NSSSA Minutes From:                                                                                                                                                 

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20160911

 

Location: 50 Fox Lane, Newtown.                                                                                                                       

Time of Commencement: 6:06pm                                                                                               

Time of Adjournment: 7:22pm                                                                                                                                                                    Duration: 1 hour 16 minutes.

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Zac Foran, Paddy Wallace, Travis Grace, Sara Murrin, Sam Silver, Avery MacDonald, Logan Fox, Alex LeBlanc, Will Bowie, Donald Jewkes, Kara MacDougall, Monica Lumsden, George LeBlanc, Kegan Palmer, Mackenzie Casey, Emma MacDougall.                                                                  

Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson.                                                                       

Regrets: Gordon Burns, Peter Woo, Tiffany MacLennan, Travis Grace, Paddy Wallace, Jonas Lawrence.

No-Shows:

Late: Cameron Muise, Maria MacDonald.

 

Updates:

3-Tions:

  • Finalized the Grade 9 forms as much as possible, since the final location has not been confirmed yet.
  • Created forms for delegates, advisors, logistics, chaperones, skill builders and first aids for regional conference. These forms, along with the forms for SMILE, have not yet been sent to Abe to be finalized because they are still subject to change.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs:

  • Almost finished the grade 9 skillbuilding manual.
  • Finalized the entire 1st and 2nd skill building session.
  • Made a list of what activities to do for 3rd skill building session.

 

Public Relations:

  • Created an Awesome Antigonish application draft.
  • Updated donation letter.
  • Worked on delegate manual. There are still a few things left to include.
  • Asked Gordon and Paddy about doing how-tos for grade 9 event. Gordon is away so he is not able to reply. Paddy doesn’t have enough information about Bergengren credit union yet to be able to do a how-to on it. Thought about asking Jonas, however, we don’t want both head logistics doing how-tos at the same time.
  • Emailed Andrew Foran about doing a how-to.
  • Emailed 3 presidents about doing a how-to NSSSA.

 

Public Relations Promotions:

  • Contacted webmaster.
  • Decided to have a “Meet your RC” contest.
  • Waiting for approval on 101.5 hawk email.

 

WENDYs:

  • Passed the talent show form to the Co-Premier’s and are finishing up adjustments they suggested.
  • Made cheer list for grade 9
  • Sent talent show forms to Public Relations.

 

Head School Reps:

  • Received 5 emails back from principals, (Richmond, Canso, Ecole Beau-Port, Pomquet, and Dalbrae).
  • Now confirming dates with the principals from these schools for presentations.
  • Was in contact with someone from Inverness but they turned down the position.
  • Working out details for the head school rep meeting.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Started collecting yarn donations and posting on buy and sell pages.
  • Touched up on the welcoming activity for grade 9 conference.
  • Going to get yarn donations from 5 to a Dollar.
  • Decided on puzzles for grade 9 even welcoming activity.

Secretary:

  • Sent out September 4th minutes to Regional Cabinet.
  • Collected more names/sizes for RC clothing.

 

Co-Premiers:

  • Have not heard back yet from Zac Crouse.
  • Steve Foran could be a possible speaker. He runs a business dealing with teamwork in workplaces.
  • Have not heard back about grade 9 event venues from SAERC or Tamarac
  • Might talk to Wanda Fougere about holding the grade 9 event at Dr. John Hugh Gillis Regional High School.
  • Will call SAERC’s principal first thing on Tuesday.
  • Would like to get the grade 9 event venue for free. If SAERC wants us to pay then we will contact the principal at Tamarac Education Centre.
  • Going to contact event coordinator at St.FX.

Head Chaperones:

  • Spoke with approximately 20 alumni and quickly asked them if they are willing to chaperone the dates of the conference. They responded saying they’d be open to helping out. Definitely don’t need this many alumni at conference, but just in case plans change, there will be plenty of alumni to choose from.

 

Head Logistics:

  • Considered people for the logistic positions for grade 9 event and regional conference.

 

New Business:

Awesome Antigonish- an organization that will give out a $1000 grant to other organizations who send in an application. We could potentially use this for sponsorships. We are not sure if our organization is able to accept grants, Zac will discuss this with Provincial Cabinet at their next meeting. Awesome Antigonish is looking to sponsor start-up projects. NSSSA might not be their best option for who they give the grant to, because of how large our organization already is. We could apply in October, receive the grant in November and could also apply for the second time in March. We would use that grant for sponsorships for Strait Region delegates attending Provincial conference.

 

Logos for regional conference t-shirts:

  • Looking to have just 1 colour on the logo. This is less expensive.
  • Logo options were sent on the RC group chat.

Discussed Logo designs-took a vote.

  • Hot Air Balloons Logo received 14 votes- this will be our conference t-shirt logo.

Discussed Logo/T-shirt colours.

  • Blue t-shirts and yellow logo received the majority vote.

 

New Positional Tasks:

For each new positional task, refer to the timeline.
Next meeting will take place September 18th at 6:00pm, 1 Triton Brook Court, Antigonish.