Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20180826

Location: Mount Saint Vincent University

Time of commencement: 19:11

Time of Adjournment: 20:26

Duration: One hour and fifteen minutes

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Katie Bates, Becca MacAulay, Brooke Betyna, Youna McGowan, Jasmine Metzler, Alex Torrealba, DJ Shuman, Kailey Webber, Emily Webb, Ella Stacey, Julia Gonzales, Mitchell Aguinaga, Bleona Sahiti, Matthew Boutilier, Cameron Fiander, Isabelle Parmiter

Present Non-Voting Members: Qendresa Sahiti

Regrets: Anna Campbell, Fortesa Sahiti, Katherine Pindera, Emily Robichaud, Renee McLeod

New Business:

Introductions: Cabinet reintroduced themselves.

Emails: Cabinet members will receive a lot of emails. Therefore, it is really important to respond to emails to ensure the best communication. They are encouraged to check their emails everyday and always reply within 24 hours. If a member cannot attend a meeting, they must send an email the co-premiers and secretary no later than 24 hours prior to the meeting.

Turnovers: Becca handed out paper copies of each position’s turnover package. She gave everyone a few minutes to look it over but all members are encouraged to take time at home to read their entire turnover.

Timelines: Cabinet members will receive their timelines by the end of the week. This will provide them with a list of positional tasks and dates that those tasks must be completed by.

Meet with Partners: Cabinet members were given five minutes to break off with their positional partners to discuss their goals for the week.

Goals:

Secretary: The secretary will type the minutes during the meeting. Then she will email them to cabinet within 24 hours of the meeting. Then she will post the minutes to the website.

Public Relations: Alex T contacted the Metro Public Relations from last year. Their goal is to divide up their contacts evenly. Regional Cabinet Public Relations are no longer allowed to contact universities for monetary donations.

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs: Emily will start brainstorming activities for the skillbuilding sessions as well as start a list of supplies.

Head School Representatives: They will start dividing up schools and start thinking about the retreat.

3-Tions: They will make a schedule for who will check the mailbox and when. They also hope to get started on the database

Welcoming Co-Chair: They will start searching for yarn donations. They will also start trying some samples of the welcoming email.

Wendy: Mitchell and Renee are going to plan epic and find costume donations.

Co-Premier: Katie and Becca will finish the timelines as well as send out the corporate package.

Conference: A date for conference has been selected. The 2018 Metro Regional Conference will be held the weekend of November 10-11. Conference will be located at Mount Saint Vincent University. Cabinet will come the evening of November 9 to prepare for conference but will not stay the night.

Grade 9 Conference: Cabinet discussed the possibility to having a grade nine conference in October. Having it in October would be a good test run before the regional conference but would be too rushed and may be overwhelming for cabinet. Cameron mentioned that having a grade nine conference after the metro regional conference could allow for a better turnout. Also having it in February or March would be a good time to push promotion for the provincial conference as well as the inclusion conference. Katie mentioned that metro attendees have been declining and last year, at Breakthrough 2017, students in grade nine made up 20% of the conference attendees. If a grade nine conference was held, there is a risk of numbers declining. Other regions hold Junior Conferences. Katie asked if now that grade 8s are highest before high school should they be our demographic. But, there is a concern with maturity. Cameron said that a grade eight and nine conference could make sense because of the new people going into high school. Should cabinet decide to hold a grade nine conference, they must determine whether or not grade nines should go guacamole to the metro regional conference. Julia went to Breakthrough 2017 while she was in grade nine and she really enjoyed it. She doesn’t feel that a junior conference is necessary. At the Provincial Cabinet retreat it was mentioned that holding a junior conference is a great ways to get to know your new generation. Katie suggested a grade nine event, this would be only a few hours and be a good way to introduce incoming high school students to the organization. There is concern with whether or not grade nine students would actually come to an event like that. Last year Metro had discussed a prep rally before the provincial conference. This could be something to keep in mind. Ella suggested if grade nines can go to both grade nine conference and the metro regional conference, then grade nine conference could be centered around high school life. But, it was mentioned that the theme of high school is not really the brand of the Nova Scotia Secondary School Students’ Association. Becca mentioned that grade nines attending the metro regional conference would be something beneficial to continue. Also, having two conference with grade nines would add more work for the cabinet.

Motion One:

Katie motioned that we hold a grade nine conference. Mitchell seconded said motion.

No discussion was held.

Nobody voted for the motion, one person abstained from voting, and all remaining voting members voted against the motion.

Motion did not pass. Therefore, there will be no grade nine conference this year held by the Metro Regional Cabinet.

Motion Two:

Matthew motioned that students in grade nine should attend the metro regional conference. Ella seconded said motion.

Ella asked if they would the students in grade nine will be integrated with the older students at conference. The answer was yes.

All voting members voted yes. Motion passed. Students in grade nine will be able to attend this year’s metro regional conference.

Names: Cabinet discussed ideas for the name of their regional conference. The names mentioned were; passthrough, pathway, step up, level up, and growth. Cabinet should come to next week’s meeting with a few conference names or themes.

Spirit Wear: All spirit wear orders for the Nova Scotia Secondary School Students’ Association must go through Steve at First Choice Sportswear. At the PC Retreat they mentioned that the Strait Regional Cabinet is doing a bucket hat order so the Metro Regional Cabinet could potentially order with their order. Becca will ask whether or not nicknames can be put on the hats. At the next meeting there will be a discussion about spirit wear.

Motion of Adjournment: Matthew motioned to adjourn the meeting, Isabelle seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

Date of the Next Meeting: Sunday September 2, 2018.