NSSSA Minutes From:
Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting
Location: 111 Hawthorne St.
Time of Commencement: 5:09pm
Time of Adjournment: 6:26pm
Duration: 1 hour 17 minutes
Present Voting Members: Jack Clapperton, Emma Jewkes, Ria Juurlink, Payton MacMillan, Matthew MacEachern, Angus Kennedy, Kara MacDougall, Wamfa Kumduong, Maddie Ehler, Margaret Ann Gillis, Tessa Pelrine, Molly Vokey, Monica Lumsden, Aidan Doucet, Noor Mohrez, Sam Silver
Present Non-Voting Members: Zac Foran, Will Bowie, Dawn Thompson
Late: Kinnon Wallace
Regrets: Logan Fox, Avery LeLièvre, Katelyn Libbus, Paddy Wallace
- Sent the completed forms to Abe and Dawn.
- Sent delegate confirmation email draft to co-premiers.
Skill Building Co-Chairs:
- Created document with selected session themes for regionals.
- Completed session three for grade nine event manual.
- Made another social media post and organised future social media posts.
- Got organized for visiting businesses and have visited 4 businesses already.
- Updated the database and searched for more businesses to add.
- Finished donation letter template and finalized PR “spiels”.
- Edited corporate package.
- Sent out email about grade nine how-tos to cabinet.
- Going to visit more businesses.
- Brainstormed new ways EPIC could be made different from past years.
- Continued to study cheer bible.
- Made costume database.
- Chose which cheers would be used for regionals.
Head School Reps:
- Had positional update with Amber.
- Sent out email to this year’s potential school reps and heard back from one (not including reps on cabinet).
- Drafted the email for principals, which is to be sent out on Monday.
- Edited presentation for grade nines.
- Looking to book grade nine presentations within schools for the near future.
- Made more fuzzies.
- Researched and added more games to the welcoming activity for grade nine event.
- Drafted welcoming email for grade nine event.
- Drafted packing list for grade nine event.
- Sent out minutes from September 9th’s meeting.
- Posted minutes on NSSSA website.
- Emailed back and forth with Steve from First choice and placed order for both cabinet sweaters and bucket hats.
- Will be collecting money for apparel from cabinet in the following week.
- In the process of booking Saerc for grade nine event. Faxed facilities booking form to SAERC from Dr.J.
- Currently figuring out the details and will hopefully have it booked in the next week
- Getting regional logistic applications ready.
- Getting regional chaperones applications ready.
Head First Aid:
- Taking a First Aid recertification course on September 22nd.
Head Mental Health First Aid:
- MHFA course was officially booked for September 22nd-23rd.
- Did lots of editing.
Cabinet apparel prices
- Crewnecks- $28.75
- Bucket Hats- $25.90
- Money should be given to secretary at the next meeting in exact change.
- All cabinet members should be regularly checking the timeline and keeping up with all tasks.
- Everyone should look ahead on their timeline to be aware of what needs to be completed in the future.
- Do not let work pile up- use the timeline to your advantage and let it help keep you organized.
- Remember to comment complete when done.
Minutes and emails
- All cabinet members must remember to consistently respond to minutes with the keyword within 48 hours.
- To avoid confusion for secretary, when members receive email with minutes, the should reply back to said email so all responses are in the same email thread.
- Cabinet should share ALL documents regarding cabinet business with the co-premiers and Dawn!
- Co-premiers emphasized the importance of building a friendly relationship among partners and to maintain good communication.
- Understand that partnerships should have a “give and take” relationship. This means to share the workload and to be willing pick up slack or ask for help.
- Try to communicate any concerns you may have with your partner to ensure all tasks are completed on time and prevent the development of any bad work habits.
Tentative Dates for release of BOP forms
- Cabinet is aiming to have forms out for September 24th.
- After forms come out, registration will be open for two cornbread weeks, and therefore the possible due date is October 5th.
3-tions sitting out
- It was clarified that one 3-tion must sit out at grade nine event to manage the database, while the other two 3-tions will sit out at regional conference.
- 3-tions will decide who will cover each role amongst themselves.
Speaker for regionals
- Co-premiers encouraged cabinet to continue coming up with possible keynote speakers for regional conference.
- Possible speaker; Rebecca Mesay. Mesay was a potential speaker for the 2018 provincial conference and offered a cheap cost. Cabinet agreed she would be a good option as she is an individual involved in youth leadership, and would be more relatable to the conference’s audience.
Grade nine skillbuilding retreat
- The grade nine skillbuilding retreat for cabinet will be held on Friday october 12th, at Swartz around 5pm.
Regional conference skillbuilding retreat
- Cabinet discussed possible dates for the regional skillbuilding retreat. Although it conflicts with the time of Metro regional conference, it was decided Saturday November 10th would be the best day to hold it because of other deadlines for Strait’s conference.
- Cabinet will have a meeting before the retreat. This meeting will be mandatory for all cabinet members.
- Don’t forget to promote attending conference as a delegate AND a skillbuilder.
- Encourage past delegates to apply to be a skillbuilder.
StFX open house
- The StFX open house is on the same day as grade nine event, however cabinet is looking into finding another way to visit stfx, as many are interested in attending the event.
Adjournment: Monica motioned to adjourn the meeting. Jack seconded the motion. Meeting was adjourned.