NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170827

 

Location: MacPhee Centre, Downtown Dartmouth

Time of Commencement: 19:01

Time of Adjournment: 20:41

Duration: One hour and forty minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Qendresa Sahiti

Regrets: Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Julia Lawrence

No-Shows: N/A

 

New Business:

 

The meeting began with the second round of introductions where each cabinet member listed their name, school, grade, and position on cabinet. Quorum is good, and therefore motions may be passed.

 

Advisors:

 

The Co-Advisors for the Metro Regional Cabinet for the year are Quinn MacIsaac and Julia Lawrence. Advisors are available to offer advice and help throughout the year in regards to each position, as well as bring different perspectives and outlooks.

 

Advisor Guidelines and Tips: Being on cabinet comes with responsibility and each member must be able to commit to being on cabinet and completing tasks given, while members should also feel comfortable to omit something because it is important to note that physical and mental health comes first. Communication between members, advisors, and Co – Premiers is vital in this aspect. Members must commit to communicate and connect in partner roles and keep all logs of communication within and outside of cabinet if it pertains to the NSSSA.

 

8 Key Concepts: The 8 Key Concepts will be followed and practiced whenever cabinet gets together. The 8 Key Concepts are as follows: speaker in charge, no unfinished business, no killer statements, business never personal, leveling out, right to pass, having a safe space, and positive internal focus.

 

Meeting Etiquette: All members of cabinet should come to meetings well rested, and there are to be no caffeinated drinks (example: coffee) at meetings. If someone has to leave a meeting early or arrive late, valid reasons to do so must be clearly communicated with the Co – Premiers. During meetings, everyone must remain responsible and respectful throughout.

 

Social Media Etiquette: Members must be mindful of what they post and conduct themselves professionally as they now represent the NSSSA on social media.

 

Emails: Cabinet members are encouraged to turn notifications on for emails, and replying and checking emails constantly is key.

 

(Positional) Goals and Ideas:

 

Anna and Kat: The previously mentioned ideas at the Training Retreat for EPIC are good ideas to be put into place.

 

Becca and Kailey: In regards to being Head School Reps, checking with advisors is a hard task to do alone so equally delegating tasks should be more prepared before conference.

 

Hannah J and Celia: Registration is to be made easier and more organized at conference. Fortesa pointed out that registration will be more spread out because there will not be an event occupying the space on the second floor where registration has been in the past years.

 

Claire and Mary: Getting into schools via videos and posters to promote conference and scholarships to attend conference is vital.

 

Robie: Hopes to have more promotion with Grade 9s and would like to film an informational video for conference.

 

Qendresa: Would like to have better organization with the First Aid Kit, and possibly get items donated for the First Aid Kit.

 

Alex and Fortesa: Wants to use new cheers for conference and to do a run through of EPIC before conference to make sure it will run smoothly.

 

Quinn: Would like to work on a more individual level with each position on cabinet.

 

Julia: Wants to branch out to extend and welcome conference to individuals who would not normally attend.

 

Cody: Hopes to see an increase in numbers at conference and more promotion via the Head School Reps and the Public Relations.

 

Hannah H: Would like to see cabinet members taking charge within their respective schools in regard to promotion if there seems to not be promotion of conference within schools.

 

 

Conferences:

 

Regional Conference: Though the Co – Premiers have not yet signed a contract with MSVU, the (prospective) dates of conference will be October 28th and 29th, 2017. The date in which all forms must be in is October 6th, 2017. Conference will be open to students in Grades 9 – 12, and it is not feasible to have a junior conference before the regional conference, though there is the possibility of having a junior conference in the spring. Another option is to have two regional conferences. Decisions in relation to Grade 9s are difficult in Metro because there is a 50/50 split for high schools in the region that have Grade 9s and those that do not.

 

Junior Conference: Junior conference, if there were to be one, would be open solely to Grade 9s. Bringing Grade 7s and 8s would be difficult due to the growing stages during Junior High, maturity is varied, and the NSSSA is an organization for high school students. It is imperative that the Junior Conference would not feel like a downgrade from the Regional Conference, and could be set as an introduction to high school more so than the “usual” NSSSA conference. Having a one-day Junior Conference cuts down on costs as opposed to having another Regional Conference or an overnight Junior Conference.

 

School Presentations: Presentations about conference are an effort all of cabinet must come together on for the schools. If a cabinet member attends a high school that does not include Grade 9s, it is easy to go back to their previous Junior High they attended to do a presentation, rather than get a School Rep to do so. There will be a database made by the Head School Reps including information on all high schools and junior high schools in the Metro Region for presentations. Becca and Kailey will organize who will do presentations and delegate tasks for next meeting.

 

Conference Name: Members of cabinet are tasked with brainstorming names for conference before the next meeting. An acronym is optional, and it may be easier to come up with a conference theme before deciding on a name.

 

Retreat Dates: The Skillbuilding Retreat will occur on October 15th and will last for approximately 5 hours long. This gives skill builders more time to organize with partners if one could not attend and meet up potentially. Mary and Claire will find a location for the retreat. Notice of the retreat must be given long before it occurs so those who are attending may free their calendar. The School Rep retreat will occur on an evening during the week of September 11th – 16th. School reps could be Presidents, and NSSSA cabinet member, or voted on by council. Cabinet members would lead groups and stations and each station would be based on different topics; this atmosphere provides more comfort and makes the groups more engaging.

 

Speakers: Claire’s mother is part of a women’s group that can get recommendations and may know some good speakers. There was also a man who spoke at Provincial Conference who lives in Hammonds Plains who Claire has a connection in which she may contact him. Anna knows a woman (Jessie) who spoke during HWHS Mental Health Week who she may contact. It is important to try to connect the speaker to the name and theme of the conference. It was discussed to reduce the number of speakers from three to either one or two in order to avoid the feeling of being rushed, as well as placing the keynote speakers at separate times within the itinerary.

 

Walkie-Talkies: In past years, cabinet would rent headsets and not everyone on cabinet would get one. Walkie-talkie apps are available but seem to only cover a small area. Claire has a family friend who is the CEO of Bell Canada who she may be able to talk to about getting walkie-talkies or headsets, or Quinn may be able to borrow walkies from the Oval. It was discussed to potentially buy walkies from Amazon and pass them on to cabinet in years to come if they are cheaper than renting.

 

Spirit wear: Spirit wear discussed to order were crewnecks, quarter zips, bucket hats, t-shirts, long sleeved baseball tees, or fanny packs. It was decided that a sweater and a t-shirt would be the safest bet to order at the current moment. It was important to note that clothing would be used to be recognized as a cabinet member at conference. Fortesa motioned to get t-shirts and Claire seconded said motion. Claire then motioned to get a red, Metro What t-shirt with positions on the back with white lettering, and the motion passed unanimously. If members of cabinet would like to buy more spirit wear, there was the potential option of joining other cabinet’s orders in order to make it cheaper to buy.

 

Final Business:

 

Cabinet members were reminded to add Hannah H on Facebook in order to be added to the Metro Cabinet Facebook group.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Becca MacAulay motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:41, and Celia Briand seconded said motion.

 

Date of Next Meeting: September 3rd, 2017 (location TBD) at 7:00pm