NSSSA Minutes From:
Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting
Location: 46 Old Riverside Rd, Guysborough
Time of Commencement: 1:59pm
Time of Adjournment: 3:19
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Present Voting Members: Kara MacDougall, Wamfa Kumdoung, Maddie Ehler, Molly Vokey, Aidan Doucet, Jack Clapperton, Payton MacMillan, Mathew MacEachern, Emma Jewkes, Angus Kennedy, Sam Silver, Monica Lumsden, Noor Mohrez, Kinnon Wallace, Tessa Pelrine
Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson
Regrets: Ria Juurlink, Margaret Ann Gillis, Avery LeLièvre, Logan Fox, Wilfred Bowie, Zac Foran, Paddy Wallace, Katelyn Libbus
- Created G.R.O.O.V.E database.
- Wrote G.R.O.O.V.E. confirmation email.
Skill Building Co-Chairs:
- Worked on session four for G.R.O.O.V.E skillbuilding manual.
- Posted more on social media.
- Received and waiting on more donations from businesses.
- Following up on businesses this week.
- Working on and coming up with new ideas for EPIC.
- Making list of cheers for G.R.O.O.V.E.
- Practiced cheers.
- Chose a Tie-Dye theme for the dance at regionals.
Head School Reps:
- Emailed all principals.
- Checked in with reps. Told them to do as much promoting as possible and gave them tips on promoting.
- Had presentations at SAERC, St. Mary’s, Dalbrae and Canso Academy.
- Booked presentations for CBHA and discussing meeting at NDA and Dalbrae.
- Promoted in Dr.J.
- Made more Fuzzies.
- Worked on the G.R.O.O.V.E Welcoming Email.
- Began a draft for the packing list.
- Sent out the October 12th meeting’s minutes.
- Had contact with Steve regarding G.R.O.O.V.E shirt logos.
- Sent follow up email to Rebecca Messay about being a speaker.
- Promoted G.R.O.O.V.E.
- Got a contract from new coordinator at St.FX. Food pricing is missing aside from supper, which is $13.50(same as last year). Looking into cheaper meal options.
- Reviewed and changed conference itinerary. Talent show times were changed from last year.
- Dance studios were not booked, still waiting on an answer from St.FX. The space would be used for advisor’s sleeping arrangements.
Head First Aid:
Head Mental Health First Aid:
- Cabinet discussed positional reminders since conference is quickly approaching.
- Dawn read aloud the advice given by last year’s cabinet at debrief to each position on the current cabinet
- Cabinet was reminded to take advantage of mental health first aid for themselves at conference.
- Co-premiers brought up a new system for how-tos.
- Delegates will be split in half. Half will be at opportunity fair, which will be a setup of “drop in” How-Tos (similar to grade nine event). The other half will attend one how-to session, which they signed up for, and then the two groups will switch.
- PR’s will continue to work out the details.
Delegates from outside regions
- Cabinet encourages delegates from other regions to find their own advisors. If the delegates cannot, Strait cabinet will try to place them with a Strait advisor if possible. However, delegates from the Strait region are priority.
- Cabinet agreed that using excel for databases was not optimal for NSSSA’s use, so google sheets will be used from now on.
- Delegate sponsorship opportunities for G.R.O.O.V.E will be offered shortly. A google survey will be used as an application and will be posted on the NSSSA website.
- The strike at Canada Post may complicate the sending/receiving of regional forms.
- Other ways to receive forms from school reps were discussed; send pictures, scanned, courrier, maritime bus.
Preparation for G.R.O.O.V.E.
- Be prepared for the worst when getting ready for conference.
- Think of what could go wrong and come up with possible solutions.
- Cabinet should work very hard to promote 24/7.
- Push yourself to talk to as many people as you can. Make the extra step to sit with people to discuss conference.
- Use social media to promote.
- Looking into getting Dr.J to pay for international students to go to conference.
Adjournment: Sam motioned to adjourn the meeting. Mathew seconded the motion. Meeting was adjourned.