NSSSA Minutes From:

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20160826

Location: STFX University Schwart’s Building

Time of Commencement: 5:12pm

Time of Adjournment: 6:56pm

Duration: 1 hour 44 minutes

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Paddy Wallace, Zac Foran, Avery MacDonald, Will Bowie, Sam Silver, George LeBlanc, Cameron Muise, Kegan Palmer, Mackenzie Casey, Sara Murrin, Kara MacDougall, Emma MacDougall, Alex LeBlanc, Travis Grace, Donald Jewkes.

Present Non-Voting Members: Peter Woo, Gordon Burns, Dawn Thompson.

Regrets: Julia Lawrence, Jonas Lawrence, Meagan Kettley, Tiffany MacLennan, Logan Fox, Maria MacDonald, Monica Lumsden.

No Shows:

Updates:

Co-Premiers:

  • Held an RC meeting and a bonding event with the Strait Regional Cabinet.
  • Contacted possible Keynote speaker, Zac Crouse for our regional conference.
  • Decided to hold a grade 9 conference and were in contact with the venue SAERC and are waiting for a response.
  • Had a meeting with StFX Conferences and Events team to draft our contract, also during this meeting the dates of our regional conference have been confirmed for November 19th and 20th.
  • Contacted Paul Landry, who coordinates SRSB meetings. He will hopefully give us a speaking time so we can introduce ourselves to the region’s Principals. Waiting on a response.
  • We were contacted by Krista MacEachern (advisor for a leadership/volunteer group). She wants Strait Regional Cabinet to organize a workshop type day for this group. This is a possibility, and it will probably take place during the second semester.
  • An RC meeting schedule was created that doesn’t conflict with PC meetings.

3-tions:

  • Received and looked over the empty database and past forms.
  • Filled in a spreadsheet with RC’s information as practice.

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Brainstormed welcoming activities.
  • Discussed trying something new to test out at grade 9 conference. If that fails then the welcoming activity will be the fuzzies.

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs:

  • Received skill building manuals from the previous Skill Building Co-Chairs, then reviewed them.
  • Looked over the games from each manual and wrote down games that haven’t been used in a while.
  • Chose games that might be good for the grade 9 event.
  • Chose games that might be good for the regional conference.

PR:

  • Created a donations database.
  • Created a how-to database.
  • Began to create a delegate manual and sent out delegate manual questions that were to be answered by RC by August 26th.

PR Promo:

  • Added a snapchat/instagram account to our social media sites.
  • Downloaded an app to create a geofilter for our regional conference.
  • Started a draft email to 101.5 the Hawk.

Secretary:

  • Contacted Ross Screen Print to ask about pricing of the clothing items discussed by RC.
  • Picked up a catalogue.
  • Sweaters will cost around 35-40 dollars.
  • 50/50 split between bucket hats and t-shirts.
  • All of cabinet will have sweaters but some will have t-shirts while others will have bucket hats. Some may have both, it is their decision.

Head School Reps:

  • Updated the Principal database.
  • Couldn’t find any of the principal’s cell numbers so that column will be updated as forms come in.
  • Got a school rep for every school except Richmond Academy, Inverness Academy, and Ecole Beau Port.
  • Made contact with someone from Cape Breton Highlands Academy. Waiting for a reply from them.

Wendy:

  • Memorized cheers.
  • Got some costumes ready.
  • Made a first draft of the talent show form.

Logistics:

  • Spoke with last year’s positions to receive information.

Head Chaps:

  • Thought about who the chaperones for conference will be.
  • As of now, have 4 about chaps including Peter and Tiffany.

New Business:

There is discussion about names for both conferences (grade 9 event and regional conference). The logo for our Strait Regional Conference is also discussed and it is decided that anyone on RC can bring in a logo design to the next meeting and the cabinet will vote on which design will work best.

Motion:

  • Zac motions to name the Grade 9 event S.M.I.L.E. (Supporting and Motivating Individuals with Leadership Experiences).
  • Sara seconds the motion.
  • 1 member opposed; motion is carried.

Motion:

  • Paddy motions to name the Regional Conference L.I.F.T. U.P. (Leadership Involving Fundamental Teamwork and Understanding Possibilities).
  • Emma Seconds the motion.
  • Unanimous vote; motion is carried.

Positional Tasks:

Co-Premiers:

  • Make a schedule for grade 9 event, continue to contact S.T.F.X., continue contacting speakers. Make facebook group chats with each position for easy communication.

3-tions:

  • Make a form for advisors and delegates for Grade 9.
  • Pick who will be sitting out grade 9 conference.

Skillbuilding Co-chairs:

  • Create a skillbuilding manual for grade 9 event.
  • Start to get a basic idea for regionals.

PR:

  • Contact people for the how-to fair for grade 9, begin looking for donations for regionals..
  • Start working on the delegate manual for regionals.

PR Promo

  • Brainstorm different competitions to host and also think of different ways to promote our conferences, draft email for the hawk & 98.9 XFM.

Wendy

  • Practice cheer bible.
  • Plan Epic for grade 9 event.

Headschool Rep External

  • Contact all principals regarding holding presentations before grade 9 event.

Headschool Rep Internal

  • Plan a meeting for all school reps and hold it before the second week of September.
  • Make a small database including all of the school reps (you could possibly add this in and combine it with the principal database).

Welcoming Co-Chairs

  • Select what activities you are doing for grade 9 conference and regionals, once you have decided what activities start making them or organizing the further.

Secretary

  • Minutes and collect sizes and nicknames from everyone on RC.

Head Logistics

  • Start selecting your logistics team, try to keep this to a minimum.

Head Chaperone

  • Start selecting you chaperone team, try to keep this to a minimum.

Head First Aid

  • Start selecting your first aid team, try to keep this to a minimum

The next meeting will take place September 4th, 6:00pm at Zac Foran’s house.