Conference Committee Meeting
20190224
Time of commencement: 10:03
Time of Adjournment: 11:18
Duration: One hour and fifteen minutes
Attendance:
Present Voting Members: Mary Stackaruk, Alex LeBlanc, Alex Torrealba, Angus Kennedy, Emily Webb, Jasmine Metzler, Aidan Doucet, Youna McGowan, Ella Stacey, Mitchell Aguinaga, Kailey Webber, Mathew MacEachern, Wamfa Kumdoung, Jack Clapperton, Brie MacPhee
Present Non-Voting Members: Chris Gordon, Lorne Abramson
Regrets: Reya Hanspal
Positional Updates:
Secretary: She posted the minutes from the last meeting to the website. She will email Steve, from First Choice Sportswear, regarding the price to order both the delegate shirts and the committee shirts in one order.
Public Relations: Jasmine went through the database of all of the people who held booths at the opportunity fair last year, no one has yet to respond, in the upcoming weeks she will try to contact them again. Donations are very important, all the Public Relations should stay on top of getting donations. Rebecca has been contacting universities about conference, and has yet to receive responses, so the Public Relations should start trying to contact universities. Mary suggests they reach out to last years Public Relations or the Co-Chairs for help.
Skillbuilding Co-Chairs: They have five skillbuilding sessions completed and they have three that are half complete. The last session, “Dyadic Encounters”, should be similar to past year’s. All of the chicken noodle soup sessions should be done as soon as possible, likely before the next meeting. The Skillbuilding Co-Chairs should start contacting alumni to be “Senior Skillbuilders” at the skillbuilding retreats. Also, they should draft the emails to send to successful skillbuilding applicants and the one for those they decline.
3-Tions: They finished the registration forms as well as the database of the Conference Committee members. Once forms are completed, they need to begin transferring the registrants information to the database.
Welcoming Co-Chair: They have completed just under 300 fuzzies and have started working on the delegate manual. They are missing a few responses from committee members and provincial cabinet members regarding the questions for the delegate manual. Ella started creating drafts for the welcoming email. The welcoming night activity will be a mix of a few activities; like kahoot, and a video game. They are thinking of putting big paper over tables for a colouring activity, similar to at last years’ inclusion conference. Lorne mentioned that the Chronicle Herald gives away the ends of their paper rolls. They should continue to work on completing the delegate manual, the welcoming activity, and fuzzies.
Wendy: Mitchell and Alex T. are confident with all the cheers. Alex L. will be the DJ at the dance, and the theme will be “Dystopian Future.” Mitchell asked for anyone to donate any costumes they have. Their idea for “Epic” is the olympics but they do not have concrete game ideas. The Wendys should be working with the Skillbuilding Co-Chairs to create “Epic.” The Wendys are in charge of planning the late-nighter.
Co-Premier: They had a successful meeting with St. Francis Xavier University. Conference Committee will not start working on the promotional video for the Ancillary Services until the days prior to conference. They were able to confirm 10 minutes of transition time between each activity. There will be campus tours available for advisors and delegates that arrive too early. They have been working on registration, and as soon as the website is set up, registration will be open. The delegate manual will be printed in late April.
New Business:
Promotion: As soon as registration is available, everyone needs to promote as often as possible. In order to post on the official NSSSA social media accounts, the Public Relations have to contact the Media Relations directly. Alex L made different posters to fit various forms of social media and will send them to the committee as soon as possible. Alex has the Provincial NSSSA twitter password, and he will send it to the Public Relations. Lorne suggests having a discussion with principals about the organisation prior to promoting the conference to create a view of professionalism from a student-run organisation. Lorne suggested that the Public Relations look for volunteer coordinators within non-profit organisations for donations.
Late Nighter: The late-nighter is held after the dance and usually lasts until 2 in the morning. It is a time to do some chill activities, but some people become bored after a while. The ideas for activities discussed were; Quelf, Card Games, Crib, Trivial Pursuit, Quiplash, Checkers, Twister, bracelet making, a projector, two XBoxes with a bunch of games, one wii, one nintendo switch, one Wii U, catan, playing a movie on the big projector instead of karaoke. Snack ideas were also discussed like; a popcorn machine, and a cotton candy machine. Chris suggested asking St. FX to change the snack item after the dance instead of the yogurt. Committee members are asked to bring any of the non-food related items we discussed to conference, should they have them at home. The Co-Chairs will ask about the food machines.
Bonding Time: After the next meeting, the committee will have a fuzzy making session to help out the Welcoming Co-Chairs. The Co-Chairs asked that committee members bring their own yarn.
Loop: It is important to not only communicate with their partners, but it is also important to keep the co-chairs in the loop regarding what’s going on. Always update the co-chairs. They will be making group chats with each position.
Retreat Dates: The next Conference Committee meeting will be held on Saturday March 30. The meeting scheduled for April 13 has been cancelled due to university exams. The following Conference Committee meeting will be held April 28.
Prep Rally: On Friday March 8th, the Metro Regional Cabinet will be hosting a Prep Rally. All Conference Committee members are welcome to attend.
Motion of Adjournment: Alex motioned to adjourn the meeting, Mitchell seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.
Date of the Next Meeting: The next Conference Committee meeting will be held Saturday, March 30 at Saint Francis Xavier University.