Conference Committee Meeting

20180826

Location: Mount Saint Vincent University

Time of commencement: 14:09

Time of Adjournment: 15:54

Duration: One hour and forty-five minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Mary Stackaruk, Alex LeBlanc, Alex Torrealba, Youna McGowan, Brie MacPhee, Mathew MacEachern, Angus Kennedy, Ella Stacey, Emily Webb, Jasmine Metzler, Mitchell Aguinaga, Aidan Doucet,  Reya Hanspal

Present Non-Voting Members: Chris Gordon, Lorne Abramson

Regrets: Jack Clapperton, Wamfa Kumdoung

No-Shows: N/A

 

New Business:

Introductions: The committee introduced themselves by listing their name, grade, school, position on Conference Committee, and why they decided to join this committee. Then they played a game of Microphone Mic to learn each other’s names. The committee went over the 8 Key Concepts. Which are; positive internal focus, speaker in charge, speak for I, no killer statements, right to pass, no unfinished business, levelling out, business never personal.

Full Value Contract: This year Conference Committee will have a Full Value Contract. This is an item that will have the eight key concepts written on it, if anyone breaks a key concept during a meeting they must wear the item. Some ideas for the Full Value Contract were; mom visor, fedora, Peppa Pig costume, adult diaper, cape, hammer pants, shutter shades, big rubber boots, cowboy hat, propeller hat, tutu, inflatable life jacket, big life jacket, and a morphsuit. They will decide on an item at the next meeting.

Goals: One of the major goals for this committee is to follow through with fundraising to ensure more scholarships for the 2019 provincial conference. An idea is to potentially fundraise with the Strait Regional Cabinet as well as the Metro Regional Cabinet, as those are the locations of Conference Committee meetings. Lorne mentioned that past Conference Committees did not know how to properly determine who receives the scholarships. He suggested that fundraising would add a lot more work on the committee and that it may be a good idea to encourage schools to do their own fundraising. The committee discussed possibly having scholarships going directly through the schools. Lorne brought forward the idea of having schools send Conference Committee a number of students going to conference who are in financial need of a scholarship. This would have to be done without sending the names of the students due to confidentiality. Chris suggested that schools should nominate students for the scholarships as they can attest to said students financial need. Lorne advised that they do no provide full scholarships since there have been negative experiences with students receiving full scholarships in the past. Angus feels that scholarships should focus on regions that sends less students to the provincial conference as that could potentially increase attendees from said region. Mitchell suggested a pool of money with compensation forms that advisors would give to students interested who actually need the money. The amount of money the student receives would be dependant on how many people apply and the student would have to pay the full payment then they would be reimbursed. Alex was concerned that hypothetically if the committee received fifty applicants and have $500 in the pool each student would only receive 10$ back, which may not help the student. Lorne said that if the students are nominated by an advisor, then a student who would not apply solely because of the cost would potentially apply. Lorne suggested that committee plans a fundraiser that students could participate in, that way they are raising their own money. We discussed some eucalyptus fundraisers that other organizations use such as a ticket sale lottery and Krispy Kreme.  The committee could present fundraising opportunities to the schools. The committee informally decided that they wanted to fundraise, but the Co-Chairs will have to bring it to Provincial Cabinet. In the past there was a notice to parents/guardians asking if they know anyone who cannot afford conference and if they would like to donate to them. That is something that could be put on the registration form. The Cape Breton-Victoria Regional Cabinet used to go to corner stores asking if they would like to sponsor a student to attend their regional conference. They will continue the discussion at the next meeting.

Timelines: A timeline is a list of positional tasks as well as the date they are suggested to be finished by. The Co-Chairs’ goal is to have it completed and sent out by next weekend.

Gmail: Everyone on cabinet needs to have a gmail account because of the resources and to maintain consistency. Also, everyone on cabinet should have an email signature, it is important to make sure that the signature is up to date.

Being a member of Conference Committee: Members of the Nova Scotia Secondary School Students’ Association are leaders and should portray themselves as such. They need represent the organization well in addition to representing what it stands for. It is important that when Conference Committee members use social media they are professional and cautious as someone is always watching. One inappropriate post could have negative effects on the organization. Members should not post anything breaking the “Three D’s”. These are; no drinking, no drugs, and no doing it. It is important that members of Conference Committee are positive role models.

NSSSA News: Soon anyone will be able to attend any regional conference across Nova Scotia. There will be a Provincial Cabinet discussion about how many people can attend each conference. They are figuring out the logistics and will have more updates soon.

Website: Provincial Cabinet wants to put a cabinet picture on the website for each cabinet/committee. A picture will be taken at a later meeting.

Potential Keynote: Mary and Alex heard Drew Dudley’s Ted Talk at the PC retreat. They were impressed by his speech. They will put his video in the google classroom for committee to review. Chris mentioned that Dudley can be expensive but the Co-Chairs will look into the costs. Dudley has delivered a keynote speech at a NSSSA conference in the past. Mary and Alex asked committee to reflect on anyone they know who would be engaging and interactive as a keynote speaker.

Conference: Mary and Alex will be meeting with Saint Francis Xavier University to discuss last year’s conference as well as changes that could be made for this upcoming year. One thing they want to look over is the schedule. They will look into seeing if the main gym will be available.

Group Chat: Conference Committee will have a group chat for quick communication. This means no big questions or conversations that should be had at a meeting. The group chat will be for simple things such as “I’m running late” or a location reminder. Google Classroom is for reminders.

Future Meeting Dates: There will be one meeting a month for now. Closer to conference there may be more than one a month. The next meeting is Sunday September 30, at 10:00. That meeting will be held at Saint Francis Xavier University. The following meeting will be Sunday October 28, at 10:00. This meeting is located at Mount Saint Vincent University. The November meeting will be held Saturday November 24, at Saint Francis Xavier University. The meeting that follows will be held Sunday December 16, at Mount Saint Vincent University.

Conference Names/Themes: The theme of conference should have nothing to do with height as that has been the provincial conference theme for the past few years. The committee should consider what happens after someone has risen up. Angus suggested the names Levelling Out and Horizon. Alex mentioned having something related to fire as the theme. Mary and Alex’s ideas were Limitless, Infinite, and Above and Beyond. The theme of “Limitless” would be that success can always grow. Chris informed them that Beyond was the name of a 2010 conference. Committee must decide whether or not they would like the name to be an acronym. The Co-Chairs asked that committee think of logos and names and bring their ideas to the next meeting.

Cabinet and Spirit Wear: Some ideas for cabinet wear are; crests, tear off pants, socks, cardigan, hoodies, crewneck, bucket hats, slides, and Jibitz. Ideas for spirit wear are: popsockets, frisbees, and buttons. This discussion will continue at the next meeting. In the meantime members are asked to think about what they want and bring their ideas to the next meeting.

Homework: Chris suggested that committee reflects on conferences in the past, what they want for this year’s conference, and their positional goals. Everyone should complete their first impressions cards for the next meeting. First Impressions is an activity done at the provincial conference where everyone writes individual first and last impressions of everyone in the group. Committee members only have to write first impressions for now.

Motion of Adjournment: Kailey motioned to adjourn the meeting, Aidan seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday September 30, 2018 at 10:00. It will be located at Saint Francis Xavier University.