NSSSA Minutes From:

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20170910

 

Location: 50 Fox Lane, Newtown

Time of Commencement: 6:12pm

Time of Adjournment: 7:58pm

Duration: 1 hour 46 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Maria MacDonald, Avery MacDonald, Sara Murrin, Logan Fox, Angus Kennedy, Kara MacDougall, Monica Lumsden, Will Bowie, Margaret-Ann Gillis, Aaron Martell, Emma Jewkes, Aidan Doucet, Sam Silver, Jack Clapperton, Avery LeLievre, Madison Harpell, Rebecca MacKeen

Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson

Regrets: Jonas Lawrence, Peter Woo

No Shows: Sophie Lawrence, Meagan Kettley, Christina Nickerson, Selena Landry, Tiffany MacLennan

 

Updates:

 

Co-Premiers:

 

  • Reviewed contract for St.FX and found many mistakes.
  • Having a meeting on Wednesday, September 13th with St. FX and hope to get the contract sorted out.
  • In contact with SAERC, asking about the School Rep Retreat and the date of Grade 9 Event, but still waiting for confirmation.

 

3-tions:

 

  • Continued to work on the Grade 9 Event forms for Delegates and Advisors.
  • The most up to date forms were sent to Abe and the Presidential Trio.
  • Made the template for the Grade 9 Event database.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

 

  • Hard at work Fuzzying (total fuzzy count: 65).
  • Going to buy the materials needed for the Flag Game for Grade 9 Event soon.
  • Need to sort out the refund process with Avery, Sara and Dawn.

 

Skillbuilding Co-Chairs:

 

  • Finished the Skillbuilding Manual for Grade 9 Event.
  • Put the finishing touches on the manual and planned the topics for the Skillbuilding Sessions for Regional Conference.

 

Public Relations:

 

  • Created a database for How-To Sessions for Grade 9 Event and still have half of the cabinet not signed up for anything.
  • Nearly finished the Delegate Manual and still have some members that didn’t send in their pictures yet.
  • Been hard at work reaching out to business and still getting no confirmation. Going to start asking when they will be expecting to answer back.

 

Secretary:

 

  • Edited and sent out the minutes to RC.
  • Posted the minutes on the NSSSA website.
  • Received an email back from Ross Screenprint, sweaters will cost $41.40 each.
  • Waiting to hear back about when the sweaters will be ready.

 

Head School Reps:

 

External:

 

  • On Thursday, Avery sent out an email to touch base again with all the principals making sure her first email had been received and I have heard back from a very good amount of them.
  • Date(s) for presentations are booked at the following schools:

 

  • St. Mary’s (both dates)
  • NDA (grade 9 date only, so far)
  • CBHA (both dates)
  • Canso (both dates)
  • Dr. J.H.G. (grade 9 date only, so far)

 

  • In current contact with Inverness, Richmond and Dalbrae discussing date options.
  • Have not heard back at all yet from Beauport, Pomquet, SAERC, Guysborough and East Antigonish. Avery will call the schools on Thursday if she hasn’t heard from them by then.
  • The lady she was in contact with about the school in Whycocomagh has forwarded her email to the administration and she is now waiting for their reply.

 

Internal:

 

  • Madison has contacted a teacher at Dalbrae that gave her the name of a student who agreed to be the School Rep for the year.
  • Madison emailed her, introducing Avery and herself, giving the student an update of what they know already like she did with the other School Reps last week.
  • Entered the student’s information into the School Rep database.

 

Wendy:

 

  • Made a data base for their costumes.
  • Started picking games for Grade 9 Event’s Epic. Needs to be finished by the 25th.
  • Sent the finished Talent Show forms to the PRs.

 

Regional Advisor:

 

  • Edited a lot of emails and documents.
  • Make sure you’re sharing emails and documents with Dawn so they can be edited.

 

Logistics:

 

Head Chaps:

 

Head First Aid:

 

Head Mental Health First Aid:

 

New Business:

 

 

  • Plan for Grade 9 Event

 

  • Still waiting for dates from SAERC
  • Monday, September 11th the Co-Premiers are calling Tamarac Education Centre to see what they can offer for Grade 9 Event.
  • If there is no available venue soon Grade 9 Event will have to be postponed or cancelled.

 

 

  • Documents and Emails

 

  • RC members must remember to share all documents and emails with Avery, Sara and Dawn to be looked over and edited.
  • They need to have access to edit, not just view.
  • Documents and emails should be shared as soon as they’re created, not after they’re complete.
  • Every email sent must cc Avery, Sara and Dawn.
  • Replies must be forwarded to them as well.

 

 

  • Meeting Deadlines

 

  • Positional task deadlines are encouraged to be met before the date on the timeline, if possible.
  • If something can be done early, do it, because homework and other things can get in the way closer to the actual deadline, making the situation more stressful.
  • When a task is complete, comment on the positional timeline, so Avery and Sara can change it to “complete”.

 

 

  • Social Media

 

  • Strait RC must have a strong social media to promote conference.
  • This includes Twitter and Facebook.
  • PRs must Alex about Snapchat Live and ask for approval of Geofilters.
  • Try to get students excited about conference by posting on social media.
  • Monica’s idea about having a Photo Booth during How-To’s; this will promote NSSSA through the Grade 9 students.
  • Social media contest will be starting: every week the PRs will post something on Facebook and Twitter (RC related), each person to like or comment on the post will get a ballot put in a weekly draw for a prize, which will be given out at conference.

 

 

  • Venue for School Rep Retreat

 

  • SAERC won’t confirm anything.
  • The School Rep Retreat will now consist of individual check-ins via Google Hangouts.
  • The Head School Reps will go through the expectations and role of the School Rep.

 

 

  • Skillbuilding Supplies for Grade 9 Event:

 

  • Each group will need the following:
  • 1 Large blanket
  • Lots of paper (Approximately 30 pieces)
  • Writing utensils (1 per person)
  • Something to tie a whole group together (tape, rope, string)
  • 1 hula hoop for each group
  • Poly spots
  • Cue cards

 

 

  • Epic Idea:

 

  • The skit for Epic will consist of Jack and Monica acting as hippies, wanting the delegates to get a petition signed to “Save the Fuzzies”.
  • Instead of receiving tokens, the Skillbuilding groups will need to get signatures from the Skillbuilders after completing their task.

 

 

  • Conference Logo Ideas:

 

  • Will’s idea for last years conference could be used this year, of stick people holding up the letters to “PLEDGE”
  • Dawn added to Will’s idea by suggesting that each stick person could be doing an action that corresponds with the word of the letter they’re holding up. For example, have a stick person carrying a watering can with the G (Growth).
  • Sam’s idea of building blocks with the letters spelling “PLEDGE”
  • Logan’s idea of a sash across the shirt spelling “PLEDGE”
  • Next meeting should have finalized logos to vote on.

 

Motion:

 

  • Sara motions to adjourn the meeting.
  • Rebecca seconds this motions.

 

The next meeting will be held at TBA at Will Bowie’s house on Sunday, September 17th.