NSSSA Minutes From:

Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting

20160918

 

Location: 1 Triton Brook Court, Antigonish

Time of Commencement: 6:06pm                                                                                                

Time of Adjournment:7:58pm                                                                                                                                                                    

Duration: 1 hour, 52 minutes

 

Attendance:

Present Voting Members: Zac Foran, Paddy Wallace, Avery MacDonald, Monica Lumsden, Alex LeBlanc, Wilfred Bowie, Sara Murrin, Emma MacDougall, Cameron Muise, Kara MacDougall, Donald Jewkes, Mackenzie Casey, Logan Fox, George LeBlanc, Maria MacDonald, Sam Silver.                                                                                

Present Non-Voting Members: Dawn Thompson.                                                                              

Regrets: Peter Woo, Tiffany MacLennan, Jonas Lawrence, Gordon Burns, Meagan Kettley, Kegan Palmer, Julia Lawrence.

Late: Travis Grace- arrived at 7:37pm

 

Updates:

 

3-Tions:

  • Sent the delegate and advisor SMILE forms Abe and he finalized them.
  • Drafted confirmation emails for SMILE and LIFT UP.

 

Skill Building Co-Chairs:

  • Finished grade 9 skillbuilding manual.
  • Lists of all sessions for regionals.
  • Have backpocket games.

 

Public Relations:

  • Edited the updated corporate package and donation letter.
  • Sent out emails and messages for grade nine how-tos.
  • Confirmed How-to NSSSA.
  • Confirmed several RC members for How-tos.

 

Public Relations Promo:

  • Started to promote smile on our social medias.
  • Worked alongside the webmaster to learn how to properly engage on social media.
  • Sent out official emails to 101.5 the Hawk and 98.9 XFM.

 

WENDY’s:

  • Finished and sent the PR’s the talent show forms.
  • Memorized more cheers from the cheer bible.

 

Head School Reps:

  • Booked a presentation at Ecole Beau-Port for Tuesday September 20th. The principal hasn’t emailed back with a time yet. We are hoping to get a response by tomorrow so we can ask Richmond’s principal if the Head School Reps can go to Richmond Academy the same day, as the two schools are only 20 minutes apart.
  • Logan and Maria were trained over the phone on Tuesday evening with the Head School Representative Coordinator, Mitchell Archibald.
  • Logan and Maria held the School Rep Retreat Saturday, September 17th for the School Reps in Strait region. There were 3 students besides Logan and Maria who attended; Ethan Fraser from Cape Breton Highlands Academy, Daphne O’Clair from Pomquet, and Mackenzie Casey from Canso Academy. They said it was very beneficial for them and they felt a lot more comfortable with their position when they left.
  • Ethan from CBHA said he is comfortable to present to the grade nines at his school about Grade 9 Event, and Daphne said the same about her school.
  • There is only one school that either hasn’t replied, or doesn’t have a School Rep to do the presentation for grade nine event, and that is Inverness.
  • Other than Inverness, all schools will have an NSSSA Presentation given to their grade nine students within the next two weeks.

 

Welcoming Co-Chairs:

  • Collected more yarn and made some more fuzzies.
  • Going to ask Alex LeBlanc about getting some of his supplies (puzzles) left over from grade nine conference 2015.

 

Secretary:

  • Sent out minutes to RC.
  • Didn’t get a chance to go into Ross Screen Print- will go early next week.

 

Co-Premiers:

  • Contacted Principal Janice Gough (By phone) contract is being created with town of Port Hawkesbury Recreation. Hopefully going Wednesday,
  • Contact from Stephanie Purcell (Zac Crose’s manager) phone call discussion Monday.
  • Contact From Susan Grant for a meeting on Monday at 3 to discuss our conference more before assigned an event coordinator.
  • Created a full itinerary for Regional Conference.
  • Called Janice Gough on Tuesday. We will have same setup as last year for grade 9 event at SAERC. She booked the rooms for us, although the auditorium is already booked so we will use gym.
  • Sent out the grade 9 advisor/delegate forms to webmaster.
  • Will release grade 9 forms on Monday the 19th-collected on the 29th.
  • Decided that Paddy will deal with finances, Zac will deal with emails.
  • Going to charge $25 for grade 9 event.
  • Asked Molly about Awesome. Antigonish-isn’t a reason why we can’t apply. Although we still need to confirm this with stfx.
  • Regional forms-will talk to event coordinator at St.FX to put a cap on forms in the contract. This will push delegates to get their forms in faster.
  • Going to have personal check-in at skillbuilding retreat for RC on October 9th- or a different date on google hangouts. RC members can discuss any questions or concerns they have about their position or their experience on Cabinet that they don’t want to talk about at our weekly meetings.

 

Head Chaperones:

  • Hope to have chaperone forms in and submitted by three weeks before Regional Conference.

 

Regional Advisor

  • Sent photos to the PRs of the list of community groups and services which are listed at the back of the Antigonish Quarterly.

 

Head Logistics:

  • Considered people for logistic positions at regional conference.

 

New Business:

  • Colours analogy-going to stray away from red and blue analogy to explain the limits of physical contact that delegates can have with each other. Far better off to just be direct with them.
  • Will not have a co-ed sleeping room. Parents will not send their kids to conference if they know that girls and boys will both be sleeping in the same room.
  • Not many complaints about the sleeping arrangements that we already have in place-parents just assume that it is split by gender. Sleeping arrangements will not change. Although it was discussed to have a room for those who feel uncomfortable with their sleeping arrangements at conference.

 

Meet Your RC Video

  • No specific theme.
  • We want to make the video fun and lighthearted, but at the same time, inform. delegates about what we do on cabinet.
  • Table scene from Too many cooks-adult swim.
  • Sitcom idea-family dynamic.
  • Intro theme from Friends or Full House.

 

New Positional Tasks:

For each new positional tasks, refer to the timeline.