Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20180916

Location: Mount Saint Vincent University

Time of commencement: 19:08

Time of Adjournment: 20:38

Duration: One hour and thirty minutes

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Katie Bates, Brooke Betyna, Youna McGowan, Jasmine Metzler, Alex Torrealba, DJ Shuman, Kailey Webber, Emily Webb, Julia Gonzales, Mitchell Aguinaga, Bleona Sahiti, Matthew Boutilier, Cameron Fiander, Isabelle Parmiter, Renee McLeod

Present Non-Voting Members: Anna Gaudet, Jeremy Scallion, Julia Lawrence, Quinn MacIsaac

Regrets: Ella Stacey, Becca MacAulay, Emily Robichaud

Positional Updates:

Secretary: Kailey edited, sent and posted the minutes from the previous Metro meeting on the website.

Public Relations: Alex needs a finalized itinerary to contact people to lead engagement sessions.

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs: They have been working on organising the skillbuilding retreat. Emily W has booked Lockview High School to host. The retreat will be held on Saturday, November 3. Katie said that she needs a written confirmation from the school.

Head School Representatives: They have a date for retreat which will be held September 24 at Millwood High School. Quinn advised only having one or two representatives solidified from each school as too many people may lead to poor communication. They ask that the Public Relations start looking for food donations to eat during the retreat.

3-Tions: They completed the first aid, chaperone and logistics, delegate, and skillbuilder forms. They now need to know what the refund deadline is.

Welcoming Co-Chair: They have a copy of a past welcoming email. They also are continuing to create more fuzzies.

Wendy: The have completed the talent show form. Alex will send them last years form so they can compare. They are searching for costumes. If anyone has any costumes, they ask to borrow them for conference.

Co-Premier: Becca and Katie have been working on completing the budget.

New Business:

Conference T-Shirts: The past few years there has been issues with conference t-shirts, more specifically the surplus of shirts affecting the profit margin. She asks for suggestions that may be more financially conscious. Cabinet suggested patches that people could collect at every conference. Other suggestions were lanyards, bandanas and stickers. If Cabinet decided not to order conference shirts, the extra money saved could allow cabinet to lower the cost to attend conference or create more scholarships. Conference shirts can be wasteful and should Cabinet not order them, there could be a positive environmental impact. Alex brought up the discussion regarding making delegate bags more environmentally friendly. Alex suggested smaller bags that could be also used as lunch bags, similar to the bags that are given out by “Lululemon”. Julia L  suggested that the Public Relations contact “Lululemon”. Cameron is concerned that delegates might think that Metro is being cheap for not giving out conference t-shirts. Jasmine mentioned that people wear past conference t-shirts to other conferences as spirit wear. DJ said that he wears his conference shirts all the time and has been good for promotion at his school. Julia L said one year they made delegates pre-order their conference t-shirts, this allowed the Metro Regional Cabinet to avoid ordering a surplus of t-shirts. Alex suggested, since Cabinet is considering environmentally friendly codeword options, they could give each item in the delegate bags something that is reusable and good for the environment. Anna said that the Conference Committee from last year discussed how delegate manuals get wasted and options to prevent this waste. She said that they brought up the idea of having the delegate manual online that can be sent out in a PDF format. If the Metro region starts the initiative to remove conference shirts, then other regions may follow suit. Mitchell suggested having a keynote speaker talk about environment impact.

Motion 1: Mitchell motioned to eliminate the creation of t-shirts at this year’s Metro Regional Conference. Renee seconded said motion.

If they choose to not order conference t-shirts, DJ suggests ordering conference spirit wear that could be sold at conference. He is worried that the conference attendees will feel cheated. Alex said they might not feel cheated if Cabinet explains the environmental impact that conference t-shirts have. Katie said that the NSSSA should evolve. If this idea does not go over well, then next year’s Cabinet can make the decision to either continue or discontinue it.

12 votes in favour, 1 abstaining, and 1 vote against.

Motion passed. The Metro Regional Cabinet will eliminate the creation of t-shirts at this year’s Metro Regional Conference.

Quinn mentioned “Let’s Grow”, “The Tare Shop”, and “Let’s Sprout”. These are environmentally friendly organizations, he recommends that they are contacted about the conference. One of the groups, came to a camp where Quinn was working and taught the group how to make bags out of old t-shirts. Brooke thinks that would be a great skillbuilding activity, but the bags would not be full unless Cabinet makes the bags before conference. Julia suggests putting the items in the room and have the delegates fill their own bags. Matt asked if there was enough shirts to have everyone create a bag. The Advisors suggested reaching out to the alumni network to see if anyone would want to donate old conference t-shirts.

Motion 2: Renee motions to create the delegate bags using leftover conference t-shirts. Julia G seconded said motion.

The amount of t-shirts needed depends on how many delegates register. Julia L estimates around 300. DJ brought up that people might throw the bag away. But, at least reusing the shirts in a useful way is better than what they are used for now. In the confirmation email they can put a note that delegates can bring their own old conference shirts.

13 voted in favor of the motion, 1 abstained and 0 voted against.

Motion passed. The Metro Regional Cabinet will create the delegate bags using leftover conference t-shirts.

At the next meeting Cabinet will touch base on finding t-shirts. They will also discuss ideas for how to replace conference t-shirts.

French Forms and Presentation: Carrefour requested that their registration forms and presentations be in french. Cameron completed translating the registration form to French. He will get someone who knows French really well to check it over. For presentations, Cabinet could change the video to have French subtitles. Julia L suggested since Cabinet is translating things to French, they should also consider translating to Arabic. Julia L challenges Cabinet to look at resources for translating in their schools.

Filming Promotional Video: Jasmine is into filmmaking so she is excited about making a great promotional video. Anna G said that videos do not give much context, so it would be a good idea to have a mix of footage from conference and context about what happens at conference. Filming should happen before the School Representative retreat. This could happen before next week’s meeting. Both the welcoming video and the promotional video will be filmed before the meeting next week.

Motion of Adjournment: Mitchell motioned to adjourn the meeting, Isabelle seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

Date of the Next Meeting: September 23, 2018.