NSSSA Minutes From:

Conference Committee Meeting

04222017

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria 404

Time of Commencement: 12:09 PM

Time of Adjournment: 1:59 PM

Duration of Meeting: 1 hour 50 minutes

Attendance and Regrets:

Present Voting Members – Abbey McClung, Fortesa Sahiti, Sam Silver, Nicholas Wells, Alex

LeBlanc, Aidan MacFarlane, Sara Murrin, Cameron Muise, Issac Hurshman, Kassandra

Kelbratowski

Present Non-Voting Members – Lorne Abramson, Chris Gordon, Peter Woo

Regrets – Donald Jewkes, Alex Hannam, Mullen Boulter, Rebecca MacKeen, Jenna Viscount,

Tiffany MacLennan, Jenna MacEachern, Tineke Weld

Positional Updates:

CC Advisor – Talked to some advisors.

Welcoming Co-Chairs – The Welcoming Co-Chairs are almost finished making the fuzzies.

They’re running out of yarn slowly but as of right now, Alex has about 200 fuzzies created. They

have finished and planned the welcoming activity which will be a photo scavenger hunt. The

Welcoming Co-Chairs have decided that for people who do not have a device to take pictures

with, that they will pair with someone who does. The Welcoming Co-Chairs need the following

items: keynote speaker profiles whenever we confirm the third speaker, itinerary messages, and

all sponsorships. The Welcoming Co-Chairs will get the photos and questions for the cabinet profiles from the select few on CC today. As well, Provincial Cabinet profiles have not been received. They also need the discussion topics for Dyadic Encounters from the Skillbuilding Co-Chairs. They are also working to finish up the delegate manual, and to draft a welcoming email and video.

WENDYs – The WENDYs have created a list of activities and things needed for the late nighter.

They are working with the Skillbuilding Co-Chairs to finish up the planning for EPIC. The theme

of EPIC will be Mountain Climbing since the logo for Reaching New Heights is of a man climbing

a mountain. Activities will be related to climbing mountains, hiking, etc. The WENDYs have

decided that each skillbuilding group will have a flag as well. The WENDYs are working to finish

up the playlist for the dance.

Public Relations – The Public Relations have contacted most of the people on their lists, but

there is still a few people who they need to get a hold of. They expressed their concern, that it is

seemingly difficult to get donations. Lorne suggested that any contact made between a business

and themselves should be face-to- face. He also suggested that the Public Relations should

know what they’re looking for when they are going into a business. Lorne said that places like

the MLA office, RBC, bank companies, any school boards, and Dollarama will have any

delegate bag stuffers we are looking for. Any cash donations we receive should go to the

Treasurers.

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs – The SB Co-Chairs called Chocolate Lake in Halifax to see whether

we can have the second skillbuilding retreat there. Chocolate Lake was unfortunately all booked

up. Fortesa mentioned that the committee could book L’Ecole Acadienne du Sommet, since the

Metro Regional Cabinet used the same school for their skillbuilding retreat. Aidan will look into

that. Saint Francis Xavier University is now booked for the first skillbuilding retreat on May 6,

2017 from 11AM – 5PM. Aidan mentioned that all committee members must be in attendance

for both days at the skillbuilding retreats. The SB Co-Chairs are done the skillbuilding manual

except for the conference itinerary that needs to be finalized. There is 25 potential skillbuilders

registered for conference thus far.

Head Logistics – The Head Logistics have received 17 applications from alumni.

CC Co-Chairs – The CC Co-Chairs expressed that online registration is going well thus far.

They are receiving a lot of emails regarding the payment process. The Co-Chairs have

confirmed various speakers for the conference. The StFX sponsored speaker is Dr. Beth

McCharles. The second speaker will be Lennett Anderson, a motivational speaker that spoke at

CSLC 2015. The third speaker is TBD. The Co-Chairs have contacted major universities about

donating, but they are waiting for responses at this time.

Provincial Advisor – Lorne expressed concerns about the promotion of the conference this

year as registration numbers are low at this time. He expressed that we still need to be

promoting and getting the word out. Lorne discussed the usual schools that sends students to

provincial conference, and key schools to target for promotion. This will be talked about more at

the Provincial Cabinet meeting. Lorne and Aidan also expressed that numbers for conference will for certain rise when the closing registrationdate approaches.

New Business:

Pre-Conference All Conference Committee members must arrange to arrive at conference on

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 until Monday, May 22, 2017. Lorne expressed that the Logistics team

should also arrive on Tuesday as well to help setup for conference, as that is their purpose.

Positional Tasks:

3-Tions – Keep on forwarding registration forms to appropriate CC members and update

database DAILY.

WENDYs – EPIC needs to be finalized. A list of what items are needed and what activities

they are for should be made.

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs – Help the WENDYs finalize EPIC. Choose Skillbuilders for conference and finalize SB manual.

Public Relations – Reach out to businesses in person. Contact the rest of the database.

Head Logistics – Pick out Logistics and draft Logistics email.

Welcoming Co-Chairs – Finalize all activities and finish up the delegate manual.

CC Co-Chairs – Find a venue for the 2nd day of the SB retreat. Find a third motivational speaker. Get registration numbers to StFX by May 6th .

Alex LeBlanc motions to adjourn the meeting. Sam Silver seconds the motion. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: TBD