or via GoogleForms. There will be five full scholarships given out under one scholarship called the Jessie Bowers Scholarship. On the form for the Jessie Bower Scholarship, there will be information about Jessie and what she will be talking about during her keynote. There will be three questions and the applicant will pick one to answer to attain the scholarship; the questions will be based on mental health (ex. “What does mental health mean to you?” and “Do you believe that people are being properly educated about mental health?”). The rest of the scholarships given out will be half scholarships and will be comprised of questions and answers for the applicant to answer. On the scholarship form, the applicants will self-identify with various groups on the form and, once received, will be chosen based on their answers and their specific group. Delegates will apply for conference (sending in a cheque) but will get a refund if they are successful in acquiring a scholarship. Scholarship information will be given to the school reps to inform prospective delegates about how they work. There will be communication with the International Students ambassadors within each school regarding sending international students to conference.

 

Conference Shirts: The same amount of conference t-shirts for delegates and alumni positions should be ordered this year as last year. First Aids will have red t-shirts and the Chaperones and Logistics will have yellow t-shirts.

 

Snapchat Filter: It was suggested to have a Snapchat filter for conference. Snapchat filters are fairly easy to acquire and inexpensive.

 

Tie-Dye: Cabinet will tie-dye the Metro What shirts on a Sunday potentially before a meeting at the Sahiti’s house. Tie-dying will take a maximum of two hours, and may take place a week before conference on November 5, 2017.

 

Miscellaneous: It is important to recognize that MSVU is seated on unceded Mi’kmaq territory before conference begins or at the opening ceremonies, and the Mount will be asked whether they have a specific announcement that they would like to be said.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Claire motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:16 and Alex seconded the motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, October 22, 2017, at Mount St. Vincent University in the Rosaria Building in room 105.

Metro Meeting Minutes – October 1, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20171001

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:01

Time of Adjournment: 20:04

Duration: One hour and three minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: N/A

Regrets: Quinn MacIsaac, Julia Lawrence

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: Jules and Anna got together and emailed with Abe to make corrections on all of the registration forms for conference as well as made sure that all of the forms were saved in both PDF and Word format. Questions on various forms needed to be changed and Jules sent out the final forms which can be posted on the website as soon as possible. The due date for skill builder forms is on October 15, 2017, so it is imperative that promotion happens through everyone on cabinet. As well, 3-Tions still do not have the mailbox keys from Abe.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: Skill building sessions are nearly completed with edits being made to the visualization meditation and revision being made to an old session. The skill building retreat is to occur on October 29, 2017, in the afternoon. The custodial fee at Millwood High School is more expensive than the available room at the Halifax Central Library. Cole Harbour High is an option to host the retreat while a custodian is not needed as long as cabinet completely cleans up after the retreat and replaces the garbage bags. The Chocolate Lake Recreation Centre is free to host the retreat as well; a school or the rec centre is ideal in regards to spacing. Planning for the skill building retreat is next on the agenda, but the Skill Building Co-Chairs have already gone through what should occur at the retreat.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations have been contacting businesses for donations and have gotten a cheque and brochures from Mount Allison University. Becca has many pens for the delegate bags, there may be some extra material from Inclusion Conference last year for delegate bags, and it is recommended to contact Nestle for chocolate bar donations. As for the delegate manual, a word search has been made, the Public Relations require the Co-Premier welcoming letter, and pictures and questions from various cabinet members. Twitter posts will begin soon and cabinet members need to send in photos of partners together for “Meet Your Cabinet” on Twitter. Shanti Hot Yoga will be doing an engagement session at conference and the Public Relations will contact Moksha Yoga to do an engagement session as well.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s met up and came up with the theme for EPIC at conference, which will be “meme-themed.” Every station or activity will relate to a specific meme. The WENDY’s also went to Value Village looking for costumes but found them to be too expensive so cabinet members are required to bring in at least one costume for the WENDY’s to wear at conference if possible.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps held the School Rep Retreat on September 25, 2017, at Cole Harbour High and it went well. Some Junior Highs have been contacted, but presentations cannot occur until forms are out. Hannah H or Kailey will contact Graham Creighton Junior High for a presentation. Refer to the School Rep Retreat debrief for more information.

 

Welcoming Chair: The Welcoming Chair could not make fuzzies as she was away for the week but her mother made around 50 for her so the number of fuzzies made is nearly 200. There will be a cabinet get together to make fuzzies at Ciara’s house on, October 10, 2017, after dinner.

 

Secretary: The Secretary sent out the minutes, posted the minutes on the NSSSA website, and finalized the cabinet spirit wear order.

 

Co-Premiers: Both Co-Premiers had been away the past week and are a little bit behind on emails but are quickly catching up. They have heard back from Jessie Bowers to speak at conference and instead of paying her money, there will be some scholarships put in her name for students to attend conference. Cody will contact the Legion soon about coming to conference.

 

New Business:

 

School Rep Retreat Debrief: The retreat went well, though attendance was low with many last minute cancellations. The school reps that attended seemed as though they enjoyed it and learned good information. The Head School Reps sent out the information sheets and PowerPoint to those who could not attend; it was noted that the documents and PowerPoint were extremely clear and informative.

 

Skill Builders: It was inquired as to whether the due date for skill builder forms to be sent in could be pushed back, but due to the process of choosing skill builders and the retreat, the due date will have to stay as is. It is difficult to project numbers and figure out how many skill builders will be needed, but the estimate is around thirty. Out of cabinet, the Head School Reps, Welcoming Chair, and Secretary can all be skill builders at conference.

 

Conference T-Shirts: Cabinet looked over designs and will contact Alex LeBlanc about some changes to the t-shirt design. It was decided that the conference t-shirts will be royal/dark purple with white lettering.

 

International Students: International students may possibly be paid for by their schools to attend conference if they speak to their school ambassador.

 

Sponsorships: The delegate manual must be completed earlier than all donations must be acquired so it was suggested to have a large poster of all sponsors at the entrance of registration at conference. Another option is to have a slide show playing with the sponsors’ logos as students are walking into the opening ceremonies. The Public Relations thank all of the sponsors at the closing ceremonies regardless.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Claire motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:04, and Fortesa seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: There is to be no meeting on October 8, 2017 due to Thanksgiving. Positional check-ins will occur that week. Next meeting will occur on October 22, 2017, at MSVU in the Rosaria Building, in room 105.

 

 

Metro Meeting Minutes – September 24, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170924

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:00

Time of Adjournment: 19:44

Duration: Forty-four minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Claire Kleinknecht, Mary Stackaruk

Present Non-Voting Members: Jules Lawrence, Quinn MacIsaac

Regrets: Anna Gaudet

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: All registration forms are completed and are ready to be sent out.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: All skill building sessions are nearly completed, and the skill building co-chairs are going to meet to finalize the sessions and the guided meditation for the mental health session has been acquired. An advisor is needed for the Skill Building Retreat that will occur at Millwood High School, Cole Harbour High School, or Halifax West High School. The advisor must be a teacher from the school that the retreat will take place in. The retreat is looking to be on October 29, 2017, from 1:00pm – 5:00pm, so the location should be booked from 12:00pm – 6:00pm.

 

Public Relations: There has been communication between various universities and business about donations for conference. The Public Relations have sent out the questions for the “Meet Your Cabinet” section of the delegate manual to cabinet and were asked to have been sent back with responses and a picture by September 24, 2017. The delegate manual has been worked on a bit and the Public Relations have reused the NSSSA Encyclopaedia from last year’s manual. The manual will contain the Dyadic Encounters questions for the final skill building session, which either Mary or Claire will send along. Keynote speakers cannot be put into the delegate manual as the Co-Premiers are still waiting on responses. The speakers that Claire’s mother knows book up quickly so it is advised to contact them soon if they are wanted to speak at conference. A how-to that was suggested was a “Job Tips” how-to run by one of Claire’s mother’s connections. The Twitter “Meet Your Cabinet” segment is to begin soon, so pictures of cabinet should be done at the School Rep Retreat on September 25, 2017.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDYs have brainstormed ideas for EPIC but have no concrete plans as of yet – costumes are looking good for conference.

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps have been emailing principals and have planned out the School Rep Retreat, which will occur on September 25, 2017, at Cole Harbour High. Cabinet is expected to arrive at 6:00pm and should anticipate staying until 9:00pm. The sessions and which cabinet members that are going to run them are as follows: Advisors (Jules and Hannah H), Presentations (Kailey and Becca), Promotion (Robie, Annabelle, and Kat), Registration (Hannah J and Celia), and Fundraising (Alex and Cody). It is recommended that cabinet members wear any NSSSA clothing that they own to the retreat and the itinerary for the retreat will be sent out via email to all cabinet members.

 

Welcoming Chair: 30 fuzzies have been made in the past week, and the Welcoming Chair has received plenty of yarn donations for future fuzzy making.

 

Secretary: The minutes from last week’s meeting were sent out and posted on the website. The cabinet clothing order was finalized and sent to Steve for confirmation on payment. Once confirmed, clothing is estimated to be ready after two weeks or so.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have been working on getting the registration forms out for September 25, 2017. There has been correspondence with a keynote speaker on speaking at conference. Cody has received images from Alex LeBlanc for the conference t-shirt designs which are to be discussed with cabinet.

 

New Business:

 

Conference T-Shirt: Cabinet decided on which version of the available designs to get re-mastered for the final design. There was a vote on the NSSSA logo to appear underneath the fist in the design, which was chosen with some minor changes. There is a poll to go up regarding which colour the t-shirts should be for conference.

 

Forms: Forms are to be out by September 25, 2017. All of cabinet will know about forms going out and are to promote conference as much as possible. There will be a cabinet competition for bringing new people to conference where cabinet members must take photographic evidence of themselves handing registration forms to new N-Trippers. The winner will receive a gift card to a location of their choice provided by Jules.

 

International Students: A cabinet member was asked if there was a way that international students could attend conference for free. While that is not a possible option, international students can get sponsorships or scholarships to attend conference. At Foundations 2016, there were approximately 15 scholarships given out, most being half scholarships.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Fortesa motioned to adjourn the meeting at 19:44, and Claire seconded the motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, October 1, 2017, at MSVU in the Rosaria Building, Room 105.

 

 

Metro Meeting Minutes – September 17, 2017

NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170917

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:07

Time of Adjournment: 20:05

Duration: Fifty-eight minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Jules Lawrence, Quinn MacIsaac

Regrets: Becca MacAulay, Celia Briand

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-Tions are waiting for the Skill Building Retreat date and location to put on the registration form and will be working on the alumni and skill building forms this week. They are currently waiting to send out the delegate registration forms out soon, and all forms will be due on the 20 of October (with the final deadline being the 23 of October).

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The Skill Building Co – Chairs have found four out of the five needed senior skill builders for the Skill Builder Retreat. They are halfway finished the final skill building session and just need to find a read meditation for the Mental Health session.

 

Public Relations: Approximately a third of the companies in the database have been contacted for donations and have three how-to’s confirmed with one pending confirmation. The Public Relations have begun to think about what will be in the delegate manual and are reminded to use social media (ie. Twitter). An idea presented for posting on Twitter is “Get to know your Cabinet.” The Public Relations needs everyone on cabinet to send in a photo of themselves (or partners together) for the delegate manual and will send out questions for each cabinet member for the “Meet Your Cabinet” section of the delegate manual.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDYs have studied the cheer bible, received some costumes to wear at conference, and have sent the finalized Talent Show forms to the Co-Premiers.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps have sent the email to all school reps about the School Rep Retreat, which will be held on September 25 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm at Cole Harbour District High School. Cabinet should be at the location for 6:00pm and are expected to stay after for clean up. They have made the itinerary for the retreat and Claire will not be in attendance. Sessions at the retreat include registration, advisors, fundraising, presentations, and promotion. The 3-Tions will be doing check-in/registration at the beginning of the retreat; as Anna is a school rep, Hannah J will be doing registration. The points of contact within junior high schools to find advisors are guidance counsellors.

 

Welcoming Chair: Approximately one hundred fuzzies have been made and the Welcoming Chair has gotten lots of yarn from the public and friends. Ciara will post a notice on the Chebucto News Website looking for yarn, and is beginning to brainstorm for the Welcoming Video.

 

Secretary: The Secretary has sent out the minutes from last week’s meeting and posted them on the website. The final order for cabinet spirit wear will be going out on Friday (September 22, 2017). Cabinet alumni are to be contacted regarding their orders for spirit wear and to have paid Jules by Thursday.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have attended a PC meeting and Cody has attended a meeting with Dalhousie University for the Co-Premiers next year to potentially hold a conference at that location in the future. The Co-Premiers have began a budget, emailed speakers to present at conference, and have sent Alex LeBlanc sketches for the delegate and skill builder t-shirts at conference. The Co-Premiers have also emailed the principal at Millwood High School to be a possible location for the Skill Building retreat.

 

New Business:

 

Radio Advertisement: Kat has received information and quotes from Virgin Radio in regards to on-air advertisements. It is $45 for every thirty seconds on-air, and $69 for thirty seconds on-air on C100 Radio. The Public Relations will send emails to the Media Relations, Alex Leblanc about these prices and advertisements.

 

Welcoming Video: Welcoming video ideas should be thought about and is to be made within the next few weeks. Claire suggested making the video in the style of a vlog. Robie is asked to have a script ready and all cabinet members are asked to come to the next meeting at 6:30pm to film the video.

 

Final Thoughts:

 

Cabinet is told to let the Co-Advisors and Co-Premiers know if they hear of someone who would like to come to conference but cannot afford it.

 

Cabinet members are reminded to stay on task at meetings and keep chatting to a minimum.

 

Forms will be out this week so promotion of conference should begin as soon as possible.

 

Kat recommended that the NSSSA Instagram to be turned into a business account and will email Alex LeBlanc.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Ciara motioned to adjourn the meeting and Hannah J seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, September 24, 2017, at MSVU in the Rosaria Building, Room 105