NSSSA Minutes From:

Conference Committee Meeting

20180506

 

Location:Mount St. Vincent University, Evaristus Hall, Room 102

Time of Commencement:10:11

Time of Adjournment: 12:20

Duration: Two hours and nine minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Katelyn Libbus, Celia Briand, Logan Fox, Claire Kleinknecht, Mackenzie Casey, Aidan Doucet, Fortesa Sahiti, Anna Gaudet, Rebecca MacKeen, Kat Pindera, Sam Silver, Mary Stackaruk

Present Non-Voting Members: Lorne Abramson, Kassandra Kelbratowski

Regrets: Patrick Wallace, Madison Harpell, Michael MacDonald, Brennan Marks

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-tions have been entering information into the database and updating missing/wrong information as it comes in. As discussed, some of the requests for a delegate assistant are a mistake as it may have been confusing with online registration. Abe talked about finances with the 3-tions. Relating to one attendee with specific diet restrictions, while StFX sees the database and do what they can to accommodate various diets, sometimes it may not work. If she is extremely concerned, she may contact StFX herself.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The first Skill Building Retreat was completed in Antigonish with the second one occurring after the meeting in Halifax. Skill building pairs have been picked and all materials needed have been figured out; an email will be sent out regarding which materials committee members must bring as well.

 

Public Relations: 18 organizations are attending the Opportunities Fair as of right now and Madison is waiting to hear back from Acadia as they have been invited as well. There have been sponsorships made from Mount Allison, St. Thomas, and UNB. A cheque is being waited on from Taking it Global as the NSSSA has received at grant at the value of $1500. As for the delegate bags, there are pins, UNB wanted to send pens, Mount Allison is sending a view book, and StFX will be putting water bottles and a view book in as well. The Public Relations are continuing to work on getting donations for the delegate bags.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s completed planning EPIC, which will be a picture challenge with different difficulty levels of pictures and will be judged based on quality, creativity, and group involvement.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: The delegate manual is almost completed with only the ad page to be put in before printing. Fuzzies are almost completed as well and are approximately 250 plus 18 more that Mary will give the co-chairs. A Kahoot! Game was made for opening night, as well the Mostest will be played with a few backup games; every time there is a bed run, there will be a dance party. Logan’s speaker that he was going to borrow from his school for the opening activity needs to be plugged in, so the idea to work around that was to acquire many extension cords and plug it into Riley Hall.

 

Secretary: The minutes from the last meeting were sent out and posted on the website and the sweaters were brought in to give to those who have not received their Conference Committee sweater.

 

Co-Chairs: Registration was fixed online, extended, closed, numbers have been finalized, and the Co-Chairs have been working with Abe and the 3-tions to finish up the database. The PRs have been working with the Co-Chairs and have contacted universities. Check-ins were also held for finalization of tasks with the committee. Katelyn and Paddy did different interviews on the radio, phone, and for the newspaper for promotion and have booked different items such as radios, the DJ, StFX food, rooming lists, and more. The Co-Chairs have held some meetings with StFX and have more soon as well positional itineraries for conference have been completed.

 

Provincial Advisor: Abe gave out different pieces of advice to committee members for during conference. One is to remember not to get cliquey during conference and to take care of themselves and each other, as they have to stay in a good frame of mind all through conference time. He reminded committee members that they are known and will be looked up to, as people will have large expectations of them and to act accordingly. As well, there will be a significant number of grade 9s and 10s and committee members should work to get to know at least one person and get into conversations with new people at conference, especially at meal times in order to make sure that the newer delegates feel welcome and not overwhelmed. The last piece of advice was for committee members to be aware of what they are saying, even in their group, as some points could be misinterpreted and to thank every StFX staff member that they see all throughout conference.

 

Logistics: The entire logistics team has been approved.

 

New Business:

 

Numbers: This year the number for conference has been larger than it has been in a couple of years, with 45 advisors and around 255 delegates attending. The ideal range for attendance for conference is approximately 350-400 attendees in total.

 

PC Update: At the Provincial Cabinet meeting, there was a discussion as to whether or not it would be a good idea to get rid of regional conferences, and the conclusion came out that those from different regions can attend another region’s conference. The Head School Rep coordinator is now an official position on PC. This year is the first year that PC members outside of Conference Committee have had to pay to attend the Provincial Conference, and all members of Provincial Cabinet are going to be attending the Provincial Conference.

 

Pre-Conference: All committee members should arrive at StFX on Tuesday, May 15 around 5:30pm and dinner will be at 6:00pm. Members are advised to bring everything that they could need, including fancy/business casual clothing for the dinner with StFX heads and fun games, and to “over pack.” Pre-conference will be set-up and committee bonding.

 

Miscellaneous: If anyone absolutely needs to access the database they should ask Abe. Abe advised to print off around 450 delegate manuals in order to have enough to send off to universities.

 

Positional Tasks:

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs: Finish up fuzzies, complete welcoming email, and fix the spelling errors in the Kahoot!.

 

WENDYs: Complete late nighter plan and figure out how to acquire a Wii/Xbox to bring and practice cheers and acquire all costumes needed.

 

3-tions: Stay on the database to finish it up and fix any mistakes in information, stay in touch with Abe, receive cheques for Opportunities Fair.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: Mention to skill builders to bring touchstones, get everyone’s Kik to make a skill builder group chat, send Skill Building Manual to advisors and then print off more to have at conference, stay in touch with skill builders, collect all needed materials.

 

Public Relations: Try to get more items for the delegate bags, make sure the sponsor database is updated, and ensure that the Opportunities Fair is organized.

 

Secretary: Send out minutes.

 

Co-Chairs: Get ready to respond to crisis’ that may occur, write up speeches, and try to relax before conference.

 

Adjournment:Claire motioned to adjourn the meeting at 12:20 and Anna seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.