NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170910

 

Location: Mount St. Vincent University, Rosaria Building, Room 105

Time of Commencement: 19:03

Time of Adjournment: 20:44

Duration: One hour and forty-one minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Kat Pindera, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk, Claire Kleinknecht

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Julia Lawrence,

Regrets: N/A

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: The 3-Tions have finished the confirmation email, delegate registration form, skill builder form, and just need to change the dates on the forms. Hannah J sent out the email regarding the cabinet database, which will now be used only on Excel, and would like for all future databases for Metro to be switched over to Excel due to reliability and continuity. Any questions or concerns about the database can be sent to either Hannah J or Anna. The alumni database is nearly complete; head chaperone, first aid, and logistics templates are needed for registration forms. For the skill builder and school rep retreat, at least one 3-Tion should be in attendance to register at the beginning.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The Skill Building Co-Chairs have completed the first two skill building sessions, which are the introduction session and communication session. Skill building sessions three and four are nearly completed, with the mental health session being the toughest to complete; if anyone has any tips for that session contact Claire and Mary. It is recommended that there be a discussion or section regarding marginalized groups within a session. The Skill Building Co-Chairs are looking for a visualized story, which is read at the end of the sessions, as well as senior skill builders, which are alumni, to go to the skill builder retreat. Hannah J is to send the Skill Building Co-Chairs the database of seniors who were skill builders at last year’s conference. The congratulations and rejection emails are complete, as well as the skill building application questions for the registration form.

 

Public Relations: The PRs met and split up the database of businesses to contact, but have not quite started contacting many businesses yet on donations, and have been informed that the corporate package is only to be sent to businesses once they have gotten back to the Public Relations noting that the business is interested in donating to conference. The PRs have begun to contact people for how-to’s during conference such as Oliver Oldfield to do a session on improv, and are thinking of contacting Liam Jordan and Will Harrington to do a session on photography, Kat’s sailing coach to do a session on living an environmentally friendly lifestyle, and Kenzi Donnelly who let Students for Teachers last winter. Fortesa will do a session on how-to-makeup, Hannah H will contact the heads of AubCon, and Quinn can get the PRs in touch with the alumni organization in order to ask NSSSA alumni to potentially come to conference to do a how-to session. There will be about twenty how-to’s; ten active, and ten informative. It is imperative that PRs try to keep in mind what conference is about and to try to find some people to discuss topics relating back to being socially aware, education on important topics, and Remembrance Day. The physical delegate bags will be provided by MSVU.

 

A possible keynote speaker for conference is Annabelle’s father’s friend, Luke MacDonald, who owns the Running Room. He has started initiatives in Halifax such as the Youth Running Club, and a program to get good quality shoes for those who need them.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDYs have contacted four previous WENDYs for costumes and will go to value village to get some more. They have also come up with some ideas for costumes at conference, such as “the Emmy’s” for the opening of the Talent Show, onesies, Shrek and Fiona, food, each other, and swimsuits with floaties. A suggestion for was that the WENDYs could wear costumes all day at conference. They have studied the cheer bible, sent the Co-Premiers the updated Talent Show form, and will work on a playlist for conference.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps have written up a draft email to send to school principals, which needs to be read over by the Co-Premiers, and have written a draft email for the School Reps about the logistics of the retreat, which the HSR are currently trying to find a location for. All of cabinet is to go to the School Rep Retreat like last year and be the heads of various stations to talk about the different roles of being a school rep. The retreat will run from 6:30pm – 8:30pm for the school reps, but cabinet will be at the location from 6:00pm – 9:00pm on September 25th.

 

Welcoming Chair: The Welcoming Chair has been asking those she knows for yarn donations and will move on to ask other places for donations as well. There are only 20 fuzzies made at the current moment, but more will be made throughout the week. It was suggested to post on buy-and-sell groups asking for yarn donations, and an idea was to partner with a nursing home and hold a fuzzy-making workshop or volunteer for yarn donation. Any help with getting yarn is appreciated.

 

Secretary: The Secretary sent out the minutes from last week’s meeting and has them posted on the website. As for ordering cabinet spirit wear, nothing can be done at current because cabinet has not decided anything official yet.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have called MSVU and arranged for the change in date for conference. All cabinet meetings (until December 17, 2017) will be held in room 105, in the Rosaria Building at MSVU. The Co-Premiers have spoken with Jeremy from MSVU about getting delegate bags, the large MSVU ad at the back of the delegate manual, and printing. All printing and final drafts of the skill building manual and the delegate manual must be completed in a timely manner, and final drafts should be completed approximately two weeks prior to conference. It is now possible to email potential keynote speakers back for speaking at conference.

 

Conference:

 

Date: The date of conference has been changed from October 28th and 29th to November 11th and 12th. This is due to the fact that the NSTU is having conferences the weekend of October 28th, and therefore there would not be any advisors available to go to conference. Because conference will now occur on Remembrance Day, there will be a moment of silence and someone from the Legion will come in to speak about Remembrance Day. Ciara would have to miss the morning of conference for school-related Remembrance Day memorials. With an extra two weeks, there is more time to organize and prepare for conference, and it is an opportunity to do things not normally seen at conference in relation to Remembrance Day. While promoting conference, it is advised to mention that Remembrance Day will be recognized at conference and that members of the Legion and Cadets will be invited.

 

School Rep and Skill Builder Retreat: The School Rep Retreat and Skill Building Retreat will be pushed back because of the change of date for conference. The School Rep Retreat will occur on Monday, September 25th and will run from 6:30pm – 8:30pm for the school reps, but cabinet will be at the location from 6:00pm – 9:00pm on September 25th. The location has yet to be confirmed, but MacPhee Centre has been offered on behalf of Quinn, as well Cole Harbour High and Halifax West High School are likely available to host. The email to school reps must be out by Monday, September 11th so that confirmation to attend must be finalized by Wednesday, September 13th. The Skill Building Retreat will occur on Sunday, October 29th, and the venue for the retreat has yet to be confirmed. Mary will speak with her principal about hosting it at Millwood High School.

 

Conference T-Shirts: Ideas were given out for the conference t-shirts, a popular example being a fist punching through the word “breakthrough” with 2017 written on the knuckles and the NSSSA logo at the bottom. There was the suggestion of the same idea but in a pop art style. Other suggestions were the word “breakthrough” but the letters are glass shattering, a shirt ripped open (in likeness to Superman) with “Breakthrough 2017” beneath the “ripped fabric,” the word “break” and “thru” written on a first, and a fist punching through a wall of glass or brick. Cody will email Alex Leblanc, the Media Relations, who can take the suggested designs and turn them into a graphic to put on a t-shirt. An idea was to put a poppy on the conference shirt, but it was decided that the shirt would look too cluttered to do so. The Co-Premiers will contact the Legion about poppies and potentially attending conference.

 

Sleeping Arrangements: At last year’s conference, there was a large feminine spectrum room, a masculine spectrum room, and an open spectrum room, where delegates would choose where they would sleep for the night. Separate suggestions for sleeping arrangements are one large sleeping room for everyone, a large open spectrum room with two smaller feminine spectrum and masculine spectrum rooms, or one large room with another smaller one for those who wouldn’t feel comfortable sleeping with so many people. It was agreed that everyone going to conference is a student leader and should be trusted to make their own decisions in regards to one room for everyone to sleep in (if there was a room large enough to hold everyone). However, because of generational differences, one sleeping room for everyone may be an issue for parents and may not let their kids go to conference. Quinn brought up the fact that separating people by their gender identity may allow some people to be more comfortable. Another thing to consider is the bathroom situation; if all delegates and skill builders were sleeping in the same room, would there be enough bathrooms to accommodate them? Sleeping arrangements will be revisited at the next meeting.

 

School Advisors: It was suggested to have advisor sessions during conference because otherwise, the school advisors do not have much to do. There could be a positive space workshop or someone could come in to certify teachers for mental health first aid because the NSSSA is a large advocate for taking care of one’s mental health. Advisor sessions may be discussed at a later time, but it was agreed that bringing more leadership skills to the school advisors is a good idea at conference.

 

Miscellaneous:

 

Timelines: Timelines will, in general, stay the same, but there are an added two weeks for working out any bumps or challenges that may arise. Registration forms will not have to be out for another week or so and the Co-Premiers will update timelines for cabinet members if they need to be changed.

 

Conference Name Acronym: A suggested acronym (by Anna Campbell) for “Breakthrough 2017” was “Becoming really engaged about knowledge, teamwork; honing & realizing our unique greatness harmoniously.” Through deliberation, it was decided by cabinet not to use the acronym because asking businesses for donations would be difficult with the long name, the t-shirts and delegate manual would look squished with the name, and “Breakthrough” makes a statement on its own.

 

Cabinet Spirit Wear: All cabinet wear must be ordered by next week, and payment to Julia, who is offering to use her credit card for the order, must be in cash only. It was officially decided to have crewnecks and Metro What t-shirts. The t-shirts will be white with black lettering, and cabinet will tie-dye them together as a bonding activity. There is a poll on the Facebook group to decide the colour of the crewneck with forest green, red, navy blue, baby pink, sky blue, and yellow as options. Other proposed cabinet gear to buy are Crocs and fanny packs. Cabinet members should remember that everything is optional to order.

 

School Reps and Presentations: Presentation outlines are nearly complete and the two weeks extension makes it easy to do presentations at schools about conference. The Head School Reps will email principals this week for presentations and ask the school reps what they are comfortable with for Grade 9 presentations. Cabinet members could go back to their own junior high schools to do presentations. While the Grammar School rep from last year said that the attendees from Grammar did not enjoy conference, private schools are especially difficult to bring to conference so even being in contact with Grammar School was an accomplishment. Getting feedback from those who attended conference last year from Grammar School could help improve conference for this year. There is currently no school rep for Carrefour, but Claire said that she would get in contact with students she knows there to find a school rep.

 

Caffeinated Beverages: Tea may be had at meetings, at cabinet members’ own discretion. Not drinking caffeinated beverages is part of physically being a leader and role model, as caffeine is a drug. Cabinet members should remember that they should demonstrate to others that while they may become stressed, they could still keep their physical, mental, and emotional health up without caffeine.

 

Final Thoughts:

 

An idea for the delegate manual is to have stick figures or drawings of people of many shapes and sizes and have delegates colour them in, possibly as part of a skill building session.

 

There will be cabinet bonding tie dying the Metro What shirts and making fuzzies.

 

There will most likely not be a meeting on Thanksgiving weekend, which is October 7th and 8th. What will occur instead is to be discussed (possibly positional call-ins).

 

All How-To’s and keynote speakers are on the Saturday (November 11th) of conference.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Mary motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:44, and Ciara seconded the motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, September 17th, 2017, at MSVU in the Rosaria Building, Room 105