NSSSA Minutes From:

Metro Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170903

 

Location: 50 Queen St, MacPhee Centre, Downtown Dartmouth

Time of Commencement: 19:01

Time of Adjournment: 20:40

Duration: One hour and thirty-nine minutes

 

Attendance:

 

Present Voting Members: Cody Campbell, Hannah Hewlin, Celia Briand, Ciara Harris, Annabelle Linders, Alex Torrealba, Hannah Johnson, Anna Gaudet, Kailey Webber, Becca MacAulay, Mary Stackaruk

Present Non-Voting Members: Quinn MacIsaac, Christina Torrealba

Regrets: Claire Kleinknecht, Robie Gonzales, Fortesa Sahiti, Kat Pindera

No-Shows: N/A

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions: At the current moment, the 3-Tions cannot make the registration forms or edit a previous year’s form because the name, date, and times of conference have not been confirmed. Hannah J has made contact with Fortesa, who was a 3-Tion last year, for a template for the conference registration form. It was decided that the 3-Tions would be the point of contact on the registration forms for any questions or concerns rather than the Co – Premiers.

 

A concern of the 3-Tions is the fact that the databases they have received are not always the same, and that there are some delegates and skill builders that come to conference are not from schools in the school database. These concerns will be addressed and discussed with the Head School Reps.

 

Skill builder forms and delegate forms are to be released at the same time but are two separate forms. Questions for the skill building registration form should be sent to the 3-Tions by September 4th. The confirmation email for delegates and skill builders needs to be drafted by September 6th.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs: The first two skill building sessions are nearly finished, and they centre around communication and skill building.

 

The skill builder retreat may be held at the Halifax Central Library; it is $60 to book for under 4 hours and $90 to book for more than 4hrs (for non-profit organizations). It is recommended to try to find a space that is free to hold the skill builder retreat but is good to have a back up plan.

 

Public Relations: The Public Relations are a bit behind with contacting businesses, but by next week will have a quarter of businesses contacted from the database that they have. The Public Relations plan on meeting up to plan and delegate tasks and will share their database with the Co-Premiers.

 

WENDY’s: The WENDY’s do not have a turnover package at the current moment but have been looking at the Cheer Bible. They also plan on contacting past WENDY’s for costumes or ideas of where to get costumes for the talent show.

 

Head School Reps: The Head School Reps have made a database of all high schools, junior high schools, French Immersion schools, and private schools in the Metro Region. They have school reps for nearly all of them except for private schools, the French Immersion schools, rural schools, as well as Sir John A and Prince Andrew.

 

The School Rep retreat is looking to be on Monday, September 11th, from 6pm-8pm, location TBD. Abe has connections to the Chocolate Lake Rec Centre, and the retreat may be there.

 

It is not the Head School Reps job to find school advisors for the schools in the Metro Region. School Reps with an advisor should send all of their advisor’s information to the Head School Reps, and if they do not have one, the HSR should strongly encourage the School Reps to find one; remember that advisors do not have to be teachers, but may be a parent or community member.

 

Welcoming Chair: The Welcoming Chair has made fuzzies and is recommended to get in touch with nursing homes for donations.

 

Secretary: The Secretary sent out the minutes from last week’s meeting and posted them on the website.

 

One of the Co-Advisors, Julia, ordered the spirit wear last year, and the Secretary may talk to her about the responsibility; Julia is open to ordering the spirit wear again this year for cabinet.

 

Co-Premiers: The Co-Premiers have made all of cabinet’s timelines for the year, as well as looked at the budget and numbers for the regional conference.

 

Metro is currently at a standstill with MSVU in regards to meetings, but the date for conference is reserved for Metro at MSVU.

 

The Co-Premiers are hoping to have registration forms out by the first day of school, September 7th, and to have the keynote speaker(s) confirmed by next week.

 

New Business:

 

At the beginning of the meeting, cabinet members went around for another round of introductions stating their name, school, and position. Alex and Fortesa have both not received their WENDY turnover package, and Becca was the only one in attendance who had not been at the retreat on August 22nd.

 

Meetings: It is understood that everyone on cabinet is in high school and have commitments such as jobs and extracurricular activities, but it is important to make sure to make time for meetings on Sunday nights and try to attend all meetings.

 

Conference:

 

Name and Theme: Cabinet members are to remember that the conference name does not have to be an acronym. Some suggestions for names were SOAR (success, opportunity, achievement…), Flight, Succeed, Choice, Flash, Engage, Spark, Ignite, Connect, Muse and Inspire. Some themes that came up for conference was “Woke” as in being socially or politically aware, “Intuition” as in learning to trust yourself in making decisions or learning how to ask for help. Another theme considered was “Stand Out” as in being original and learning how to be yourself because it is so easy to compare yourself to others and want to fit in. Those in attendance agreed that the theme of “Stand Out” is relevant to how teenagers are growing up in today’s social media orientated society. Mary suggested Breakthrough as a conference name as it is consistent with the theme, and those in attendance was in favour of the name.

 

Cody motioned to have the Metro Regional Conference on October 28-29 to be named Breakthrough 2017, and the motion passed unanimously.

 

Speakers: Anna contacted the sister of Jessie Bowers (Jessie spoke at HWHS about mental health) and noted that Jessie has an email to contact to request for public speaking. Anna has contacted Laing House in order to discuss booking her for speaking at conference.

 

Registration Forms: The 3-Tions are advised to be in continuous contact with Cody and Hannah H in order for registration forms to be out as soon as possible. There will be separate forms for Delegates, Skill Builders, and Advisors.

 

Itinerary: MSVU is booked for the Regional Conference from 8:00am on Saturday, Oct. 28th until 5:00pm on Sunday, Oct. 29th. It was decided that School Advisors should arrive at 8:00am or earlier, skill builders are to arrive for registration and set up of skill builder tables at 8:00am, delegates are to arrive for registration to begin at 9:00am, and the Opening Ceremonies will begin at 10:00am. Cody and Hannah H will speak with Jill from MSVU about cabinet going the night of Oct. 27th to set up for conference the next day, as well as arriving at 7:30am the next morning to finalize set up. Cabinet will continuously check in with either Quinn or Julia throughout conference, as they are the Advisors for cabinet. Pick up time for delegates and skill builders will be by 12:00pm on Sunday, Oct. 29th, and cabinet will stay after for clean up and a debrief.

 

Spirit wear: Spirit wear talk will be for the next meeting; cabinet members are advised to vote on the poll in the Facebook group. At current, crewnecks are winning the poll. It was motioned to get red Metro What t-shirts at the previous meeting, however, another idea was to get white Metro What t-shirts and tie dye them as a cabinet bonding activity.

 

Miscellaneous:

 

Conference T-Shirts: Cabinet members are to think of designs for the conference shirts in relation to the name Breakthrough 2017 and the connected theme for the next meeting. One idea was a fist punching through the word “Breakthrough” with “2017” written on the knuckles of the fist. Alex LeBlanc (Media Relations) offered to make the t-shirt designs for various regions’ conferences.

 

Delegate Manual: There should be communication between the Public Relations and the Skill Building Co-Chairs for the Delegate Manual.

 

Cabinet Bonding: An idea for cabinet bonding is making fuzzies together due to the fact that there should be about 400 – 500 fuzzies made, and only one Welcoming Chair.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Becca motioned to adjourn the meeting at 20:40, and Kailey seconded said motion. Motion passed, meeting adjourned.

 

Date of Next Meeting: Sunday, September 10th, 2017, location TBD