NSSSA Minutes From:
Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting
Location: 50 Fox Lane, Newtown
Time of Commencement: 6:12pm
Time of Adjournment: 7:58pm
Duration: 1 hour 46 minutes
Present Voting Members: Maria MacDonald, Avery MacDonald, Sara Murrin, Logan Fox, Angus Kennedy, Kara MacDougall, Monica Lumsden, Will Bowie, Margaret-Ann Gillis, Aaron Martell, Emma Jewkes, Aidan Doucet, Sam Silver, Jack Clapperton, Avery LeLievre, Madison Harpell, Rebecca MacKeen
Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson
Regrets: Jonas Lawrence, Peter Woo
No Shows: Sophie Lawrence, Meagan Kettley, Christina Nickerson, Selena Landry, Tiffany MacLennan
- Reviewed contract for St.FX and found many mistakes.
- Having a meeting on Wednesday, September 13th with St. FX and hope to get the contract sorted out.
- In contact with SAERC, asking about the School Rep Retreat and the date of Grade 9 Event, but still waiting for confirmation.
- Continued to work on the Grade 9 Event forms for Delegates and Advisors.
- The most up to date forms were sent to Abe and the Presidential Trio.
- Made the template for the Grade 9 Event database.
- Hard at work Fuzzying (total fuzzy count: 65).
- Going to buy the materials needed for the Flag Game for Grade 9 Event soon.
- Need to sort out the refund process with Avery, Sara and Dawn.
- Finished the Skillbuilding Manual for Grade 9 Event.
- Put the finishing touches on the manual and planned the topics for the Skillbuilding Sessions for Regional Conference.
- Created a database for How-To Sessions for Grade 9 Event and still have half of the cabinet not signed up for anything.
- Nearly finished the Delegate Manual and still have some members that didn’t send in their pictures yet.
- Been hard at work reaching out to business and still getting no confirmation. Going to start asking when they will be expecting to answer back.
- Edited and sent out the minutes to RC.
- Posted the minutes on the NSSSA website.
- Received an email back from Ross Screenprint, sweaters will cost $41.40 each.
- Waiting to hear back about when the sweaters will be ready.
Head School Reps:
- On Thursday, Avery sent out an email to touch base again with all the principals making sure her first email had been received and I have heard back from a very good amount of them.
- Date(s) for presentations are booked at the following schools:
- St. Mary’s (both dates)
- NDA (grade 9 date only, so far)
- CBHA (both dates)
- Canso (both dates)
- Dr. J.H.G. (grade 9 date only, so far)
- In current contact with Inverness, Richmond and Dalbrae discussing date options.
- Have not heard back at all yet from Beauport, Pomquet, SAERC, Guysborough and East Antigonish. Avery will call the schools on Thursday if she hasn’t heard from them by then.
- The lady she was in contact with about the school in Whycocomagh has forwarded her email to the administration and she is now waiting for their reply.
- Madison has contacted a teacher at Dalbrae that gave her the name of a student who agreed to be the School Rep for the year.
- Madison emailed her, introducing Avery and herself, giving the student an update of what they know already like she did with the other School Reps last week.
- Entered the student’s information into the School Rep database.
- Made a data base for their costumes.
- Started picking games for Grade 9 Event’s Epic. Needs to be finished by the 25th.
- Sent the finished Talent Show forms to the PRs.
- Edited a lot of emails and documents.
- Make sure you’re sharing emails and documents with Dawn so they can be edited.
Head First Aid:
Head Mental Health First Aid:
- Plan for Grade 9 Event
- Still waiting for dates from SAERC
- Monday, September 11th the Co-Premiers are calling Tamarac Education Centre to see what they can offer for Grade 9 Event.
- If there is no available venue soon Grade 9 Event will have to be postponed or cancelled.
- Documents and Emails
- RC members must remember to share all documents and emails with Avery, Sara and Dawn to be looked over and edited.
- They need to have access to edit, not just view.
- Documents and emails should be shared as soon as they’re created, not after they’re complete.
- Every email sent must cc Avery, Sara and Dawn.
- Replies must be forwarded to them as well.
- Meeting Deadlines
- Positional task deadlines are encouraged to be met before the date on the timeline, if possible.
- If something can be done early, do it, because homework and other things can get in the way closer to the actual deadline, making the situation more stressful.
- When a task is complete, comment on the positional timeline, so Avery and Sara can change it to “complete”.
- Social Media
- Strait RC must have a strong social media to promote conference.
- This includes Twitter and Facebook.
- PRs must Alex about Snapchat Live and ask for approval of Geofilters.
- Try to get students excited about conference by posting on social media.
- Monica’s idea about having a Photo Booth during How-To’s; this will promote NSSSA through the Grade 9 students.
- Social media contest will be starting: every week the PRs will post something on Facebook and Twitter (RC related), each person to like or comment on the post will get a ballot put in a weekly draw for a prize, which will be given out at conference.
- Venue for School Rep Retreat
- SAERC won’t confirm anything.
- The School Rep Retreat will now consist of individual check-ins via Google Hangouts.
- The Head School Reps will go through the expectations and role of the School Rep.
- Skillbuilding Supplies for Grade 9 Event:
- Each group will need the following:
- 1 Large blanket
- Lots of paper (Approximately 30 pieces)
- Writing utensils (1 per person)
- Something to tie a whole group together (tape, rope, string)
- 1 hula hoop for each group
- Poly spots
- Cue cards
- Epic Idea:
- The skit for Epic will consist of Jack and Monica acting as hippies, wanting the delegates to get a petition signed to “Save the Fuzzies”.
- Instead of receiving tokens, the Skillbuilding groups will need to get signatures from the Skillbuilders after completing their task.
- Conference Logo Ideas:
- Will’s idea for last years conference could be used this year, of stick people holding up the letters to “PLEDGE”
- Dawn added to Will’s idea by suggesting that each stick person could be doing an action that corresponds with the word of the letter they’re holding up. For example, have a stick person carrying a watering can with the G (Growth).
- Sam’s idea of building blocks with the letters spelling “PLEDGE”
- Logan’s idea of a sash across the shirt spelling “PLEDGE”
- Next meeting should have finalized logos to vote on.
- Sara motions to adjourn the meeting.
- Rebecca seconds this motions.
The next meeting will be held at TBA at Will Bowie’s house on Sunday, September 17th.