NSSSA Minutes From:
Strait Regional Cabinet Meeting
Location: 1 Harbour View Crt
Time of Commencement: 5:02
Time of Adjournment: 5:56
Duration: 54 minutes
Present Voting Members: Sam Silver, Monica Lumsden, Ria Juurlink, Aidan Doucet, Matthew MacEachern, Emma Jewkes, Kara MacDougall, Tessa Pelrine, Kinnon Wallace, Margaret Ann Gillis, Molly Vokey, Payton MacMillan
Present Non-Voting Members: Rebecca MacKeen, Dawn Thompson
Late: Maddie Ehler, Angus Kennedy, Noor Mohrez
Regrets: Wamfa Kumdoung, Logan Fox, Avery LeLeivre, Will Bowie, Zac Foran, Jack Clapperton
No-Shows: Paddy Wallace, Katelyn Libbus
- Created a template database for the grade nine conference.
- Created a database for the regional conference.
Skill Building Co-Chairs:
- Completed first session in the skillbuilding manual for grade nine event.
- Started working on the second session.
- Sent out delegate manual questions to cabinet.
- Started database for donations.
- Started to organize social media contests.
- Brainstormed on the “spiel” for collecting donations.
- Brainstormed ideas for EPIC.
- Memorized cheers from cheer bible.
- Started looking into gathering costumes.
Head School Reps:
- Drafted emails that are to be sent to past graduated and non-graduated school reps. These emails will ask past non-graduated reps if they would like to continue their roles as well as asking graduated reps about potential reps. Emails will be sent out shortly.
- Made around 20 fuzzies.
- Decided on doing a similar activity to the concept of “playfair” that was done by one of the keynote speakers at the Rise Up 2018 provincial conference.
- Edited and sent out the minutes from August 11th’s meeting to cabinet.
- Posted the August 11th minutes as well as the minutes from the meeting held at retreat
- Sent an email to cabinet asking for sweater sizes and made a database for the sizes.
- Meeting with STFX representations on September 6th to discuss booking, contract, catering and accommodations for the regional conference. Co-premiers would like to look into increasing the amount of space available on campus during regional conference in the case of a large increase in delegates.
- Tentative dates for regional conference are still November 17th-18th and October 13th for grade nine event.
Head First Aid:
Head Mental Health First Aid:
- RC sweaters will be a lavender purple.
- All cabinet clothing orders will go through First Choice clothing.
- Cabinet will also be placing orders for bucket hats, and will order for students from other regions cabinets if desired.
Shared Regional Conferences
- PC has decided that people from outside regions can attend Strait regional conferences, and therefore strait region members can attend other regional conferences.
- Since there is now a possibility of having delegates from outside provinces, 3-tions will add a section on the regional forms where delegates can signify which region they are coming from.
- If cabinet members need to purchase supplies for anything cabinet related, they must notify the copremiers before purchasing anything in order to receive a cheque req.
- The possibility of having Sean Fraser as a keynote speaker was brought up. It was discussed that a certain political message could be interpreted by delegates or parents if he spoke at the regional conference, given Fraser’s political background. Cabinet agreed that the NSSSA is not politically affiliated and should remain that way. Therefore, it was decided it would be better to incorporate Fraser during other parts of conference such as opening ceremonies.
- Cabinet members should be on the lookout for potential keynote speakers.
- Cabinet discussed naming the grade nine event B.O.P (Beginning Opportunities Positively and G.R.O.O.V.E (Growing Real Opportunities in Our Various Environments) for regionals.
- Co-premiers would like cabinet members to create possible logos for grade nine event and regionals.
- It is very important to have Sunday evenings free and have work booked off well ahead of time to ensure consistent attendance at meetings
- It is especially important to have grade the entire weekend of regionals booked off, as well as the day of grade nine event.
- Sam motioned to name Strait Region’s 2018 grade nine event “B.O.P.” Angus seconded the motion. One was opposed.14 members were in favor. Motion was passed.
- Monica motioned to name Strait Region’s 2018 regional conference “G.R.O.O.V.E” Molly seconded the motion. Cabinet was unanimously in favor of the motion. Motion was passed.
Adjournment: Monica motioned to adjourn the meeting, Margaret Ann seconded the motion. Meeting was adjourned