NSSSA Minutes from:
Metro RC Meeting
Location of Meeting: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building Room 404.
Time of Commencement: 19:05
Time of Adjournment: 20:17
Duration: One hour and twelve minutes.
Present voting members: Nicholas Wells, Taryn Hanranm, Samantha Delaney, Vibha Rakshita, Fortesa Sahiti, Joy Hannam, Ciara Harris, Brooke Kattenbusch, Gabrielle Torrealba, Kaleigh McLeod, Julia Mcintosh, Tyson Bears, Carly Dunn, Armaan Dhillon, Becca MacAulay, Celia Briand, Jillian Ryan.
Present non-voting members: Jeremy Scallion.
Regrets: Saisha Rankaduwa.
No Shows: Abbie Cull.
Grade Nine Conference: There are three possible dates for the Grade Nine Conference, pending Mount St. Vincent University’s availability. If the Grade Nine Conference were to happen it would have to take place after the Inclusion Conference and the registration deadline for the Provincial Conference. There is not enough time remaining in the year for the Metro Cabinet to plan both a Prep Rally and a Grade Nine Conference, therefore, a decision has to be made between one or the other.
- There would be a conference for grade nine students specifically.
- There are two months of time left to plan the conference.
- Attending a conference is a learning experience for the grade nines.
- There is the potential to host the conference from 9am-5pm, which would ease expenses.
- It may be more difficult than usual to find teacher advisors for a conference.
- We do not want to discourage advisors from helping in the future by asking too much from them to soon.
- The attendance and profit for the conference would be affected from being so close to the Inclusion Conference and the Provincial Conference.
- There may be financial issues for the delegates in regards to affording three conferences in such a short period of time.
Alternatives to Grade Nine Conference: In place of hosting a Grade Nine Conference this year the Metro Regional Cabinet could alternatively plan a smaller event for the grade nines such as a Prep Rally to promote provincial conference and opportunities to be involved with NSSSA in the future to them. An idea raised to keep expenses low was having the event as a “bring your own lunch” event, and having the Metro Cabinet provide snacks. The members of the Metro Cabinet would also like to emphasize in their promotion that grade nines are able to attend the Provincial Conference.
Prep Rally: The Prep Rally will potentially be composed of tie-dye stations, snacks such as popcorn, snow cones, and cotton candy, activities including “Mostest”, a flash mob dance for the Provincial Conference, “Big Fish Little Fish”, an informative NSSSA skit, a review of the 8 Key Concepts and the three D’s, among other things. The Metro Cabinet voted and decided that Citadel would be the best option for the Prep Rally because of the large open space available, and the central location. If this event was to be hosted in April it would be for promotion of the Provincial Conference, in May the focus would be on getting delegates excited for the Provincial Conference. May 11th was decided upon as the tentative date for the Prep Rally.
Ciara Harris motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:17 and Jillian Ryan seconded said motion.