NSSSA Minutes From:
Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting
Location: 45 Tamara Drive
Time of Commencement: 5:05pm
Time of Adjournment: 6:21pm
Duration: 1 hour 16 minutes
Present Voting Members: Aidan Doucet, Molly Vokey, Kara MacDougall, Wamfa Kumdoung, Noor Mohrez, Ria Juurlink, Payton MacMillan, Margaret Ann Gillis, Monica Lumsden, Sam Silver, Maddie Eher, Jack Clapperton, Emma Jewkes, Tessa Pelrine, Kinnon Wallace, Angus Kennedy, Mathew MacEachern
Present Non-Voting Members: Katelyn Libbus, Dawn Thompson, Rebecca MacKeen,
Regrets: Paddy Wallace, Logan Fox, Avery LeLièvre, Zac Foran, Wilfred Bowie
- Entered cabinet’s information into B.O.P. database.
- Edited G.R.O.O.V.E. forms.
- Finished G.R.O.O.V.E. confirmation email.
Skill Building Co-Chairs:
- Worked on sessions 2 and 3 for G.R.O.O.V.E. skillbuilding manual.
- Made SB material list for B.O.P.
- Emailed the Hawk and XFM about promotion for regional conference.
- Visited more businesses and did follow-ups on previously visited businesses.
- Made social media posts.
- Added to how-to database.
- Have most cabinet pictures and questions for delegate manual.
- Business database is up to date.
- Looking into promoting conference through businesses such as Mark’s Work Wearhouse.
- The Antigonish Bike Shop agreed to doing a how-to at regionals.
- Spoke to Coles about fundraising opportunity.
- Picked cheers for B.O.P.
- Met up with Aidan to go over cheers and ideas.
- Practiced the cheer bible.
Head School Reps:
- Organized and held presentation for grade nines at the Richmond Academy school.
- Went to SAREC to help promote.
- Found a rep for Richmond.
- Had check-ins with the reps.
- Presentations were done at SAERC, Canso, the East, Guysborough, Pomquet, and Sherbrooke by their school reps.
- Made more fuzzies.
- Fuzzie count: around 140. Aiming to make 200-250.
- Completed the welcoming email.
- Finished planning out B.O.P. welcoming activity.
- Sent out September 23rd meeting’s minutes to cabinet.
- Posted minutes on website.
- Continued to receive money for RC apparel from cabinet members.
- Drafted email for Steve from First Choice regarding regional t-shirts.
- Contacted Rebecca Mesay about being a keynote speaker and trying to establish a meeting time.
- Talked with parents and delegates regarding details about grade nine event.
- Sent email to StFX about both skillbuilding retreats in conference rooms. (October 12th and November 10th)
- Booked a bus to transport Dr.J and East delegates to and from grade nine event.
Head First Aid:
Head Mental Health First Aid:
- Had a check-in with Sara regarding changes to registration for Provincial Conference and how Advisors are going to be notified of online registrations this year.
- Received 26 forms for B.O.P. from Dr.J, and waiting to receive more.
- Got information about rep for Dalbrae and has an advisor for Dalbrae.
Coles Bookstore Offer
- Coles Antigonish offered the opportunity for RC to be involved in a clearance event where cabinet will receive a percentage of the money made during that particular day.
- Cabinet agreed this would be a good opportunity to promote NSSSA and to fundraise money for bursaries.
- PR’s will continue to look into this offer.
B.O.P How-To Fair
- All cabinet members who are available to participate in the B.O.P. How-to fair must send their idea to the PRs ASAP.
- Current how-to ideas being done; “how to chill”, “how to glow”, “how to bellydance”, “how-to fuzzy”, “how to student leadership/student council” and a photobooth.
- Make how-to booths fun and interactive to develop connection and engagement with delegate.
B.O.P. EPIC theme
- Theme will be “space” and skillbuilders will be aliens.
- Wendys will give more info on EPIC details soon.
- Delegate numbers are currently undetermined. Numbers should increase after receiving more forms on Monday and Tuesday.
- Co-premiers told cabinet that late forms will be accepted but only until Tuesday. More forms should not be passed out before Tuesday.
- SAERC needs an advisor.
Skillbuilding supply list for B.O.P.
- Materials needed; smarties, paper, and writing utensils.
- A speaker for music is needed. Molly and Mat plan to bring theirs.
- Cabinet discussed increasing the use of posters and social media when promoting for regional conference.
- RC will have a bonding event to make posters together before G.R.O.O.V.E.. promotion begins.
Positionl Itinerary for BOP
- Everyone needs to check the itinerary sent by Sam so they know what they need to be doing at all times during the event. .
- Cabinet members will arrive at SAERC between 8:00 and 8:30am on the day of B.O.P. Event starts at 9:30am. Carpooling arrangements will be organized through a Facebook poll.
October 12th meeting
- The mandatory B.O.P skillbuilding retreat/meeting will begin at 5:00pm at StFX.
- Jack will print off manuals for B.O.P. skillbuilder at Staples.
- Using phones for skillbuilding manual is acceptable at SB retreat but unacceptable during sessions at grade nine event.
- No meeting next Sunday (October 7th).
- Co-premiers will have check-ins over Google Hangout with all cabinet positions throughout this weekend. An empty schedule will be sent out and members can choose the time slot that works best for them.
StFX open house
- StFX has agreed to hold a private open house for NSSSA cabinet members, as the official openhouse is the same day as B.O.P.
- Rebecca will let cabinet know when she has more details. The open house is open to all cabinets in the province.
- Transportation for Dr.J and East delegates via school bus will require students to pay in advance.
- There is a chance there may not enough room for all delegates interested in taking the bus, so it will be based on first come, first served.
- Conference Committee will be ordering iron-on patches of the NSSSA logo.
- The order is open to all cabinets. If you wish to buy one, let Sam or Monica know.
- Price is currently undetermined.
Adjournment: Monica motioned to adjourn the meeting. Mathew seconded the motion. Meeting was adjourned.